• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

Kind of on topic, I ordered one of the Brodie stock runs of the Zone.

Not that I'm a fan boy (or a hater either) but I've been trying to find a Zflx Zone in a decent, bright color.

Kind of on topic, I ordered one of the Brodie stock runs of the Zone.

Not that I'm a fan boy (or a hater either) but I've been trying to find a Zflx Zone in a decent, bright color.
Mine just came today and the plastic feels amazing. Can't wait to throw it. Brodie kicking Paul out of my bag sums up 2020 pretty well.

Same.

b1f0570e833bf7880bbc23d9f8b39481.jpg

IDK man, fellow Denverite(?) here and every 18holer I've played in town here lately is almost always crowded and slow now. Just makes it even more frustrating when you drive across town to one of those many courses to find it is also mobbed - dont get me started on those damn Tag matches.

Played Westfork this weekend to find multiple families with young kids blissfully unaware of quicker playing groups. Played Fehringer last week when a group of 6 beginners jumped in midway through the course in front of me; they explained they sure as heck werent gonna wait for the group of 9 at hole 1. Heck even the 9-hole community college has been packed the last few times I tried and its literally unplayable when there more than a couple groups.
Oddly enough the only respite is at Beaver Ranch - the best course around.

I agree all of the courses have generally been more crowded with people playing. Lately I just make sure I'm not in a hurry and exercise patience with people and I can still enjoy myself.

The other trick I like to use is to go early before everyone else gets there. I've teed off at six in the morning and didn't see another soul until I was walking back to the truck.

Actually played Beaver Ranch last Saturday. Got there about nine and there were maybe seven vehicles in the parking lot and we played without catching up to anybody and only had to let a couple of solo guys play through. By the time we left the parking lot was pretty much at capacity.

Mine just came today and the plastic feels amazing. Can't wait to throw it.

I threw one of the sparkle Zflx Zones all summer. I think it's one of the Ledgestone discs? Mine is black and I've had trouble spotting it even on short throws. Ordered an orange one so I'll set the black one aside when it arrives.

I've had some problems with new players and people that just won't give you space. We have a 9 hole course where one can logically start at 5 different holes and people will walk up to the hole you are playing and start firing shots at you.

...but my biggest problem is with the influx of non-disc golfing park goers. It was beautiful last Friday afternoon. I go to the same course. I play holes 1 and 2 long. I moved to 3 short because people are playing with their kid in front of the long tee pad. I want to throw multiple shots, but they wander in front of me as my 2nd throw is in the air. I play 4. I play 5. Hole 6 is overrun with geese, so I skip it. Someone is sunbathing on the teepad for hole 7 and a family is picnicking next to the basket. Play 8. Hole 9 has a family feeding geese in the fairway. Circle back to 1 and someone is reading in the fairway shared by holes 1 and 2. And so forth.

So I went to the soccer field down the road. It is at least 1500 by 500 feet. People are on one end, so I walk about 750 feet down and start throwing towards the parking lot. I land about 5 midranges in about a 50 square foot area and this lady lets her kid wander right to where I'm landing discs. So I turn around and start throwing the other direction. Same lady and her kid start walking down the field in the direction I'm throwing, so I have to stop again. Hundreds of acres of public multi-use land and only 3 people on site and they can't give me 250 feet.

Just throw into the geese. They'll move.

Just throw into the geese. They'll move.

I'm not looking to upset their routine.

...and even if I were, people that kill them get jail time/fines. An 18 year old that hit one at this park (not playing disc golf) got a 6 month sentence for Destruction of Wildlife.

I'm not looking to upset their routine.

...and even if I were, people that kill them get jail time/fines. An 18 year old that hit one at this park (not playing disc golf) got a 6 month sentence for Destruction of Wildlife.

You do know he really wasn't talking about actual geese, right?

Although, I imagine the jail time thing would still apply if you killed someone picnicking in the fairway.

