• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Understable Midrange?

There's a lot of good ones out there, it boils down to a feel thing I think. As far as versatility goes, my Z Comets are hitting lines my Skeeters, Qms, and Stingrays couldn't. Whoever suggest putters was spot on, too. My buddy turns over his CE Qmegas with great precision. I don't have the faith in my Magics for this though.

I'd say comet or meteor. I know comet is stable, but that doesn't mean it has to be thrown straight. Easily anhyzered or flipped with a quick wrist flip.

Stingray if I had to choose but I prefer something just stable and to do the anny myself..

Ooo can we have a "Are understable mid ranges pointless" thread?

You didn't say how understable you wanted.

For straight to slightly understable and able to hold the anny line, I'd pick a Panther or Comet (the Panther is more floaty).

sorry for the double post, but I thought this point needed to be made:

speed =/= glide

the panther is faster than the comet, but the comet has it beat in the glide department by miles.

Stingray if I had to choose but I prefer something just stable and to do the anny myself..

Ooo can we have a "Are understable mid ranges pointless" thread?

What about a 300' shot that has to go straight down a tunnel for 250' and then gently move to the right and forward for the last 50'? You can't force a stable disc onto that line, you need something that flips late.

You know I would start that pointless thread...if there was a reasonable argument for it.

What about a 300' shot that has to go straight down a tunnel for 250' and then gently move to the right and forward for the last 50'? You can't force a stable disc onto that line, you need something that flips late.

You know I would start that pointless thread...if there was a reasonable argument for it.

Leopard for that shot. I think an understable mid would flip too early; but that just might be me.

Leopard for that shot. I think an understable mid would flip too early; but that just might be me.

If you have an understable mid, it is slow, so it flips slowly. You can control when it flips by throwing it with different amounts of hyzer. The flippier the better, because you can always put more hyzer on your release for a later flip. The disc spends the first 250' flipping up while flying straight and then slowly banks to the right and holds to the ground.

If you have an understable mid, it is slow, so it flips slowly. You can control when it flips by throwing it with different amounts of hyzer. The flippier the better, because you can always put more hyzer on your release for a later flip. The disc spends the first 250' flipping up while flying straight and then slowly banks to the right and holds to the ground.

Yeah but you are also talking about the disc comming back a little right? If thats the case, I dont think something that is going to be understable enough to flip late is going to have enough fade to come back at the end, Thats where I see a Leopard but even that, if you dont have the height isnt going to come back, and if you dont want it to come back, that is where a forehand throw comes into play

Yeah but you are also talking about the disc comming back a little right? If thats the case, I dont think something that is going to be understable enough to flip late is going to have enough fade to come back at the end, Thats where I see a Leopard but even that, if you dont have the height isnt going to come back, and if you dont want it to come back, that is where a forehand throw comes into play

Nope, not coming back, but finishing forward. Forehands finish too hard to play the type of shot I'm describing where you need to go more forward than right.

I think that is beyond my scope of ability. I've only seen a disc turning over either stop and fade back, or; just slow down and dive when it loses speed. I can do a hyzer flip shot where they start at hyzer angle and flip up and ride flat to the end but generally the straight path is more in the middle of the flight.

Beat DX Roc, hyzer flip? I actually did it a couple times, not sure that I am consistent with it, though. I have a couple holes that I'm trying to play this way, where I need a late turn, but no room on the left for an anny line.

Beat DX Roc, hyzer flip? I actually did it a couple times, not sure that I am consistent with it, though. I have a couple holes that I'm trying to play this way, where I need a late turn, but no room on the left for an anny line.

Roc is a good choice, but any slower mid that's understable will work.

Roc is a good choice, but any slower mid that's understable will work.

The key to this shot, of course, is not getting any fade back. The gentle turn that stays. I've done a similar (longer) shot with a Gazelle, on long tight fairways. It was great, but i may have had a bit of OAT on the release. Maybe that's the key...hyzer flip with a touch of wrist roll up...not sure how consistent I'd be with that though.