• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Banned from a private course resulting from a review on this site

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the main issue here is why take such offense to a 3 disc rating. I mean I get that it's this guy's private course and that he did all of the work and he's the maintenance, grounds keeping, and any other crew for the course. What I don't understand is why said course owner would go off on a profanity laden tirade on a reviewer.

Seems like the guy is a jagoff to me.

Or there's something that's being left out of this by the OP and the Reviewer that happened at the course between the reviewer and owner that resulted in this ban.

But without the benefit of seeing the PM. I have to say that the owner lacks tact. Wouldn't it be simpler to PM the reviewer and ask him for more information on why he rated the course low?

I guess I have a hard time seeing the course owner as in the right in this situation. He could have avoided being a dick and then we wouldn't have this thread and we wouldn't have other people bitching about how his course isn't really that great to begin with.

I'm with the others who've said if you don't want to see bad reviews of your course don't post your course on a website titled DISC GOLF COURSE REVIEW.

Just another reason that each day I lose a little faith in the human race.

Stupid should be painful.

^^^HA!!!

Anyone calling out a course owner is ridiculous. You don't need to go to the private course someone is spending countless hundreds of hours building/maintaining for your benefit.

^^^HA!!!

Anyone calling out a course owner is ridiculous. You don't need to go to the private course someone is spending countless hundreds of hours building/maintaining for your benefit.

I don't know man I mean lets say you run a privately owned restaurant. I've seen good reviews for your establishment on yelp, urbanspoon or google. I have an ok time at your restaurant and the meal is so so. When I'm leaving I see the owner on the way out and he asks me how my experience was.

I respond in a polite manner (nothing scathing towards the owner was said in the review here) And tell the owner what I did not enjoy about my service or my meal.

The owner responds to me with a profanity laced tirade. Or to make this more similar to the situation in question I leave a review of your restaurant and give it 3 stars when most other reviewers have given it four. And you respond to me via email with a profanity laced tirade and ban me from your establishment.

So what you're saying is because someone owns a business. They're not able to receive criticism on said business. And that it's ok to act like a jerk and curse someone out over what they did not like about your business?

And it's not like the reviewer gave this 1 disc or gave a review that was all critical.

And before you report my post again I was careful not to use any language which would be considered by some to be profane.

Also I understand that a restaurant or independent business is different from a private disc golf course with regards to maintenance, staff, and other variables. But at the end of the day it's a business and it's not really good business to ban your customers if they give you a poor review.

Also I understand that a restaurant or independent business is different from a private disc golf course with regards to maintenance, staff, and other variables. But at the end of the day it's a business and it's not really good business to ban your customers if they give you a poor review.

I don't think your comparison to a restaurant is far off. I know of plenty of restaurants and other small business where the whole staff is just a husband and wife team.

The big difference is that a restaurant relies on the public for business and to stay open. They want customers to come in and spend their money. A person that has a private course is giving you the priviledge to play on his/her property.

I don't think your comparison to a restaurant is far off. I know of plenty of restaurants and other small business where the whole staff is just a husband and wife team.

That's kind of what I was going for so I'm glad you're in agreement. I figured I would catch flak because people would say that private disc golf course owners aren't in it to make any money. I'm sure the profit margins aren't great in owning a disc golf course. So I get that they're doing it because they love the sport.

I just think it's bad business no matter what you're doing to respond to a complaint/criticism by banning the customer and yelling at them.

If the owner saw this guy being a chucker leaving trash everywhere or breaking bottles on the course, doing drugs on his property, selling hookers anything a ban and profanity laced tirade would seem justified. But over a critical review? C'mon Man.

The big difference is that a restaurant relies on the public for business and to stay open. They want customers to come in and spend their money. A person that has a private course is giving you the priviledge to play on his/her property.

I agree with you there. But the person with a private course is also relying on the donation box in order to help with upkeep and maintenance costs. So if people stop coming to the course all together because anyone that has any criticism constructive or otherwise gets banned. Then you don't have anyone to help you pay for upkeep because you've driven all of your customers away.

Why would you build a private course if you didn't want anyone to come back.

And I say again. I'm fine with a private property owner banning someone because they're a nuisance. But banning someone for giving criticism of your course seems a bit harsh. And doing so in such a way that involved a profanity laced tirade (as described by the OP and reviewer) seems overkill.

I don't know man I mean lets say you run a privately owned restaurant. I've seen good reviews for your establishment on yelp, urbanspoon or google. I have an ok time at your restaurant and the meal is so so. When I'm leaving I see the owner on the way out and he asks me how my experience was.

I respond in a polite manner (nothing scathing towards the owner was said in the review here) And tell the owner what I did not enjoy about my service or my meal.

The owner responds to me with a profanity laced tirade. Or to make this more similar to the situation in question I leave a review of your restaurant and give it 3 stars when most other reviewers have given it four. And you respond to me via email with a profanity laced tirade and ban me from your establishment.

So what you're saying is because someone owns a business. They're not able to receive criticism on said business. And that it's ok to act like a jerk and curse someone out over what they did not like about your business?

And it's not like the reviewer gave this 1 disc or gave a review that was all critical.

And before you report my post again I was careful not to use any language which would be considered by some to be profane.

Good analogy.......Not sure if the course is pay to play or not, but from a review perspective it is nice to know that an owner, neighbor, player, community is a bad apple........especially for people who are not from the area and traveling long distances to play a course. Then people can decide whether they want to go and how to "handle" their opinions of it afterwards. I have never played this course, but it looks pretty solid. I have a feeling that there is more to this story that we are not hearing completely about.