With all due respect, why not just ask people to move? Every time I've done this, they really had no clue they were in the middle of a disc golf course. I've never had someone say "yah..I know where I'm at, I'm not moving". I wish more courses would put up warning signs alerting people about flying plastic.

With all due respect, why not just ask people to move? Every time I've done this, they really had no clue they were in the middle of a disc golf course. I've never had someone say "yah..I know where I'm at, I'm not moving". I wish more courses would put up warning signs alerting people about flying plastic.

This exactly! Multi use parks really ought to do a better job warning park goers of all the "multi uses" going on.

Perfect example.....there was this big fad game called pokemon go. Perhaps you heard of it. One of my local course plays thru a huge city park area. Well it turns out that this game used the baskets/teepads as checkpoints or something (really unfamiliar with the game play haha) for the game. A lot of highschool kids playing this game legit thought that the baskets were there for that reason alone. They had no idea.

I do think that sometimes too, as disc golfers, especially in multi use areas, we have to remember that they actually have just as much of a right to be there as we do. We cant get all upset about people on our courses. Its inconvenient but....what makes our hobby trump theirs? It is a public area.

I bet if it were legal everywhere we'd see an explosion of new disc golf courses.

Personally, I don't partake but it is pretty rare that you don't see or smell it out on any given course.

we have a joke in our group anytime the scent comes our way we say "it smells like disc golf out here"

If somebody is standing in front of a tee box or something and texting, I'll tell them I'm trying to throw.

...but if a mom and dad and 3 kids have a massive 5 course meal picnic spread 20 feet from the basket, I'm not going to ask them to move.

...and if I have to walk 400 feet to ask someone to move and now I'm a few feet from the next hole, it makes more sense to just move on to the next hole. Especially if I'm fighting the clock against daylight. At the end of the day, if I have to play 4 and 7 twice to get 9 holes in, then so be it.

...but if a mom and dad and 3 kids have a massive 5 course meal picnic spread 20 feet from the basket, I'm not going to ask them to move.

That's the tough one for sure. I would also just bypass the hole, but for their safety I would tell them what's going on because it's only a matter of time (if they kept eating on the course) that some a$$hat is going to throw on them and potentially hurt someone. As we all know, it's probably easier to get a course removed then put in. !#$%^

btw.. we have 2 beginner courses next to a college, so I'm kind of used to talking to people about moving off the course. lol..

Last edited:
Yeah. I try to tell people when I can and I usually show them a driver to let them see that it isn't a normal frisbee. I've even told a few people that some people that play the course release them at 60+ mph and throw them 450+ feet.

That's the tough one for sure. I would also just bypass the hole, but for their safety I would tell them what's going on because it's only a matter of time (if they kept eating on the course) that some a$$hat is going to throw on them and potentially hurt someone. As we all know, it's probably easier to get a course removed then put in. !#$%^

btw.. we have 2 beginner courses next to a college, so I'm kind of used to talking to people about moving off the course. lol..

Yup. Last season we had a large group of family/friends (8-10 folks) that had a popup gazebo set up in the fairway. Coolers, they had dragged a couple picnic tables over, blankets, cornhole, music, grills.....

They have every right to use the park, albeit a bad plan. We were not going to ask them to move, we simply teed off next to the gazebo, telling them all about the game. The friendly encounter gave us the chance to warn them that someone was certainly going to throw into them and endanger the children. Playing any hole, is far less important, than any person using the park as they wish.

I was finishing a round at a course in Goldsboro, NC and in the middle of the 18th fairway, right in the landing zone, was a wedding photo shoot session in full tux and gown. The lights, the umbrella shades, chairs, photographer on a ladder, etc. I imagined shanking a Destroyer right into the mix but I fought the urge and walked around.

We came across a group on #14 at Boone Woods once that had a garbage bag spread out in a basket filled with ice and beer.

One year there was a guy asleep in his car on the 5th tee at Mt Airy before our local club tourney.

Seen all manner of kids hanging/climbing on baskets like they were a jungle gym.

Latest posts