• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

best DOG breed 4 disc golf!

The Bird Man

Birdie Member
I recently lost my dog. I had the most well behaved dog at the course. He was a pomeranian rescue. He would return to my side with the snap of my finger. He was one of the best things that ever happened to me. My family and I miss him dearly. Well, it has been 6 months and we are starting to look for another dog. I have been thinking about getting a Czech german Shepherd. I like there intelligence and serious attitude. I also want a dog that I can teach to go truffle hunting with me and to stay by my side when folfing.

So, I'm just curious what kind of stories people have about there disc dogs, what kind of breeds they like and why. Training ideas or whatever.

check out German short hair pointers. mine is amazing. they are hunting dogs and will fetch anything. they are also gentle enough bc of handling birds that they don't hurt discs. will also retrieve in water and so happy to do it.

catahula leopard hound. don't run away. don't pick up discs. don't get into fights with other dogs. incredibly loyal and smart. can go forever in any weather.

I can call my pointer off picking up discs but it's great for field work bc he brings then right back without a mark on them. and if I do throw one in the woods he will find it and wait for me while pointing at it

Though many find them intimidating, i love rotweilers.
They are very intelligent and eager to please. Mine is trained on non verbals so when i call her for petty stuff it never looks like i have to keep calling her.
The bonus is that they are very stong; theres a breed specific sport called carting with many sub catagories. I always wanted to get one that carries a person for me and my bag :)

Sorry to hear about the loss :'(

Though many find them intimidating, i love rotweilers.
They are very intelligent and eager to please. Mine is trained on non verbals so when i call her for petty stuff it never looks like i have to keep calling her.
The bonus is that they are very stong; theres a breed specific sport called carting with many sub catagories. I always wanted to get one that carries a person for me and my bag :)

Sorry to hear about the loss :'(

:thmbup:

I love rotties! Had one, and will get another at some point!

I don't think you can go wrong with any type of pointer/retriever. Any of them can be taught to find discs, and with extra training to leave them where they are. My pair of labs make more fans on the course than I do because of the number of discs they find for others. It's also pretty nice during rec rounds when you shank a shot into tall grass to just send them in.

Golden doodles are way smarter and much better behaved. They also are great with kids and are easy to train

Golden doodles are way smarter and much better behaved. They also are great with kids and are easy to train

way smarter and better behaved than what? saying any dog is better than another is the same as saying one disc is better than another. there is potential for certain attributes but it's all in how you train/ treat it

I went from having a Doberman to a bulldog/dachshund mix and (big surprise) am having discipline issues. My Doberman was a perfect dog, he was red and ears were uncut. Never had any problems with anyone being intimidated or concerned. This little bulldog gets left at home unless I am solo.

Any mutt will love discing. My lab/terrier mix loves golfing so much that if I move my bag around the house she starts whimpering. She knows where all the tee boxes are on a few courses and will go to the next one and wait for me.

catahula leopard hound. don't run away. don't pick up discs. don't get into fights with other dogs. incredibly loyal and smart. can go forever in any weather.

I believe EMac has a Catahula?? Or a catahula mix of some kind. I am sorry to hear about your loss and all I can say is that most dogs can be trained to disc with you. My 2 cents: Adopt if you can and only buy from a reputable breeder if you do buy.

I hate to say it but... DO NOT BUY DOGS FROM PET STORES!!!! In fact, don't shop at pet stores that sell dogs. If you do you are only supporting puppy mills. FACT.

I went from having a Doberman to a bulldog/dachshund mix and (big surprise) am having discipline issues. My Doberman was a perfect dog, he was red and ears were uncut. Never had any problems with anyone being intimidated or concerned. This little bulldog gets left at home unless I am solo.

Dachshunds can be really aggressive

So apparently every poster in this thread owns the smartest and most loyal dog

If I could like this I would. I've got a border collie mix right now that's getting better but is still so full of energy and curiosity. He's only about a year and a half though.

Thanks guys, I have enjoyed all the opinions.

Stanky- truffle hunting consists of looking for truffle mushrooms that are usually hidden under pine needles. I have a buddy that taught his dog, and it's just something to do together. You can make money doing it, but like my disc golf hobby, I don't expect to make anything.

Does anybody have experience with German Shepherds at the course? I have actually looked into Goldendoodles and Labradoodles. I like them, but if I was telling somebody about my dog, I would refer to it as a mutt. Lol. I came back to GSD's because of the nose and there drive.