• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beware the man that has a lid in the bag...

When people played with lids, no one even had a bag... the advent of a true arsenal of discs made bags of some sort pretty much a requirement.

I never said I had a bag back then. I just said that I haven't had a lid style disc in my bag in awhile. WTF?:confused:

A lot of people are mentioning (and I'm including myself here) discs that aren't really lids. I certainly wouldn't consider a Polecat or a Birdie a lid. Rattler is borderline. The Sonic is a fastback-type, but still small-diameter. Even a Condor and Zephyr (which my dad plays with) aren't really lids, just large-diameter golf discs. DOes anyone maybe have a list of what are truly considered lids? I kinda know what ISN'T a lid...but not so much what IS.

Like, I assume a SuperHero is...but what about real-old school large diamter discs like the Lynx, Phenix or even the original Eagle? Ultra Star is obviously a lid...I dunno. The more I type this, the more I confuse myself.

I play Ultimate since 1996. I play golf since 2009.

I know the ultrastar like no other disc on the planet, but it just sucks for golfing, sorry. I'll take on anyone who is using a Ultrastar, anyday.

I play Ultimate since 1996. I play golf since 2009.

I know the ultrastar like no other disc on the planet, but it just sucks for golfing, sorry. I'll take on anyone who is using a Ultrastar, anyday.

the OP is about someone who is simply carrying a lid, not using only a lid.

everyone should learn to throw and carry a lid ... they're a valuable weapon to have in your bag.

I have been playing catch with a Super Hero this week with my daughter. Handles wind better than I thought it would. In honor of this thread I ordered a couple Rattlers and a Zephyr.

the SuperNova was the only disc I used for at least my first 5 years playing... ya, I migrated from ultimate...

A lid is an old school catch disc...plain and simple. Maybe if you were to include all vintage class discs. When I go to the beach or the park (one without a course) I bring the lid to play catch. Superhero, Rattler and a Sonic are not lids in the true sense of the word...or how old school players refer to lids.

A lot of people are mentioning (and I'm including myself here) discs that aren't really lids. I certainly wouldn't consider a Polecat or a Birdie a lid. Rattler is borderline. The Sonic is a fastback-type, but still small-diameter. Even a Condor and Zephyr (which my dad plays with) aren't really lids, just large-diameter golf discs. DOes anyone maybe have a list of what are truly considered lids? I kinda know what ISN'T a lid...but not so much what IS.

Like, I assume a SuperHero is...but what about real-old school large diamter discs like the Lynx, Phenix or even the original Eagle? Ultra Star is obviously a lid...I dunno. The more I type this, the more I confuse myself.

This is interesting that you guys are making this kind of distinction because I just assumed that anything that looked like a lid (be it coffee, trashcan, sewer, etc.) rather than a beveled or sharp edged golf disc was a lid. :confused:

If you restrict the lid label to only wide diameter, frisbee type discs then we'd need a new term for discs like Rattlers and Polecats and would hardly discuss using actual lids for DG b/c they're awful for almost anything but playing catch. :popcorn:

This is interesting that you guys are making this kind of distinction because I just assumed that anything that looked like a lid (be it coffee, trashcan, sewer, etc.) rather than a beveled or sharp edged golf disc was a lid. :confused:

If you restrict the lid label to only wide diameter, frisbee type discs then we'd need a new term for discs like Rattlers and Polecats and would hardly discuss using actual lids for DG b/c they're awful for almost anything but playing catch. :popcorn:

Not so much restricting as clarification. The term Lid when referencing flying discs games refers to large catch discs. In the game DDC, the 'Official' disc is a 110 gram Wham-O catch disc. If we had courts set up and were playing with 175g catch discs, someone who saw us might comment...'wow, I can't believe you're playing DDC with lids!'

Bah, a lid is just a made up term anyways, the correct terms would be things like "freestyle disc" or "fastback" or "Frisbee" or "ultimate disc". So those people being name nazis should not even use the term "lid" altogether.

Like I said earlier, all I played with in my younger days was a big Wham-O...it wasn't until last year that my dad started playing with PDGA Discs...and then only Phenix, Lynx, Condor, Zephyr and SuperHero (sometimes an Eagle when he's in the right mood) so I can attest that playing with wide-diameter discs does work, it's just a totally different approach to the game...totally old school.

I am not intimidated by the wham-o pimps, in fact I defy them to throw one over 220 feet. Miniature golf, maybe.

You really think throwing a nice catch disc over 220' is difficult? My 16 year-old and I both can stand at home plate of our local ball field and throw Ultra Stars and Sky Stylers to the fence that's 280' away...clearing it about half the time. The other half we're hitting the fence. The fence is about 8' tall.

If anyone is still confused, Coffee can lids look like polecats and birdies.
coffee-can.jpg

I've never thrown a lid, but a guy I play with on a reasonably regular basis is deadly accurate with a Polecat. Saw him throw a Condor a few times too with good results. Every time I play with him I get pissed at myself for carrying so many different discs.

Latest posts