If I am wrong I apologize, but it just doesn't add up completely.......If the story is completely true and their isn't anything more to add to the story then the owner of that course should take his course off the website. Banning somebody for an opinion delivered in a intelligent way sounds like something you would see in North Korea. Sounds like a good way to get your rating up on your course though????

In conclusion......I think the owner should just remove the course from the site if he is really that sensitive about it and just let friends and family come by and play it. That way he wouldn't have to stress about reviews from people he does not know.

Good analogy.......Not sure if the course is pay to play or not, but from a review perspective it is nice to know that an owner, neighbor, player, community is a bad apple........especially for people who are not from the area and traveling long distances to play a course. Then people can decide whether they want to go and how to "handle" their opinions of it afterwards. I have never played this course, but it looks pretty solid. I have a feeling that there is more to this story that we are not hearing completely about.

If I am wrong I apologize, but it just doesn't add up completely.......If the story is completely true and their isn't anything more to add to the story then the owner of that course should take his course off the website. Banning somebody for an opinion delivered in a intelligent way sounds like something you would see in North Korea. Sounds like a good way to get your rating up on your course though????

In conclusion......I think the owner should just remove the course from the site if he is really that sensitive about it and just let friends and family come by and play it. That way he wouldn't have to stress about reviews from people he does not know.
I agree with you and I feel as though something from this story is missing. But based on the information provided. It seems as though the course owner really doesn't want to hear anyones opinion of his course unless it's REALLY POSITIVE. That said I don't think the review is one of the most well written reviews on this site but it's not a horrible example of education in the United Sates of America that some reviews are. But yeah man if you don't want to hear the good and the bad about your course then don't put your course on an open forum on the internet to be criticized.

I agree with you there. But the person with a private course is also relying on the donation box in order to help with upkeep and maintenance costs. So if people stop coming to the course all together because anyone that has any criticism constructive or otherwise gets banned. Then you don't have anyone to help you pay for upkeep because you've driven all of your customers away.

Why would you build a private course if you didn't want anyone to come back.

And I say again. I'm fine with a private property owner banning someone because they're a nuisance. But banning someone for giving criticism of your course seems a bit harsh. And doing so in such a way that involved a profanity laced tirade (as described by the OP and reviewer) seems overkill.

I didn't know about the donation box. With regards to why build a private course: I would want one so that I could design it to my liking, keep out the riff-raff, have an opportunity to play when I want and how I want without dealing with various jackassery. If I had my own course, I wouldn't have it advertised on this site, though. I would keep it to myself and my friends.

Last edited:
I didn't know about the donation box. With regards to why build a private course: I would want one so that I could design it to my liking, keep out the riff-raff, have an opportunity to play when I want and how I want without dealing with various jackassery. If I had my own course, I wouldn't have it advertised on this site, though. I would keep it to myself and my friends.

I'm sorry I was assuming that a private course would also be pay to play. Any private course I've played had one.

In making this assumption I've possibly made an ass out of u or me and I'm sorry for that. (profanity included for bad news bears reference)

^^^HA!!!

I'm interested in supporting the reviewer (and future reviewers), not so much in chastising the owner. I want people to feel comfortable writing critical reviews, because those are useful. The course owner seems interested intimidating would-be critics, and I just want to provide a counterbalance to that.

In general, I think people feel a social pressure not to be as critical of private courses in reviews, and that this is just an extreme manifestation of those kinds of pressures.

Sounds like that could happen. So any locals want to call out the DBs that have been leaving trash? That is a beautiful pieces of land, and it is a shame it has been mistreated. I for one hope Morgan treas the trash dumpers with the lack of respect they deserve.

I don't know where the trash comments came from? I mean there are some occasional beer cans/bottles at tee pads and such but someone had commented that they saw more broken glass then anywhere they have played. This is just outright false. I live 40 mins south of hyzer and I have no idea about broken glass on the course. Now maybe this person came and played our city park course Central Park in Schenectady now there is a definitely a broken glass problem on hole 14. It was a former homeless camping area when we built the course 2 years ago and glass is a pain to get up. We've done a lot but it's still there.

Also to the OP I didn't think your review was that bad. It was an honest opinion. I too think some of the tee pads are awkward and I helped install them. I have the same run up on a 200 ft hole as I do on a 400 ft hole so some of those real short pads are kind of a pain. Although I did get my 1st ace this year on one of those short pads Hole 3 @ Hyzer so they can't be that awkward. ;) I also think Morgan is being a bit over the top by banning you for a ok review.

Last edited:
I suppose if I am ever to build my own course I might just keep it private / invite only to avoid any of the associated headaches from people who cant respect the property, i dont mind picking up my own trash but i sure dont want to pick up other peoples...

There is never an excuse for littering. Doing it on someone's private property is low life. If it's that bad there I can't blame the owner for being touchy.

Sounds like a good way to get your rating up on your course though????

It works for Idlewild... I get the feeling the real reason behind the course owner's anger is that he is obsessed with becoming the #1 course in NY, which would indicate to me that he IS hoping to increase business through ratings and increase the donations he receives from players. This is conjecture but I'm pretty confident in my ability to read between the lines. If I'm right, then the course owner is way out of line (though not outside of his rights as owner of course).

It works for Idlewild... I get the feeling the real reason behind the course owner's anger is that he is obsessed with becoming the #1 course in NY, which would indicate to me that he IS hoping to increase business through ratings and increase the donations he receives from players. This is conjecture but I'm pretty confident in my ability to read between the lines. If I'm right, then the course owner is way out of line (though not outside of his rights as owner of course).

No way it will ever be the # 1 course in NY. Here are a few better ones right off the top of my head. Warwick, Parma, Chilli, FDR.

Last edited:
What course was this? I didn't see anything bad on hyzer creek...unless I missed it the pm wasn't ever posted ether?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts