• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best portable speaker for music during a casual round?

My two cents: a casual round is just that CASUAL if someone playing music while they play is so infuriating to you, that you feel the need to go on some self righteous rant about what terrible human beings they are, I actually feel sorry for you. It must be hard to go through life always irratated and irate by minor, meaningless things.
When I'm playing, music is usually blasted by groups way more than individuals, but it doesn't bother me none. Even if it is crap like ABBA (joke) step up your mental game. If some music across the field throws you off what's a crowd, a camera, a lawnmower, or sprinklers going to do?
I listen to music when I play, but usually about half volume because A) I still want to be able to hear the chains, and B) the battery lasts longer.

Now I will concede, if someone is blasting their speaker during a tournament, league, hell anything other than casual play, that's just rude. But how much tournament footage have you seen on YouTube where they are blasting music the whole round? Hell diferent pros get to choose their tee off song. McBeth seems to prefer rap.

I agree that the UE booms are amazing but pretty pricey. Check out the Monoprice NFC brick speaker. Only $35 and last all day on a charge.

Notice how I actually stuck to the OPs question.

My two cents: a casual round is just that CASUAL if someone playing music while they play is so infuriating to you, that you feel the need to go on some self righteous rant about what terrible human beings they are, I actually feel sorry for you. It must be hard to go through life always irratated and irate by minor, meaningless things.
When I'm playing, music is usually blasted by groups way more than individuals, but it doesn't bother me none. Even if it is crap like ABBA (joke) step up your mental game. If some music across the field throws you off what's a crowd, a camera, a lawnmower, or sprinklers going to do?
I listen to music when I play, but usually about half volume because A) I still want to be able to hear the chains, and B) the battery lasts longer.

Now I will concede, if someone is blasting their speaker during a tournament, league, hell anything other than casual play, that's just rude. But how much tournament footage have you seen on YouTube where they are blasting music the whole round? Hell diferent pros get to choose their tee off song. McBeth seems to prefer rap.

Things I took away from this post...

It's horrendous for someone to go off on a self-righteous rant at someone else for listening to music during a round, but it isn't horrendous to go off on a self-righteous rant at the person who originally went off on the listener.

Squirrilah likes Abba.

If someone were blasting Abba on the course I would support and encourage their behavior because it would be fun for me. And disc golf is about fun.

I have two different bluetooth speakers.

I got this one first as a gift. The problem with this one is it only lasts for about one round before the battery runs out. Too small to trust it staying in a drink holder, so it gets stored in an inner pocket of my bag. Has ok sound, but pretty quiet(pro's and con's to this).

So, I got this one to try out because it's advertised battery life was around 6 hours. So far...it works as advertised. It also has really good sound. The upside is it fits just right in one of my drink holders on my bag.

hey original poster, sorry that a bunch a numbskulls made your thread into a soapbox. if you want to listen to music you go for it man. of all the noises out there people always fuss at the guy with a speaker. and to all the numbskulls, if you let a little music get in your head what do you do when a car drives by, or big group hits an ace. original poster, hit up amazon and read reviews on speakers.
numbskulls, copy and paste this reply then use google translate so you can hear it.

If some music across the field throws you off what's a crowd, a camera, a lawnmower, or sprinklers going to do?
If its "across the field", its a non issue, as there are a lot of other sounds between here and there that are going to drown that music into the stew that is the aural environment. Much like a passing car, or a lawnmower, or the shooting range across the highway, the group playing their music will go away in the same manner that it arrived.

Its a different situation when "music man" is someone in your group and you have to hear some country douchebag singing about the girl, the dog and the pickup truck he all lost all while singing the praises of some alcoholic beverage for 18 holes.

There's a lot of butt hurt on here about people playing music. Reminds me of a post I saw on here or dgr where a guy was upset because a guy in his group was wearing a neon shirt. If the music is that bothersome grow a dick and say something to that person.

