• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best NC courses not Charlotte Area

I will admit that hole is ****ty... but I would like to know which holes exactly people are calling tweeners. I'm not saying they aren't there just want to know which ones you are calling out. That's the only bad hole on the course IMO.

I usualy think of #3, 14 ,& 18

There are a few others that I would add but I think they still provide a scoring spread.

I also think hole 5 is poor. Mostly because of the random trees throughout the hole.

Barnet, Glenburnie, Farmlife, West Meadowbrook, East Carolina University are my top 5 for ENC

Glenn Hilton, Richmond Hills, Black Mountain, Waynesville CC are some of my favorites for WNC.

Wow, you must score really poorly at that course Bravethrower. I really had to think to remember all the trees on #5. I've never hit any. :D

Even with Castle Hayne being my home course I will give you holes 14 and 18. Pretty much 3's every time. There are a couple of guys with big sidearms that can routinely take 2's on both 14 and 18 though. You may want to get down there and play it if you want to play the current layout. The county will be bringing in a new road so there is not so much traffic going through the neighborhood entering the park. As of right now the plan is for the road to come in down hole 4 and 5 fairways and connect to the parking lot. So we will lose hole 4 and 5. However the county and the club are working together and I'm sure will come up with 2 even better holes. Of course when dealing with county construction this project may not even start for 2-5 years.

How are the people in the neighborhood going to decide which cars to rob if they divert the main road?

My general description of a tweener is a hole where a 3 is very easy, but a 4 is very bad and a 2 is amazing. Sometimes it comes in the form or very poor par 3's like hole 14 at the Castle. Sometimes it comes in the situation of very easy par 4's like 16 at Zebulon.

Really, I think a tweener is best defined as a hole you pick up a stroke on when someone else messes it up as opposed to you playing it well.

At the castle, hole 3, hole 14 and hole 18 all fit this mold – and honestly, 7 and 10 do a lot, but only on the pro, pro master and top advanced levels.

Chuck has admitted that the course is a real statistical anomaly.

Maybe, but it is pretty and fun to play, so most people don't concern themselves with overly anal statistical evaluations or how the pros play it. Besides, if we counted every round played there throughout a given year, what percentage of those rounds are played by pros or people that care about scoring spread?

Yeah, but he could if he wanted to.

I'm sure my 938 rating would scare the crap out of the open field.

Back in the day I had it, but two injuries, a refocus of my energy in the sport and a complete loss of enjoyment playing the game casually took it back.

I've lost 45 pounds and I'm back at my weight when I was playing well and I think that is additional reason for my decline - and I even feel a lot of my power coming back (that was the biggest thing I lost). I don't think thanks to my neck and never trusting my plant knee anymore I could get back to where I was, but if I put the effort and time in, I think I could get back to a decent pro level.

However, I simply have no desire to put that work in. Way other more interests within and outside the game.

Maybe, but it is pretty and fun to play, so most people don't concern themselves with overly anal statistical evaluations or how the pros play it. Besides, if we counted every round played there throughout a given year, what percentage of those rounds are played by pros or people that care about scoring spread?

Likely none. What I find wierd about the course is while there aren't that many tweeners, the overall scoring of the course feels like a course full of them.

What I love about the course is the risk reward options you have on a lot of the shots.

There are a few others that I would add but I think they still provide a scoring spread.

I also think hole 5 is poor. Mostly because of the random trees throughout the hole.

Ive only played it a few times.

2 rounds with my fractured vertebrae resulted in the following 2 rounds being played on Painkillers during the azelia. So I remember about half the rounds I played there lol.

5 just really stuck out to me as plinko where the rest of the course was fine. the only reason you didnt notice was you cant throw far enough for them to bother you :p

I am noodle armed but accurate. I call it old lady golf. Stay on the fairway, and first do no harm. You should try it someday. The fairway is a good place to be. It is you friend. Be not afraid of it almighty Bravethrower.

I am noodle armed but accurate. I call it old lady golf. Stay on the fairway, and first do no harm. You should try it someday. The fairway is a good place to be. It is you friend. Be not afraid of it almighty Bravethrower.

I use the Nick May theory of disc golf. BOMB EVERYTHING

At the castle, hole 3, hole 14 and hole 18 all fit this mold – and honestly, 7 and 10 do a lot, but only on the pro, pro master and top advanced levels.

3 we're going to have to disagree with, i'd say the back pin location is possibly a bit to long but the front is very deucable and also very fourable. last time i was there matt and i were parked at the front pin and had 40ft putts at the long pin that was in.

7 is a tweener but depending on where you disc lands you can have a tough upshot. 10 i also agree with, if they pushed the right pin location 50 ft right that would make that hole a lot better. but both are still really fun holes.

18 is kinda weird in distance but it's deucable, the problem is that you'd have to really screw up one of your shots to four it.

3 we're going to have to disagree with, i'd say the back pin location is possibly a bit to long but the front is very deucable and also very fourable. last time i was there matt and i were parked at the front pin and had 40ft putts at the long pin that was in.

I only play the course during the tournament - and we always play the back pin on 3.

The front pin would be better b/c it would produce a lot more 2's and not many less 4's.

I only play the course during the tournament - and we always play the back pin on 3.

The front pin would be better b/c it would produce a lot more 2's and not many less 4's.

Same here. Ive never even seen the alternate pins in.

Castle Hayne is my home course as well and while Grodney is entitled to his opinions about it, it appears his is in the VAST minority. I love the course but that is not to say that it is not without it's short comings as well...ALL courses are. I am also positive that we could nit pick hole distances and tweeners on almost every course out there.

Hole 18 is a great hole and the score seperation there proves it. it does not take just a sidearm to birdie it and it is the shape/design that allows that. I will give you hole 14. it is jsut a boring, boring hole. The risk for 2 far outways the reward. I could not disagree with him more about hole 1. Beautifully framed 290 feet and straight as a string is the best shot in golf. there is nothing boring or ugly about that hole. The Castle is rated at a 4.2somthing. it is not a 4.5 becasue there is no elevation or water to be had out there. there is not a lot we can do about that. we did the best with what we had and i beleive the rating is spot on!

Latest posts