• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

I'm digging my Bro-D RB Roach in the limited time I've played in the last month. But I was asking for a Roach in this type plastic since before he signed his first DG contract.

Also like my freaky Zone. Flies like a Zone and sticks pretty well, what's not to like?

https://factorystore.discraft.com/

They have a section just for Brodie, but nothing for Paul or Paige? :confused:

But then... no Brodie on this page: :confused:
https://www.team.discraft.com/team-discraft

For Discraft he's mainly a marketing genius/instrument, probably. It doesn't much matter if he's employed for marketing or sponsored as a player. The result matters. It does work out ... and Discraft is wise to let him do it his own way! (This is what positively impresses me much about Discraft!)

Besides that, he's a (not too bad) player, but to Discraft this side doesn't matter really currently. If he'd really compete on the Pro Tour that'll change.

In any way, Brodie is a strange outlier, and thus makes his own rules.

Nice to see Nate Perkins in the top ten and apparently playing well.

Was it a RHFH favouring course? Does it require relatively few big backhand drives?
I wonder if Nate's inability to break the bigger tournaments is a sign that distance is valued too highly in those courses? I think his putting is excellent and his consistency of lines is top notch, he just doesn't have a booming backhand.

I noticed in the recent GK skins match at Veterans park that his backhand distance looks to be improved and has a little more pop on it

I noticed that too, even compared to just 6 skins videos ago. Although, when you're on a card with Heimburg, Aderhold, GG I guess anyone else would look like they can't throw very far.

On topic: I wonder if we'll see Brodie back on tour at the start of the 2021 DGPT? (answered my own question, he's signed up for DGPT Las Vegas) It should be pretty interesting to see how his second stab at the PT goes. Jumping face first into tournaments at MPO/DGPT level and then getting Lyme etc. wasn't a great first run. Having some extra tournament knowledge and having some smaller events to mix it up with a handful of touring players over the winter months seem like they should all add up to a much better performance this time around.

Might be a tad controversial comment... but I just don't see Perkins ever making the jump to elite status. He's rated 1009 now, down 12 points the past year. Out of 20 tournaments this year, he's only placed 5th or better in 4, and has had zero wins the past 3 seasons.

I doubt that's controversial, I don't see a reason why he can't return to his previous rating and perhaps a half dozen points more though. From that level he could be contending the odd Major and perhaps take down an NT or two over a few years.

While I don't care for Brodie as a person (I tried talking to him after a tournament and he brushed me off....other pros chatted with me and Brodie wasn't busy or talking to anyone else at the time), I do respect his ability. I also respect his decision to pull out of the pro tour until he gets more experience - at least he tried. Some people seem to think Brodie 'owes' more since he is sponsored by Discraft and tutored by Paul McBeth...but that's not his fault, Discraft wants to profit off his fame/following and Paul chose to teach him.

I wanted to learn how to throw a scoober since there have been a couple of times it would have come in handy. I watched a few videos on it, but it wasn't until I saw Brodie's video that I really understood it....he did an excellent job of describing how to throw it and when/why to throw it.

I wish him the best in the lower tiers and look forward to him getting back to the pro tour.

Be interesting to see how Brodie does tomorrow. He's playing a c/b tier where he is the overwhelming ratings leader. 20pts higher than the next highest rated player.

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/46403

Does he indeed win or does the pressure of "he should win" get to him?...

I hope he knows what he's in for, he'll be playing against a field of local club members who can bomb and tear that course up.

Be interesting to see how Brodie does tomorrow. He's playing a c/b tier where he is the overwhelming ratings leader. 20pts higher than the next highest rated player.

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/46403

Does he indeed win or does the pressure of "he should win" get to him?...

Having a pro or pros rating 'overwhelm' the rest probably happens frequently....there was a B tier in May 2019 (Watson Skip). The top two Pros were:
Nathan Queen 1011
Jeremy Novak 997
the next pro's rating was 60 less than Jeremy's.

Nathan "walked" away with the win.

I hope he knows what he's in for, he'll be playing against a field of local club members who can bomb and tear that course up.

I wonder if it is a course that Smith is familiar with... there is something to be said for the talented locals that know every nook and cranny of a course.

I wonder if it is a course that Smith is familiar with... there is something to be said for the talented locals that know every nook and cranny of a course.

I think his tactics for local events has been to show up a few days early, make a video, learn the course and then play the tournament on the weekend. This course is about 2 hours or so from where he lives so I doubt he's played it that much if at all. It's a gorgeous ball golf type course but only has 1 tournament a year typically.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4843