• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Branching out to different companys, why bother?

Mueltrain54

Bogey Member
I have basically only thrown innova discs since the first time I played disc golf. I have thrown a few discraft molds (buzz, nuke avenger) but i have always gone back to just innova. I guess it is just a familiarity thing, i know the plastics, flight numbers, etc, and have never really felt like I was lacking a disc in any specific area in terms of speed and stability.

With all the newer companies getting a lot more attention I just thought id post and ask, what am i missing out on?

I dunno. I suppose people like you and me just don't have the desire to throw anything and everything on the market. I have tried different companies, but now that I have settled on a couple molds, I just don't really want anything else.

You're missing out on spending a ton of money on the latest and greatest.

If you haven't thrown Lat64 or the discs they manufacture for Westside or Dynamic Discs then you are missing out on some sweet grippy and super long glide plastic. Other than that I don't know. If you don't feel you need anything but Innova keep throwing it. If you want to find out for yourself what others have to offer you should sample some.

Until about 9 months ago, I was an total innova guy. But I was having issues replacing my lost are broke in disc as they just didn't seem to do the same. Well I didn't pull the trigger on switching until I played some night rounds. I heard MVP had some of the best glow disc. So I played a few rounds and they made it in the day bag. I figured well trying out one company, maybe get another. And got three basic discraft ti buzzz,wasp, and stalker. 2 of those three made it in. So then played in a few tourneys and got some dd and westside and lat 64 disc. And 6 of 8 made them in the bag replacing disc. My scores seem better then before. I feel like these disc have been better compliments for my game. Part of it maybe the fact that my game got better because I stopped all the high speed disc.

The greatest disc golfer of all time has only ever thrown Innova (in his pro career) so why switch?

I to was an Innova guy until last year, just because they were what I was used to and so easy to find. I'm not ashamed to say I tired new companies because their discs looked better. Now I have a very mixed bag. I wouldn't say you're missing out on anything per se, but its always fun to try new things. If you can get other companies in your area for a decent price, its always cool to just try something else. Luckily disc golf is a pretty cheap sport.

Because of the double-mold MVP discs have unique flight patterns, and a different feel when you throw them. And another vote for the Swedish plastic. I love Innova's CFR and old DX, but other than those two, I may like some molds, but not the plastic.

I throw a mixed bag. My bag evolves all the time. Right now, most of my drivers are Innova, but I mainly throw a trio of Stalkers (cryztal, esp, z) and a XXX. I have a flx Drone, QSentinel, QMS for mids and VP, Ridge and eze Pure for putters.

I really like Lat64, Vibram and Millennium discs. To each their own.

I am mostly a Innova guy as well, except for my Buzzz, just cant live without that disc. At some point I may branch out and try other brands, but for now, want to focus on learning to shape my lines with some DX Innova.

You are really not missing out on much performance wise. There is no point in branching out if it bothers you. It is quite the opposite for me, I find it stimulating to branch out and try any and every disc. If I wasn't so cheap and didn't have so many hobbies I would have a disc collection...probably a big one.

Your not missing out on anything. Everything being made is just a knock off of something Innova has already made. Some may say that's not true but in reality it is.

I like trying other discs so I appreciate the flight of each individual mold. After you get a feel for each mold, You can decide what you like, what you can work with, and what you don't like. I have said this before, but there are very few discs out there that don't have a similar ish disc. Just throw what is comfortable and you have confidence in. I think it is always fun to throw new stuff.

Last edited:
simple, because if there is a slot I am not 100 percent satisfied with a slot in my bag, I will most likely try out something from a different manufacturer. MVP has completely taken over my fairway slots. The Swords have become one of my main distance drivers and Discraft still consist of utility discs.

I can't afford to buy everything - I've bought a sampling of Innova, Discraft, MVP, Latitude & Westside, Vibram, and Discmania. I feel no need to expand any further than that, given that those companies have more more discs than I can get to know well in a lifetime.

Given the sentiment of the OP, I understand that completely. Given my skill level, Innova could easily supply my needs forever.

There is no Zone, by any other company, yet. There is no other Banger. There's no Drone. There's no other Condor. Or Trident. Or Wolf. Or RFF plastic. Or X-link Soft. Or overmolds. Or Epic. Or Gumputt. Or....

There is still a reason to try new plastic.

