• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Blowfly putter

Spooky1

I was wondering what people think of them? I use a SSS wizard but have been looking at a blowfly for the fact that is seems to just stop when it hits the ground and not want to roll. Just wondering what people think about this disc and to see if its worth it to buy one.

Feel one before you buy it. Personally, I could never use one. Way too floppy for me. They are definitely unlike any other normal putter (even the SSSS)

Strangely enough, I've actually had some bad roll aways with my Blowfly lately.

I don't really think of it as a putter though. It's a hunk of rubber that you throw at a basket perched on the side of a hill when you're too far away to make your putt. If you can make it, putt with your normal putter. If you can't, toss the Blowfly for a lay up.

I've been putting with the same one since I started playing in 2000, so it doesn't feel weird to me! ;) I agree that it seems to roll less, plus it hits softer in the chains. The main times I don't use it exclusively for putting are in some really windy conditions, or for some really short approaches (or really long putts) where people might still usually throw a putter. I carry a JK Aviar all the time, and sometimes a DX Aviar P&A, for those shots. The Blowfly is harder to control with any kind of force put into it. Yes, it is very different, so I wouldn't recommend switching between it and another putter frequently. If you're unhappy with your current putter, and try a Blowfly, you'd have to commit to it for a while to really test it.

I've also had one in my bag for along time - I use it all the time, it does take some getting used to as far as throwing it goes and its feel, but I really like it. Most people I've played with just give it a funny look and dismiss it after feeling it though.

On a number of occasions I've hit the belt or the top of the cage and it just bends right over and flips in and I don't think I've ever had one blow through the chains.

Wind does pose a problem with it at times, I just use something else - I keep an anode and ion in the bag too.

Strangely enough, I've actually had some bad roll aways with my Blowfly lately.

I don't really think of it as a putter though. It's a hunk of rubber that you throw at a basket perched on the side of a hill when you're too far away to make your putt. If you can make it, putt with your normal putter. If you can't, toss the Blowfly for a lay up.

I agree with everything he said, except I would edit the last part to:

If you can make it, putt with your normal putter. If you can't, go for it anyway with a blowfly.

A friend gave me a blowfly to try out some years ago, but I didn't care for it. It was like trying to putt with a pancake.

I played a round with this random guy once who used the Blowfly as his putter and I have never seen so many 100 ft. putts made in my life. Me personally, I don't dig it, just like I don't like the soft Vibrams either.

I'd rather have an occasional roll away than have to putt with that floppy noodle. Not a fan of those at all.

I love them, They are the only putter I carry. Been using them almost three years now and have no desire to go to another putter.

i love my sss wizard but one of the courses i play has drop offs around the baskets so i was looking at a blowfly to use as a lay up and stay put disc.

They are good for when people are on the fairway and insist that they are fine and say you can throw your drive by them. Totally screws with my head ruining my toss.

Mine landed only 30 or 40 feet behind my driver when I was doing driving range (that was the Gumbputt though, pretty much the same thing).

I'd rather have an occasional roll away than have to putt with that floppy noodle. Not a fan of those at all.

Yeah they are too floppy for me as well. There are two at the local club and you can ball both up like baseballs and get some throw distance out of them.

I have a buddy, he is 50 and one of the best spin putters I have played with. He makes the Blowfly look so good I have tried them on numerous occasions, only to hate the feel every time.

I've tried to put spin on one and it was like tossing a pizza dough.

I have noticed that it's a older generation disc, mostly used by guys in their 40's on up. Nothing wrong with that but that's just my observation.

Watch out for bounce back

I agree with a lot of the posts regarding the Blowfly. It is a specialized putter, best used for elevated targets, where a roll out would spell disaster, but that is about it. I would not use it for other putts, because, due to its floppiness, it is not as accurate and tends to flex when hitting the chains, sometimes resulting in bounce back throwing the disc out of the basket.