• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best portable speaker for music during a casual round?

I don't use it on the course, but I bought the $30 Nakamichi Speaker after looking at the Pills and JBL products last Christmas. Thoroughly impressed with it. Sound is much better than turning the volume up on my HTC M8...

It would fit nicely into the drink holder on my bag though...

Only have ever really played with one or two guys that insist on playing their crappy music in tournaments. Not super loud, but still loud enough that you can hear it on the tee pad...

Ultimate Ears UE Roll

I am resurrecting this thread because of a great speaker that I have been using for the past week. A couple of guys I play with have them and I was impressed so I picked one up for myself.

Here is the manufacturer's link, with video.

http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/roll

Here's the Amazon link to the various colors, etc. They run $99

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ue+roll

I am not a big fan of tiny speakers, and generally feel bluetooth + tiny speaker + mp3 setups blow, but this thing actually works and sounds amazing for a single speaker at this price point. It's also water and dirt proof (as in you could take it into water and can wash it in the sink, apparently), holds a 9+ hour charge on its internal batteries (charged through USB on a standard mini cable), and is more than loud enough without having the boxy / overly boomy tone typically associated with the Beats products and so many that are trying to copy that sound profile. It's still a single speaker, but as somebody that listens to music constantly, I cannot hate on the sound from this thing.

You can run any of your sound apps on your phone to drive the speaker, and UE has a free app that you can use to remotely control all of the speaker functions remotely, including turning it on and off, which could be handy. I haven't used it yet, but my friends that use the same speaker seem to like the app.

The attachment system for your bag is a bit tenuous if you are going to have it bouncing around on your pack, but I just ran a zip tie through the provided elastic cords on the back and it hasn't come loose since.

Here is the speaker on my bag. The + / - on the front are handy volume controls.

vIwMUot.jpg

At any rate, I have nothing to do with the company that makes these or anything, but this is a great bluetooth speaker for background tunes on the course. I have been really impressed with it.

What about battery life? While not too long ago, the standard battery life for a Bluetooth speaker was around five hours.
But it should be more not less than 10 hours.

I don't get it what you are saying about 10 hours.

THe stated battery life is 9 hours. I haven't run it in a single session for anywhere near that, and have gone a few days of use during rounds without charging - around 6-8 hours total...

Saw an add for this portable BlueTooth speaker come up in my Twitter feed and it got my wondering what other golfers use to play some tunes when they are playing a fun casual round.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LLJ51FI...5303180421m0&ref_=ptw_NUL_1_5_1415303180421m0

What do you use? My iphone speaker on its own isn't loud enough so I'm looking for something cheap and compact.

Here's what I've learned. Much as you want them to, nobody likes your music.
Buy a good pair of closed ear headphones, rock out to whatever you want, and allow everybody else to do the same.

Here's what I've learned. Much as you want them to, nobody likes your music.
Buy a good pair of closed ear headphones, rock out to whatever you want, and allow everybody else to do the same.

:hfive: Thank you for that! :thmbup: