• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best color for the woods?

I play several wooded courses with blind shots, and my white Neutron Wave is the easiest to find. I have a few others that are pink, and I'll give them a runner-up.

I play several wooded courses with blind shots, and my white Neutron Wave is the easiest to find. I have a few others that are pink, and I'll give them a runner-up.
Today I did a long putt with an orange disc (lots of leaves on the ground) and I figured since it was very close to the basket, I'd spot it easily. LOL, I had to comb the area for quite a while to find it.
Won't do that again, regardless how short the putt🤓

Today I did a long putt with an orange disc (lots of leaves on the ground) and I figured since it was very close to the basket, I'd spot it easily. LOL, I had to comb the area for quite a while to find it.
Won't do that again, regardless how short the putt🤓
Yes, it's that time of the year again. Tomorrow planning on playing a favorite an hour away with more than half the pin positions in heavy woods and canopy and can be dark. The leaves shouldn't be layered yet, but I'm not risking or want to be tempted to use my dark blue Out of Production Plasma Tangent I've grown fond of, its staying home.

Another vote for Pink or light blue for general 4 seasons. They excel in fall leaves.

the only problem with pinks is the older/dirtier/beat up the disc the more earth toned it can become. But that's a general rule for any color.

having played in really bad New England fall leaves I learned that it the leaves are super dry and fluffy its best to have the mindset that odds are high you can lose a disc even if you see where it lands (could even be a short 15ft putt).

avoid extra throws especially on solo rounds.

I also noticed that it's better to only play those super wooded courses with piles of leaves after a good rain when the leaves are matted down and I'll stick to more open courses if possible.

Another vote for Pink or light blue for general 4 seasons. They excel in fall leaves.

the only problem with pinks is the older/dirtier/beat up the disc the more earth toned it can become. But that's a general rule for any color.

having played in really bad New England fall leaves I learned that it the leaves are super dry and fluffy its best to have the mindset that odds are high you can lose a disc even if you see where it lands (could even be a short 15ft putt).

avoid extra throws especially on solo rounds.

I also noticed that it's better to only play those super wooded courses with piles of leaves after a good rain when the leaves are matted down and I'll stick to more open courses if possible.
Very true but the wooded courses when the leaves start falling with cool days are perfect times to play, IMO. Played in these conditions yesterday and I only used light blue discs except for the one time on a long putt when I used an orange disc (as mentioned above) and it took forever to find it.
Ive purchased a few $10 discs in shades of light blue to use specifically in the fall.

I also noticed when throwing the disc often slide along the ground before stopping which often buries them underneath leaves or tall grass which seems to swallow up disc.

I've lost a few to the 6+inch deep leaf piles on my course before. One time I shanked a shot 150 feet into the deep leaves and never found it. I went right after it and the monster that lives under the 6" pile of leaves got it. 🤬 No color would have helped (unless the disc was on fire or maybe radioactive!)

Pink is the best overall. Orange is ok although as mentioned can be tricky in some seasons/lighting. Whatever color you choose, it will be easier to find if you get ones that fluoresce. You can check with a black light and if they light up when hit with a black light that's what you're looking for. Even yellows and greens will be surprisingly easy to find if they are fluorescent.

Echoing the light blue and pink. Blue is one of the rarest colors in nature -- other than the sky, of course -- it's even hard to find blue flowers. With the asterisk that if your course includes water, water reflects the sky and camouflages the blue. Pink is a little more common in nature but, unless you throw into a thick patch of flowers, your pink disc probably won't find anywhere to hide.

There may also be local variations. White is one of the showiest colors in the woods, but our course has chunks of white quartz in places. Plus, if you play a public course with litter issues, that litter is overwhelmingly white, too, which your disc knows and will use to blend in with the crowd. Particularly if there are paper plates involved.

Nor are all woods created equal. Where there is deeper shade, brighter colors help. Where there aren't colorful fallen leaves, orange and yellow discs are less of an autumn issue.

Echoing the light blue and pink. Blue is one of the rarest colors in nature -- other than the sky, of course -- it's even hard to find blue flowers. With the asterisk that if your course includes water, water reflects the sky and camouflages the blue. Pink is a little more common in nature but, unless you throw into a thick patch of flowers, your pink disc probably won't find anywhere to hide.

There may also be local variations. White is one of the showiest colors in the woods, but our course has chunks of white quartz in places. Plus, if you play a public course with litter issues, that litter is overwhelmingly white, too, which your disc knows and will use to blend in with the crowd. Particularly if there are paper plates involved.

Nor are all woods created equal. Where there is deeper shade, brighter colors help. Where there aren't colorful fallen leaves, orange and yellow discs are less of an autumn issue. drift boss
Oh, endless knowledge, now I know this information, it's so interesting.

I had mentioned before how blue is good but that I tend to find a lot of blue beer cans in the woods, thinking they might be a blue disc. Someone, can't remember and don't care to, got into a back and forth about how the cans I said I was finding were only from a specific era and that I was essentially wrong in my observation. It was pretty dumb. So this is my roundabout way of saying blue doesn't occur in nature, but beer cans that are blue end up there. Thanks for reading.

Bright pink or white if I'm using a DX type of dull finish plastic. If I've got my Star bag out, I find that all of those bright glossy colors are easy to see any time. This is why I no longer throw Champ. I can't see them at all.

I'm also of the mindset that pink is king, while any dayglow color is great as is light to medium blues. I actually find that lighter purples are super easy to find fore in green areas. I avoid any non dayglow greens, and neutral colors (except for my short range stuff hat I typically throw 150' or less) and most non transparent reds. A UV light can be a great addition if you're playing near dawn/dusk especially if you throw a lot of Champ/Z/Opto/Proton type stuff, but it also works great for Star/ESP/Fuzion/Neutron stuff that's brighter colors.

4 seasoner here too

another vote for pink and light blue

white clear black green and yellow are ones i avoid

I love the light blue colors, and I bag a few, but I have noticed that light blue can blend right into the snow pack, while pink really sticks out. So I'd say it's a 3 season winner, can kinda be problematic in the snow. Same goes for orange but a different season - come fall time and the leaves down, it's basically camo and can vanish in some smattering of leaves.

Pink is the real standout winner for all seasons if you're like me and are lucky to live in a place that gets all 4 seasons. I'm not one of those guys who bags all one color, so I have a variety of blue, red, orange and pink, or at least I try to.

I did go through my bag a few years ago and took out a couple of really nice flyers that were yellow that just gave me too much pause trying to find them. My early philosophy on that was who cares, if I lose them I lose them but it really got to the point that those yellow discs were constant repeat offenders in that "missing taking to long to find" discs while my pinks and reds I could see from a mile away.

Bright blue! Works year-round. Neon pink would be my second choice. Less contrast with some fall leaf colors, though.

In my home course in the spring bloom some of the blues & purples get a little lost in the flowers.
Interesting.

All we can do is make decent "rule of thumb" recommendations that apply to most courses based on experience. What works best on any given course (and for any individual) can definitely vary.

About the only thing I can say that's true pretty much across the board, is that tie-dye discs are consistently among the hardest to find.

Latest posts