• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Putters in the Game

akfrolfer

Bogey Member
I was wondering who are a few of the best putters in the world are and what seperates them from the rest of the field. I've been working on my short-arm putting and its coming along well I just have to work on my consistency (one day I'm on fire the next I'm not). Who does this style of putting particularly well?

I would also like to know what people do to practice putts and whats the best routine. Like what kind of routines do you do, do you just do 100 putts from 15,20,25,30 ft or what?

Thanks

so far i've heard aviars and wizards. the grippy kc aviar seems to be real popular, but i prefer the star. aviars are the oldschool and wizard the new. to me they seem so similar its rediculous.

I ment people that are good at putting not a good putter (obviously the answer to that is a wizard). Sorry if that was unclear in the OP.

AK...,

Good question. I'd like to see the video of the great putters in action as well... Anyone?

I think he means the best putting players.

The truth is, at the highest level, they are all incredible putters. Also, they all have different styles that work for them.

As for short arm putting, I believe Blake recommends looking at S. Sinclair's putt. He has pictures in his putting article on the main page.

As for routines, it can also vary. Pozzy's putting game is a good one, as it builds pressure into the putts. Canning putts all day in practice don't mean squat when you choke on the course on tourney day (this I know!).

The hardest part for me is making putting practice fun. It can get repetitive and boring to just throw 20 foot putts the same way all day, so I mix up distance, stance, styles, and locations to try to keep myself interested.

Becoming a great putter is THE first and most important step to becoming a great golfer.

8)

the best way to keep yourself intrested in putting practice is to make a game of it. if you have a buddy, play disc horse shoes.

People say Jay Reading is the best. But you cant forgot Climo and his consistency.

A lot of it is just reps and practicing every day if you can.
Make sure you warm up, too. It may seem like it shouldn't matter but as your muscles get warmed up they accually get stronger. If I don't warm up it usually takes half the round before I get my rhythm down.
Making sure you practice focusing when you are putting is important, too. I heard Barry say that if you aren't practicing like you actually putt during a round then you're just putting for exercise.

Rooster said:
the best way to keep yourself intrested in putting practice is to make a game of it. if you have a buddy, play disc horse shoes.

i just seen a couple people playing H.O.R.S.E. with putting last week. I never thought of doing that with discgolf.

Rooster said:

The wife and I play horse with putters and our practice basket.

Some kids on our local course play 21 where meta hits are 1 and stayins are 2 points.

If you dont have a basket hang up a rope or mark a section of a pole. A successfull putt would have to hit in the marked area of the rope or pole. Believe it or not the pole and rope tragets are harder than a basket. I actually aim for the pole in the center of the basket during play most of the time.

I forget which post but Blake told me here that successful putting is a matter of execution of routine. think of it more as a I made that series of motions or I didnt, rather than I made or didnt make that putt.

Blake help me out here man. My internal RAM is limited these days.

Pagan

reprinted from here: http://www.nefa.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=495

Pozzy's Putting Game

First, a little on the background and concepts about the game. There are a bunch of objectives it accomplishes:

1. Repetitive Motion. Some people have criticized the game because it repeats the same putts over and over, and they prefer to play a game like HORSE, where you move all around, more like a real situation. Both have value for sure, but IMHO, to become a great putter, you first need to train your muscle memory, which involves serious repetition of the exact same motion.

2. Fun. Practice for the most part sucks and is boring. Most of us would rather play rounds. This game is very much a "game" which has a scoring system, so it's not just practice. You set a score, then keep trying to beat it.

3. Competition. In order to simulate the pressure of real tournament putting, this game has an element of competition. First, as you keep score, it becomes you against your best score, much like golfing is you against the course. But because the rules are uniform, you can compete against other people in different locations. For example, Jason, Mike D, and I used to have a competition where we'd say that whoever gets the highest putting game score when we meet at the next tourney wins and gets some cash or whatever. So for the few weeks before the tourney, I'm competing against Jason and Mike whenever I practice, and that definitely ups the pressure on my putts.

