• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best discs for throwing backhand....

pdisc

One day I was throwing discs in a field and started to throw some of them backhanded. When I did that, I went "holy (bleep)" because I found that I could throw them just as far, or even farther, and even with more accuracy thand my forehand drives.

The discs I mostly used were my Pro Beast, Starfire DX, and a Champion Monarch (with a grove lid, makes a nice huge S turn when I throw it right). What would you recommend as good backhand discs?

Upon further review the call has been reversed and I am back to forehand drives. To many grip locks and God knows what else. Always an adventure when I throw backhand.Forehand is much better and I use a teebird(164g)but have found it does well for some backhanders too.

Dont know your are speed/power/technique...etc? Teebirds are good disc that fly straight and are reliable.

The straightest flying disc I have ever thrown (RHBH) is the Discraft XL.

pretty much anything stable to slightly understable will probably float your boat. Try a Viking or Valkyrie and depending on if it's too much/not enough disc for you move up or down the speed list.

My best long and straight backhand is an Avenger SS.
Other good choices are JLS, Teebird and Eagle.

Pick a stable disc, right in the middle of the chart. If you pick a disc that is more neutral in its stability, and you learn how to throw it flat and hard, this will be the foundation of your game. I would recommend you pick a stable disc and buy two of them. Purchase one max weight (175g) and one in the 165-170g range. Use the lighter disc in open fields and tailwinds. Use the heavier disc in the woods and in headwinds.

If you are new to disc golf, the fairway drivers are a good place to start, such as the Innova T-Bird. A brand-new T-Bird starts out a little overstable but, once the T-Bird gets broken in, it flies dead straight--this disc should be in everyone's bag. For distance drivers, the Innova Wraith is a good choice, but I would recommend the Innova Orc. Although it's not quite as fast as the Wraith, the Orc flies dead straight and tends to be more consistent.

As you improve your game and develop more snap, you'll start turning over that Monarch. That S-Curve you're getting from the Monarch will instead curve right...and curve right...and curve right into the ground. At that point you can keep it in your bag as a roller. The Beast will always be good in a tailwind, but eventually you will begin to overpower it, too. The Starfire is a good all-around disc, but at some point I would recommend investing in premium plastic. After a few tree knocks, that DX plastic won't hold up and the disc's flight characteristics will change dramatically. I feel that DX plastic is fine for mid-ranges and putters, but the drivers travel at such high speeds...you would be better served by investing in premium plastic for your drivers.

disc selection is not what you should worry about when learning. good-great players can throw any stability of disc. learn how each disc works and work on consistancy with discs you own.

The straightest flying disc I have ever thrown (RHBH) is the Discraft XL.

That must be a beat one, because my XL fades to the left. The flight rating for an XL is -1/+3, so it has some fade at the end.

I tried my sons LS Polaris on a very tight fairway yesterday (10ft wide) and that disc went almost dead straight with no fade. I (cough, cough) kind of borrowed it from him for a while.

alot of people suggest the wraith but i doubt most of them can actually get it up to speed in max weight, the same thing with the orc if your not getting it up to speed itll throw alot like a beast or starfire so until you figure out your speed id start with something slower like a 175teebird .

I recently played a round with a pro whom I did not know was a pro until we had played almost the entire round but he kept nailing these beautiful long narrow fairways right down the middle. He almost aced a couple of such 350'ish holes (and I'm talking straight and narrow) and his go to disc was a Pro Starfire. I've never seen a disc go so far and so straight with no turnover and no fade.

I have a Champion Starfire and a Star Starfire L and they are both more pigish than my destroyer so I don't even throw them. I guess the Pro plastic beats in easier so his disc had reached it's sweet spot.

the pro starfire is a starfire long , i had one but it was 175 so i coundnt get it up to speed so it just hooked really bad.

im not sure what you mean by piggish but i find the lighter weight champs to be a little more floppy so i can start them out with a little anny kinda mimicing the high speed turn of the longs making it a great tunnel shot disc and if i need a little more of a hyzer shot i use a heavier one .

I recently played a round with a pro whom I did not know was a pro until we had played almost the entire round but he kept nailing these beautiful long narrow fairways right down the middle. He almost aced a couple of such 350'ish holes (and I'm talking straight and narrow) and his go to disc was a Pro Starfire. I've never seen a disc go so far and so straight with no turnover and no fade.

I have a Champion Starfire and a Star Starfire L and they are both more pigish than my destroyer so I don't even throw them. I guess the Pro plastic beats in easier so his disc had reached it's sweet spot.

That was me sidewinding. How you been old friend?

We both know you don't even play disc golf so you can just drop the act now.

The Discraft Cyclone is my recommendation for a first time RHBH. I found this disc about 10 years to late but it is still the straightest flying, easiest to use, fairway driver I have ever thrown. Think a slower teebird with more glide and you get the idea.

Well, I don't really know what to say because I kinda disagree with some of the stuff I've already read.

Everyone busts on the monarch but everyone hails the valk. I have a star valk and a champ monarch and see very little difference between the two as far as stability is concerned. Sure, there is probably a difference, but my technique is very far from being a constant.
I've been playing for about two and a half years now, and I can choose to turn a monarch over , or a valk, or a destroyer for that matter, but getting the exact amount of hyzer or anhyzer you want on any disc is a thing i believe we all struggle with. If you consistantly turn over a monach, have you tried throwing it at the same speed with a hyzer angle?
Keep in mind the record was set with a valk. not a boss... not a firebird....
Is anyone getting my point here?

Latest posts