• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Beast, Old mold vs. new mold

Where are these and are they available in glow yet!?!?!?

I found only one at my local, dg dedicated store (dtw). Ice clear with a silver stamp, 175g jolly launcher on the gummy side of medium with a mild dome. Glow should eventually trickle out.

How do the champion new old mold....ahhh shoot this is sounding like a destroyer/roc/teebird/aviar/innova thread... Why do I love all these molds so much when all they do is change? So many questions... Hoping these throw like new old pearly orcs!

I threw mine a couple of rounds the day I got it and it's going to take some beating in, or a bigger arm than mine, to get more than -.5 turn on the Innova rating system. I generally only carry one distance driver for dual, strong head wind/high hyzer duties and this one will suffice.

Oh, and just a heads up, my gstar x mold Beast, after 2 months of heavy use, already beat into where my pre Barry is after 1.5 years of use.

Seeing that it never freezes here, me thinks that I'm done with gstar unless I hit the lottery.

I recently got a deal? ($8) on a 161g, clear, gummy pre Barry thrown only a handful of times and to my surprise, it held into a 10mph headwind with a healthy fade at 370' of power.

Also, what is it about gummy discs that feels heavier upon release? Not when held in the hand but at the last split second where it counts... some sort of recoil?

My guess it's the disc flexing while it's being pulled away.

I remember when those clear gummy pre-Barrys were going for a lot of money ($50+). The Beast market has died down quite a bit. From what I recall that plastic was very durable.

Found what appears to be the new old mold Best in Dx at my Academy. Just had to buy and go throw. Wow, this is a much better disc for me. On just a couple throws was as long and almost as stable as a VIP Sword I had in the truck. Not sure if I have a spot for a 10 speed driver, but I will continue to test it and will buy in Star or G* if I ever see one.

I'm really looking forward to the more stable mold in star but who knows when they'll get around to running it.

So I have one 2xBarry Champion Beast, no patent numbers on back but the usual www.innovadiscs.com etc, flight numbers on the plate. 175g, feel slightly used, feels really beefy. Only threw it few times after I traded it last autumn or so.

I just bought one Star Beast, 165g, no flight numbers on the plate, patent number on back, no www. Threw my longest drive ever with this, about 115m, tiny uphill.

I guess the champion is new old mold, but what about the star, new mold, or old old mold? Star has clearly lower plh, but wing shape looks quite identical (both have flat rims, no concave).

I think star is new mold. The dome might differ, but that's it.
Old mold is 1x champ or pre barry champ. And old mold rules.

I found a pre barry/ pre flight numbers old mold star beast. No name on it. I don't have much experience with the different versions of the beast, but I love throwing this one.

I found a pre barry/ pre flight numbers old mold star beast. No name on it. I don't have much experience with the different versions of the beast, but I love throwing this one.

All of the stock stamped, pfn stars are going to be the less stable version since Innova replaced the stable version in 04, a good year or two (depending on the mold) before star came out.

Look for the stable star version to come out as soon as they run low on star plastic since Innova only has the more stable mold now.

I predict it's going to be a big winner since the new, more stable champs are quite a bit more stable than the 1x, pre Barrys and the stars should be a much closer match.

Last edited:

Latest posts