• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beware the man that has a lid in the bag...

Yeah, pretty sure SuperHeros and SuperSonics are legal. I have both and they are fun, fun, fun.

I bag a Polecat but I still need to try a Rattler and might give a regular DX Sonic a try one day b/c I love that fastback shape. If they made a Champ Sonic ~150-165g that would be sweet.

I've thrown Putt'R (kind of a bastard child of a lid and putter) Te Moko, Birdie, and probably other lids, I can't remember but they're great. OP is right, anyone with a lid in the bag definitely knows something about course management. A lid is like that one tool on a Swiss Army knife you never think you'd use but when you need it, oh man is it useful. They really help liven up that NAGS zone.

So if I were deciding between a Rattler and a Sonic, more people would choose __________.

I think the Rattler is supposed to be more (over)stable than a Polecat. That's part of the reason I'd like to try one out b/c the trick to incorporating a lid into your game is finding that right balancing act b/w weight and stability. To behave like a proper lid, it needs to weigh <160-165g* (especially in premium plastic), but it's really hard to gear down/power down to a lid ~<145g after predominately throwing golf discs @170g+; they're just so finesse. So close to golf disc weight while still lid-like (super glide, point-and-shoot, manipulable) is the goal IME.

One thing that I really like about the Polecat is it is completely flat top, really comfy for flicks. I'd love to hear some old-timers' thoughts on my thought process above.

Edit: I think most people online would say Rattler b/c it has a strong cult following but you'd probably find more Polecats in people's bags b/c it's Innova and they're everywhere.

*small diameters

Last edited:
I think the Rattler is supposed to be more (over)stable than a Polecat. That's part of the reason I'd like to try one out b/c the trick to incorporating a lid into your game is finding that right balancing act b/w weight and stability. To behave like a proper lid, it needs to weigh <160-165g* (especially in premium plastic), but it's really hard to gear down/power down to a lid ~<145g after predominately throwing golf discs @170g+; they're just so finesse. So close to golf disc weight while still lid-like (super glide, point-and-shoot, manipulable) is the goal IME.

One thing that I really like about the Polecat is it is completely flat top, really comfy for flicks. I'd love to hear some old-timers' thoughts on my thought process above.

*small diameters

I'm not an old timer, but your theory makes sense. I think both the Rattler and Sonic are available in the 165 range, if I recall correctly. Actually, DGC has Polecats and Sonics at 167. Can't find anywhere that has Rattlers in stock.

I like the Condor.

It might not be a lid technically. A lot of people call it a plate though.

The SuperHero is legal. There's a thread somewhere on here where I specifically asked and Chuck K. said it was the Hero Disc 235 mold that is listed on the approved discs list in the section that has Innova's discs listed. Similarly, I would assume that the SuperSonic would be approved as it is the Sonic mold, just in Star plastic.

SuperSonic is not legal at this time, because they never submitted it from what I understand. But my dad rocks a SuperHero, legal or not, and that thing has some crazy glide!

I think the Rattler is supposed to be more (over)stable than a Polecat.

I used a super puppy in mid 80s to early 90s. After a hiatus from disc golf from 91 to 96 and loss of my golf discs, I was unable to get another puppy and bought a polecat.

The polecat was ok, flying alot like the puppy, but I never liked the flatter transition from edge to top. Then I 'discovered' the rattler and never looked back.

The rattler has the feel of the puppy but more stable flight. It also seems to stick in the chains better than the polecat, maybe the round top helps that?

Rattler is definitely more stable than the polecat, I'd rate it as almost perfectly neutral. It also wears very well and I haven't noticed any significant change over the years unlike the polecat that seemed to get more understable.

The SuperHero is legal. There's a thread somewhere on here where I specifically asked and Chuck K. said it was the Hero Disc 235 mold that is listed on the approved discs list in the section that has Innova's discs listed. Similarly, I would assume that the SuperSonic would be approved as it is the Sonic mold, just in Star plastic.

Bingo..... The sonic is a PDGA approved mold.... The super is just the type of plastic and the K-9 candy plastic is pretty sweet champy stuff

A lid is an old school catch disc...plain and simple. Maybe if you were to include all vintage class discs. When I go to the beach or the park (one without a course) I bring the lid to play catch. Superhero, Rattler and a Sonic are not lids in the true sense of the word...or how old school players refer to lids.

Example #2:

picture.php

Beware the wind, man who carries a lid in his bag. Also, didn't notice anybody mention the Gopher. I have an unthrown 134g Gopher in my collection. Also an unthrown Phenix. I've never thrown a Phenix, I can see how it would be difficult to be consistent with one. That thing is HUGE!

Beware the wind, man who carries a lid in his bag. Also, didn't notice anybody mention the Gopher. I have an unthrown 134g Gopher in my collection. Also an unthrown Phenix. I've never thrown a Phenix, I can see how it would be difficult to be consistent with one. That thing is HUGE!

I have an old Phenix in my collection too. I think it may be the most overstable disc that I have ever seen. It starts going left before it leaves your hand!

This is an example of a "lid". I used them for golfing back in the day, but haven't had one in my bag in quite awhile!

When people played with lids, no one even had a bag... the advent of a true arsenal of discs made bags of some sort pretty much a requirement.

i always keep one in the bag.. well maybe not a true old school lid but ...i was using the Rattler but i have moved on to the Sonic.. but both are deadly from 120ft in .. and plus they are just crazy fun to throw.. and are great for some catch before or after a round :)

ultrastar here, it is a great approach disc actually.. the larger diameter makes putting with it difficult, but shaping shots with it is great.

I have been known to carry a Sonic, a Birdie, A Polecat and a Rattler all at the same time. The Rattler feels markedly different from the rest. It feels more like a baby UltraStar because of the tall shoulder. The Rattler is also more stable to overstable of all of those discs. the Birdie is close to the Rattler but it glides like a brick (still glidey though). I use the Polecat the most because it is more like the Comet of modern lids. the Sonic is mainly for turnovers.

I would like to see Innova produce these discs in Star plastic. I play a lot of wooded courses and like others have said these discs are easy to throw from awkward stances. and I throw these discs just as hard as regular golf discs. although I do love the sunken feel of a Polecat that has had some good tree love.

I have also toyed with a Zephyr and I used to carry a SuperHero for warmup. I think the SuperHero is suitable for regular play even at ~135g.

oh and please don't post too much about the Super Class endeavor. you'll give Chuck K a priapism.

Latest posts