• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Best Dual Threat (BH&FH) Midrange?

The above sounded so nice that I am now bagging the following:

SS Wizard putter
SS Wizard thrower

Star Mirage
N Proxy
N Envy
Cryztal FLX Zone

ESP Buzzz

VIP Underworld
S FD
C FD
Champ Teeb
Star Firebird
FAF champ Firebird

Gstar Mamba
Star Mamba
Gstar Valk
Champ Valk
Star Wraith

I've seen your signature literally hundreds of times, and it just hit me. You started discing in the late 80s, and I was born in the late 80s! :hfive:

Speaking of Envys as mids, I for a while earnestly considered building my bag like this:

As it turns out, I just really like the faster mids too.

Ha yeah I threw a scorpion or two mostly from 86ish to 95, took 10yrs pretty much off in Alberta (sure wish I'd played there more). Came back to build on my acreage and bought a putter and started playing league. Then I got better.. Haha.

Envy/ comet/ relay is the backbone of my bag, I used to be more mid heavy but as I've improved and gone to less molds the Envy does most of what I used buzzz/tangent/wasp for. Went from faster mids to one fast putter and slow mid.

Then with Relay as my prime fairway it also eliminated a lot of mid needs.

Envy also does what the scorpion used to as well haha. Little turn and a bankable fade.

For a answer more in line with the thread I'd say Wasp.

Imo if you want a disc that's easy to forehand and backhand, most of the time over stable discs are better. With that being said I want a beadless over stable disc. Beadless have a cleaner release forehand. I want it to be over stable for similar flight both back/fore hand. My vote would be a zone. Most people don't consider zone a mid so as a true mid I would go with a buzzz os. It's beadless and over stable enough to handle the torque of a forehead.

It is for this reason that I am curious to see how the trend of the 21.0 centimeter (the smallest possible diameter) midrange goes. Wide discs glide better, but smaller seems to be more wieldy when it comes time to scramble and get creative.

Imo if you want a disc that's easy to forehand and backhand, most of the time over stable discs are better. With that being said I want a beadless over stable disc. Beadless have a cleaner release forehand. I want it to be over stable for similar flight both back/fore hand. My vote would be a zone. Most people don't consider zone a mid so as a true mid I would go with a buzzz os. It's beadless and over stable enough to handle the torque of a forehead.
I can see the appeal of carrying a Zone, A2, or similar disc in different plastics like a Z Zone and a beat D Zone. You can probably cover a ton of shots that way and really minimalize the molds in your bag.

I can see the appeal of carrying a Zone, A2, or similar disc in different plastics like a Z Zone and a beat D Zone. You can probably cover a ton of shots that way and really minimalize the molds in your bag.

I infact carry a z zone and beat soft zone for that exact reason. Also the soft zone hits and sits while the z gets some ground okay when needed. Also the soft zone is my windy day putter. Very versatile disc with all the plastics it comes in.

I have a few old Innova spiders and this may be your answer. They are shallow small diameter and can handle torque with a straight to fade flight up to 300 ft. Mine are from over 10 years ago and I'm not even sure they still make these but if so definitely worth a shot.

After a bit of testing.. The Hex is sneaking into my bag for a dual use mid, largely because I can FH it so well. Nice flat, beadless, very straight and right on the line of something that won't dive out on a FH anny too bad but is still pretty good for BH. Think flatter Buzzz.

MD3 and gator3 are great on both sides for me, but I guess not everybody likes forehanding discs with a bead

Gator/Mortar/Caiman/MD5 are great on forehand and not bad on backhand.

Verdict is good to very good on both sides. I can get them over 300' either way without too much fade on my backhand and very little turn on my forehand. Nothing else I've tried can quite match it in this regard.

I have one Opto Compass and it is more turn resistant than a Buzzz or MD3 on forehands but with about the same minimal fade on backhands. If I had to throw absolutely straight consecutive shots 275' off both sides, this disc would be the straightest of anything I've ever thrown.

I have a few old Innova spiders and this may be your answer. They are shallow small diameter and can handle torque with a straight to fade flight up to 300 ft. Mine are from over 10 years ago and I'm not even sure they still make these but if so definitely worth a shot.

I forgot about Spiders. I bet the Cro was good for this, too. I remember a lot of FH guys digging it back in the day.

I forgot about Spiders. I bet the Cro was good for this, too. I remember a lot of FH guys digging it back in the day.

Cro would be outstanding now that I think of it. I loved that it flew like a slight OS Buzzz on BH but it felt good enough in the hand for all-purpose BH/FH work.

If you have the power, this is one of those sneaky max-distance but utility mids from either side.

Latest posts