Img_1276.jpg

This ;-)

*Hides*

I use HMDX Jam Extreme. It's got a tougher outside covering and is splashproof.
I don't understand all the hate for speakers on the course. Not everyone plays it at a super loud level. You can't even hear my music unless you're within about a 30' radius of me and I always mute it if we meet another group on a teepad so I don't see how my music bothers other people.

Whenever my buddy plays his speakers...he does this "Hey guys, mind if I throw my speaker on so we can jam to some tunes while we play?" "So what kind of music does everyone want to hear...we can throw on Pandora so everyone is happy!" The music is kept low so only the group can hear on our hole. When we approach a group of people the music get's lowered as to not be rude. Half the time, I'm asking for people to throw on some music....I'd rather hear music than listen to what some of these idiots want to discuss.

I'm really not sure why the anti-music Nazi's are jumping to the conclusion that everyone who uses a speaker does so rudely. Take a look at my earlier response and you'll see I go out of my way to avoid being "that guy" on the course, even if I don't worry about ruffling feathers here. Look at all the people me and my speaker were bothering yesterday...
232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A5%3A6%3Dot%3E23%3B%3C%3D829%3D84%3C%3DXROQDF%3E279%3B552%3B59244ot1lsi

It's amazing how little respect for other people is being exhibited here.

Playing your music, out loud, when other people would rather not have it is akin to me standing next to the tee box doing a vibrant African dance while you tee off. I bet all you internet tough guys would love that.
Go for it. I ignored people yelling and screaming and running into me while trying to stop pucks. I'm sure I can ignore your limp wristed little dance number.

Why is it that you think your desires are more important than mine? I agree with you that the guy blaring country music, or hardcore rap, or whatever from his car speakers at top volume is kind of a douche. But a bluetooth speaker simply doesn't have the volume you're describing. It can be heard a hole or two away, but it would be hard to describe it as "blaring" under any circumstances.

So, at 7am, when it's just me on the course. It's rude for me to play music you can't hear 20' away. Interesting. Without context, you don't have an argument that music is rude, like any other rudeness it can only exist within a specific contextual environment.

It's amazing indeed, how little respect is being shown here. Pretty much on all sides.

I think it's pretty much implied that said music is around other people, and distracting. Your reply is just stupid on so many levels.

I think it's pretty much implied that said music is around other people, and distracting. Your reply is just stupid on so many levels.

You'd think that until you read some posts like.....

Seriously, you are a giant d bag if you play music on anything else beside headphones/earbuds.

And he doesn't seem to be the only one with that opinion.

Ohhhh really? The stupid is so high on this thread. Then again, I'm just the product of over-crowded northern Wisconsin public schools.

Implied was lost, about 7 pages back dude. But hey, thanks for calling me stupid.. I always dig on that.

Ohhhh really? The stupid is so high on this thread. Then again, I'm just the product of over-crowded northern Wisconsin public schools.

Implied was lost, about 7 pages back dude. But hey, thanks for calling me stupid.. I always dig on that.

well your stupid if have 7 pages. change your setting michael. i only see 3 pages

I wondered if my thread would go the direction it has gone. I almost put a disclaimer about my intent but figured I was being too paranoid. Apparently not.

One of the weekly "minis" I play is a small group of guys at a course in Houston and they are all chill dudes and there's one guy that usually has his phone on playing his reggae Pandora station and we all enjoy it. He asks if people mind if there is music on our card.

Second example, I often go casual golfing with my wife and dog and we both like to have music on. Such rounds are as much for us to enjoy time together outside as to play golf. Most of the time at the courses we are playing, we are the only people. No one is bothered by our music - especially because my iphone isn't loud enough to hear more than 15 feet away (hence me looking for a new speaker).

There are legitimately people that don't understand limits - ie, don't play music without asking the people around you; don't play music during more competitive rounds where there is good money on the line; and definitely don't play music during a PDGA event. However, to assume that ALL the people discussing playing music on the course and what speakers to use are the people that annoy you on the course is just silly.

There are limits of courtesy people should extend on the course. There are also lots of situations where there is nothing wrong with playing music. It depends on the park/course you are in, the people you are playing with, and whether there are in fact actually any other people on the course.