4. Don't over-shoot the pin. One of the worst things you can do while putting is to blow by the basket and miss your comeback putt. This game punishes you HARD for doing that.

5. Consistency. There are huge rewards for hitting all your putts, encouraging consistency.

So here are the rules to Pozzy's Putting Game. I haven't played in years, so if I screw anything up hopefully someone will correct me:

First, you need 10 putters, preferrably identical to your every day putter. Having less means you have to keep picking them up, which gets boring. Throwing 10 in a row keeps it fun and lets you work on the muscle memory.

Mark out 5 spots in a straight line from the pole hole, at 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 feet. If 10 footers are a complete joke, then move it to 15, as we did after a couple months of playing. That in itself was proof of how well the game worked, as when we started it was hard to get all 10 in from 10 feet, and after a while it was impossible to miss one.

So once you have your game set up, bring the 10 putters to the 10 foot line. I'd suggest putting a chair or table beside you, so you can quickly grab them without bending down to the ground every time.

You shoot all 10 from 10 feet. Since there is no excuse for missing a 10 footer EVER, the only way you score is by getting all 10 in. If you get all 10, then you get 10 points. But if you miss, you LOSE 10 points for every one you miss. Harsh, because there is no excuse for ever missing a 10 footer.

This next part involves what to do when you miss. The same rules apply to putts missed from all distances:

Take all of your misses to whichever miss was farthest from the pin. If you missed more than 1, you're gonna pay by shooting the longest possible putts. When you shoot these back, you have to get them all in. If you get them all in, you don't get any more points. Why would you get rewarded for saving a putt you should have made in the first place? But if you MISS your comeback putts? You get screwed, and screwed hard, because missing a comeback putt is about as bad as it gets. So for every one you miss, you lose DOUBLE what that putt was originally worth. And if you then miss any of those putts, you lose DOUBLE what it just was.

In other words, don't miss those recovery putts, ever!

So all your discs are in. Now take all 10 to the 20' mark. These are all worth 1 point each. If you miss any of these (or any from longer distances) you don't LOSE any points, because you're no longer in the absolute gimme range. However, we still want to reward consistency, so if you hit all 10 of them, you get double points. So you get 9 points for 9, or 20 points for 10. As with the others, take all the misses to the farthest point and shoot them back. If you miss any, you lose 2 points for each miss. You then take those all to the farthest miss, and lose 4 points if you miss any. If you miss a 3rd time, just give up disc golf.

Now shoot 10 from 30 feet. These are woth 2 points each, so you could get 40 if you hit all 10. All the other rules are the same.

Then 10 from 40', worth 5 points each.

10 from 50', all worth 10 points.

I think the highest score I ever got was mid 80's, lowest was like -60 or something. I'd be curious what the all-time record is by now.

One round of this game takes about 15 minutes or so if I recall correctly. If you factor in missing maybe 10 or so per round, you throw about 60 or more putts per round. Play 4 rounds in one hour and you just threw 250 or more putts.

Oh, I forgot the most important rule. You can't quit in the middle of a round. If you do, you have to stop for the day. This is because once you get good, you may get like 60 points or something. Then in the next round, you miss one of your 10 footers, and then miss the comeback, and you're -20 and you know there's no chance in hell you'll beat 60. So the urge is to quit and start over. NO DICE. Finish the round and practice ALL your putts, or go home and watch tv because you're a quitting loser.

I really can't tell you how much this can help your putting game if you play it a bunch, especially for newer players who still don't have a solid, repetitive putting style down. It forces you to have one, and trains the muscles to do it over and over.

Of the players I watched at the previous Worlds, I would say that Walt Haney and John McCray are the best putters. Haney had a bigger sample size as he was on the lead card most of the time (despite not having the distance of the other guys).

gotta go with Yetti.

I wish I could get myself to apply the same amount of flick on my putt in a round as I do in practice. :p

I know a guy that is the most amazing putter, hes the lightning rubber putter.

(so if I honestly belive the rubber putter is a person do I get banned for mentioning him?)

Latest posts