• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

best DOG breed 4 disc golf!

I agree. I was going to bring her to an occasional random doubles when she settled into adult-dog behavior. It's quite common in my area to have a dog tag along once in a while.

I find it distracting enough to play my best without keeping a constant eye on my dog. She's been known to pee whenever/wherever the mood strikes. Although I would like to take her so I could spectate an A-tier event.

my cattle dog mix comes with me on most casual rounds including weekly dubs. he's pretty chill and no one seems to mind; and my friends are the type to say something if they minded. :)

I would say no to a German Shepherd as a disc dog, for all but the most casual rounds.

The reason is simple. too many people are scared of them. I personally have had 4 German Shepherds and they have been great dogs. But, I could ALWAYS tell the unease it put others in as I walked them. Any good dog owner knows its the owner, not the dog that will be the issue (either on course or in training beforehand) But to the casual person around, big dogs, (German shepherds, dobermans, rottweilers, pit bulls) are bad dogs. Why cause that trouble on the course?

If you are getting a dog to be a disc golf course dog don't go with a "politically questionable" dog.
If you are getting a dog for your own enjoyment at home, hiking, walking playing, etc. Everyday life. Then I would 100% advise a German Shepherd is an amazing dog. Just be aware that at some times, the best move is leaving him/her home.

Thanks guys, I have enjoyed all the opinions.

Stanky- truffle hunting consists of looking for truffle mushrooms that are usually hidden under pine needles. I have a buddy that taught his dog, and it's just something to do together. You can make money doing it, but like my disc golf hobby, I don't expect to make anything.

Does anybody have experience with German Shepherds at the course? I have actually looked into Goldendoodles and Labradoodles. I like them, but if I was telling somebody about my dog, I would refer to it as a mutt. Lol. I came back to GSD's because of the nose and there drive.

So first off, sorry about your loss. Its tough, and that's all that needs to be said.

I currently have a German Shepherd, he's great out on the course, but it wasn't always that way. He used to go after my discs, which is great if you're lost in the rough, but not when you have a great shot in the middle of the fairway. It took a major effort to break him of that, but he's been wonderful ever since.

That said, I just learned he has a spinal condition and I'll probably have to put him down within a year. To be honest, I don't think I'm gonna get another Shepherd, and here's why:

1) THE SHEDDING! Dude, it's constant, even if you brush every day, they'll still shed. It's ridiculous.

2) Shepherds evoke very emotional responses in people, and many are not happy emotions. They're intimidating dogs and people can be sketched out by them, which is completely understandable.

3) Separation Anxiety. I know not all shepherds have it, but both of mine have, and it's a MAJOR pain in the butt. Shepherds tend to be really focused and connected with their owners, which is awesome, until you realize they're going to break in the pantry, eat 10 lbs of random snacks, and then bust out of the house and run away just because you left them home for the afternoon.

4) THE SHEDDING! Its dumb.

But, I see you're over in Albany, if you ever come over to Bend and want to meet a discing shepherd, drop me a PM and we'll meet up. Best of luck on your search.

Standard poodle. Smarter than most disc golfers, trainable, not so much on shedding issues, and athletic

I think my next dog will be a Standard. Everybody talks ish on them until they meet one and realize how awesome they are.

Plus, you can give them hilarious hair styles. I met one that had dreadlocks, another that had a mustache.

Someone else mentioned it in here already. Get a shelter dog. I understand that you're OP is in regard to what breed of dog would make a good disc dog.

All of the breads mentioned could be found at your local shelter. And if not you could more than likely find a dog suitable to your needs at the shelter.

Shelters also have puppies and young dogs if you feel the need to raise it from a small puppy. Also you'll save hundreds of dollars adopting rather than buying from a breeder.

Good luck in your search!

Someone else mentioned it in here already. Get a shelter dog. I understand that you're OP is in regard to what breed of dog would make a good disc dog.

All of the breads mentioned could be found at your local shelter. And if not you could more than likely find a dog suitable to your needs at the shelter.

Shelters also have puppies and young dogs if you feel the need to raise it from a small puppy. Also you'll save hundreds of dollars adopting rather than buying from a breeder.

This. I rescued (there was a lot of help) a Boxer mix, and he's been an incredible disc dog. I couldn't imagine a better dog for the purpose. Considering the condition he was in when I got him and how he is today, I don't think I'll ever get another dog that isn't from a shelter/in need of rescue.

Save a dog's life, and they'll enrich yours more than you can imagine.

While I agree that rescuing a dog is a pretty awesome thing to do, it's not all roses and chocolate waterfalls. There's a reason why the dog was given up, it could be the family fell on hard times, or it could be the dog has some major character issues. And being abandoned then getting a new owner can be a pretty confusing, traumatic experience for the dog.

I just think it's important for anyone considering getting a dog that rescue doesn't come without its pitfalls. That doesn't mean every dog that comes from the breeder is perfect, far from it.

My lab/golden mix is my caddy. I found he was much more calm and controllable on the course when I put a dog pack on him with a few discs on each side. It gives him a "job" to do. I always keep him on a leash to be respectful of others on the course. He is around 15 months old, but is very well behaved at the course. He walks at my side to the disc, and stands still while I pull out a disc from his pack.

Attachments

• higgins130407.jpg
    higgins130407.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 19
My lab/golden mix is my caddy. I found he was much more calm and controllable on the course when I put a dog pack on him with a few discs on each side. It gives him a "job" to do. I always keep him on a leash to be respectful of others on the course. He is around 15 months old, but is very well behaved at the course. He walks at my side to the disc, and stands still while I pull out a disc from his pack.

That's cool, how many discs can you fit in his pack? Next dog I get will be trained to be my caddy.

Then I would 100% advise a German Shepherd is an amazing dog.

1) Had a great German Shepherd growing up. The only problem is that he was a little protective. When we'd play in the yard, if a stranger came into the yard (usually utility workers checking meters back then) he would nip them as a warning. You'd get sued these days.

2) I take my 8yr old Choc Lab to the course all the time. She's all lab, no retriever. But she's well behaved and good company.

3) Smart dogs are over rated. A goofy, dumb, loyal dog is great. Some of the biggest problem dogs I've know have been too smart for their own good. But frequently the dog owner is the problem and not the dog.

Obviously the answer is a Siberian Husky.

They love cold weather, overcast skies and the snow. They are most active in the winter time so you can stay in shape all winter walking them, playing with them and going on hikes. Great winter exercise to keep you motivated in the cold months when other activities are less appealing. Great way to pass those cold, winter months with man's best friend.

Then you have the summer time to yourself, get out and play as much Disc Golf as possible. As your Husky discovers the wonders of air conditioning and central air. Feed them a nice meal in the morning, short walk to do his/her business and then it is back to bed for them. You now have hours of free time every day to play, just be home in time to feed them dinner. :hfive:

All kidding aside, a great owner makes for a great dog, sure you will be just fine with whatever decision you make. Sorry for your loss as I know how hard it can hit you.