• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Best Tweeners

Dan Ensor

Sophomore
Those discs that don't quite fit in the "putter, mid, fw, dd" categories ... what are your favorites?

Flick and Squall are in my bag currently. The Squall works as a mid or fairway, and doesn't sacrifice much to either. The Flick, on the other hand, doesn't really work as a fairway or distance driver. But I have so many uses for it as neither that it still finds a spot in my bag.

Do your tweeners fill both slots, or neither?

I love my Classic Rocs, they are great "Driving putters".

Been messing around with the speed 6 Kaxe lately, both beaded and beadless (Z). Discs with a little more shallow rim seem to work for me better, but the beadless Z version glides nicely. Kaxe is more overstable, Kaxe Z is overall a bit straighter with moderate fade.

Last edited:
My current favorites are the Suspect for the putter/mid slot and the Gazelle for the mid/fairway slot.

Gator ('tween putters and Rocs)
Q Sentinel ('tween Rocs and fairways)

I currently bag a Liquid Metal vaccine from Salient (previously used the DD Suspect in Bio Fuzion or Lucid for this slot) as a tweener betwixt putters and mids. It's pretty OS, but it sidearms well and I generally don't need a carrying anhyzer at the tweener distance.

The Hu, which I also bag, is an interesting tweener: its faster than your average fairway but gets mad understable when thrown with the same power as my PDs, even on hyzer. I do use it as a fairway, I just back off it a little, but if I need a power roller or a long shot that HAS to flip, Hu is it.

My current favorites are the Suspect for the putter/mid slot and the Gazelle for the mid/fairway slot.

I particularly like the mid/fw tweeners. Discs like the Trident, that have a driver-like appearance (and feel, I'd guess) but act like mids, can be great for people that aren't particularly comfortable with one or the other.

I bought a GM Gremlin, but it's not what i thought it would be. Not gotten a lot of throws with it though, and may give it another go. Interested in the Kaxe and Z.

-Firebirds are concidered a distance drivers, but are shorter than a lot of other disc listed as fairways

-Roadrunners are another distance driver that seem to get suggested for a lot of fairway type situations, they can actually bomb For some serious distance if used wisely.

I carry a Dx Wedge as a stunt disc where I need to run the chains inside 100' on an anny line where there is a tree between me and the basket and a hyzer shot to the right of the tree just won't work. Sure, I could do this shot with a putter but the Wedge just works so well and is so easy to put on a floating anny line that it just has a way of going in. I would be naked without this tweener disc in my bag. Is it a putter? No. Is it a mid? Nope. Does it get me out of jams all the time? You bet.

Champ Gator is probably my only true "tweener" disc. Couldn't play without it! Shorter than my Roc3s and Mako3, but just so darn predictable.

While I use Envy/Proxy on a lot of holes where others throw drivers and mids, I don't think they're more than "short range drivers". The Suspect is a true hybrid between mid/putter and a joy to use on those days when I don't want to lose my Envy. A bit faster/longer and heavier fade.

The Warship is another that is longer than most mids. It was a bit too finnicky/glidey to be trustworthy as even an understable fairway. Definitely one of many speed 6 mids that are somehow tweeners, while the Leopard has always been a driver.