I have 3 discs in my bag that aren't innova, and that's the most I've ever had. I agree with the OP, I'm just familiar with Innova, and I don't see a shot where I can't find a disc Innova makes that would be perfect for it. They have overstable/stable/understable drivers, mids, and putters. And if you don't like one of them, they probably have another mold that does close to the same thing that you might like more. (Like Orc/Wraith/Destroyer/Boss or pig/rhyno/KC Aviar)

The OP keeps it really simple mold wise. I carry a lot of molds, but I play feeling like I got every shot covered for most situations. I'm sure the OP does as well, otherwise he'd carry more. For me it's exciting trying new discs and discovering which ones work for you and which don't. I think all the companies do one thing or another very well. That's sort of the benefit of a mixed bag to me. It's very true you can find the same disc made by 5 different companies (i.e. Roc, Wasp, Ghost, Vector, Mace). The market it getting so saturated, it's starting to get a little absurd.

I've tried tons of stuff from a lot of companies but my bag has settled on all innova except a buzzz and some wizards. After trying a lot I just prefer certain molds like dart, rhyno, panther, gator, roc3s, teebirds, Valkyrie, firebird, and I'm starting to throw destroyers and liking them a lot.

Until a month ago, my bag was 100% Innova.

Then I read about the Saint. Looked like it might be a longer, grippier alternative for my Champ Viking. So (being the cheapskate I am), I went out on a limb and bought a Factory Second Recycled Saint from GGGT.

I fell in love. So I got another. You know, just in case. I may have bought a third.

I also love my R-Pro Roc+, but wanted something longer and straighter in the bag. I read about the Prodigy Proto M3, so decided to try one out.

It's almost knocked my Roc out of my bag. Great, wonderful versitile disc. I also snagged another one of these.

Lastly, I wasn't satisfied with my Aviar putter, so I did a little research and got my hands on a buttery Gateway RFF Wizard. Total game changer with my putting game. My confidence has gone through the roof.

You could certainly go through the rest of your life with an Innova bag. I almost did. But branching out and taking some chances with some well researched discs has helped me shave a lot of strokes off of my already mediocre game.

My $.02.

I seriously started playing DG in the past year. The first few months turned out to be me buying tons of plastic and trying soo many different things out. I seriously don't think my bag saw the same discs for months. When winter started I decided to really try and weed out the discs I don't want and really just try to establish a set bag. I started by taking out anything speed 10 and up (helped out tremendously), except for my Halos which I throw FH only. Then from there picked my "bag".

I started with my putters. I had a polecat, an aviar, and a r-pro ryhno. I loved how the polecat was nice and straight but didn't like the rim. Liked the rim of the aviar and the rhyno. Really liked the feel of the r-pro rhyno and I used the rhyno for more of a high hyzer putt or headwind putt. Just didn't like the aviar. I took all of this into play and now I carry two different putter molds. SSS Magic (primary) and R-Pro Rhyno (specialty putt shots).

Then I moved on to my midranges. This was my first taste of Lat plastic. I tried everything, buzzz, roc, shark, wolf, shockwave, core. I fell in love with Lat64 GL plastic. From the Core filling my stable slot I ended up going to the Pain for my overstable and then tried the Fuse for my understable slot. The Fuse didn't fly as understable as I had hoped so I went to the extreme and got myself a Flying Squirrel. Fell in love with that and now I throw it more than any other disc in my entire bag. My midranges finally look like this: GL Core, GL Pain, Gold Flying squirrel.

Drivers next, and last! Like I said before the first thing I did was eliminate my high speed drivers speed 10 and up. I was only left with my TL. Because the Lat64 has done great things in my midrange slots I got myself a River, Saint, and XXX. Thinking understable, stable, and overstable. The river and saint worked great! The river wasn't as understable as I wanted either I could never get it turn over so I picked myself up an Underworld and the XXX wasn't as overstable as I had hoped either so I picked up a Whippet. My drivers are now: GL River, Opto Saint, Pro Whippet, and TP Underworld.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is the whole game of trying to set your disc golf bag is a long and tedious process of elimination. I used the inbounds online flight guide as well to help me compare discs and their flight paths in order to try and save money. I found their flight guides help me see better than numbers. Good luck in your disc search and use The Marketplace to trade discs to save you some cash to. Just what ever you do don't try and fix something thats not broken, if Innova is working for you throw Innova.