• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

Or maybe it's part of the entertainment value he wants us to perceive. He's fairly self deprecating when it comes to his playing, that's one way to thin out the haters by critiquing himself negatively so they don't have to.

That's a good point, but I wonder how much he'd have to negatively critique himself in order to silence the haters, and how self-critiques would affect his viewership. Seems like it'd take a lot of self-critique to silence most of the haters, and that'd be annoying for his other fans to hear.

You can't please everyone. I was a hater initially and changed due to his work either. Be yourself.

Or maybe it's part of the entertainment value he wants us to perceive. He's fairly self deprecating when it comes to his playing, that's one way to thin out the haters by critiquing himself negatively so they don't have to.

Say wha?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he is a harsh critic of his own game, but I'm also sure that is true of Paul McBeth.

But self-deprecating, in terms of its connotation? Not so much. Brodie is as arrogant as the sky is blue (hey, now we can argue about whether the sky is actually blue ;) )

He's going to be on the rd1 live card at DGLO this weekend.

Where did you see this? I can't seem to find out when that card will tee off. Does DGN's coverage start with that card? Is it 1:30pm?

Gotta say their app and site leave a lot to be desired if the night before I can't even find any info about when the airing is going to be.

But then again, maybe I'm just blind and not seeing it. :doh:

Where did you see this? I can't seem to find out when that card will tee off. Does DGN's coverage start with that card? Is it 1:30pm?

Gotta say their app and site leave a lot to be desired if the night before I can't even find any info about when the airing is going to be.

But then again, maybe I'm just blind and not seeing it. :doh:

It was on their FB page the other day. The teetimes were released earlier. 2pm Friday start...https://www.udisclive.com/

Just a heads up, if you're a pdga member and you cancelled your subscription you can't pay per event @ half off. The discount was only good one time.

Say wha?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he is a harsh critic of his own game, but I'm also sure that is true of Paul McBeth.

But self-deprecating, in terms of its connotation? Not so much. Brodie is as arrogant as the sky is blue (hey, now we can argue about whether the sky is actually blue ;) )
Humorously critical of oneself .... That does fit SOME of Brodie's videos. Is he consistently self deprecating? Maybe not. But he is regularly self-deprecating.

Humorously critical of oneself .... That does fit SOME of Brodie's videos. Is he consistently self deprecating? Maybe not. But he is regularly self-deprecating.

Only when he thinks the other player is much better than him, or he is alone.

Put him in a video with someone who isn't as good as he is, and he starts trash talking real fast.

Only when he thinks the other player is much better than him, or he is alone.

Put him in a video with someone who isn't as good as he is, and he starts trash talking real fast.

He gives himself grief all the time in the vids with his wife. Also, its not only a brody thing to trash talk. A lot of the pros do it to each other. I think brody has also pulled Paul out of his shell a bit. Which I think is awesome. Paul being a bit more entertaining and still able to go beastmode, is nothing but great for all of us.

993 -2 today. Had a pretty good round going till the last 4 holes. Made a 60ft scoober on 13 for a bird, lol.

in his post round interview he said he thought that was as poorly as he could've played (I'm paraphrasing here). I was kinda surprised to hear him say that as I think he definitely played very well in some aspects, such as scrambling. I also think he got kinda lucky to go into the woods so often and always have a clear line out to be able to scramble and save par, but some credit to his ability to throw the scramble shots is certainly due.

I'll be curious to see if he's right and he shoots way better today

in his post round interview he said he thought that was as poorly as he could've played (I'm paraphrasing here). I was kinda surprised to hear him say that as I think he definitely played very well in some aspects, such as scrambling. I also think he got kinda lucky to go into the woods so often and always have a clear line out to be able to scramble and save par, but some credit to his ability to throw the scramble shots is certainly due.

I'll be curious to see if he's right and he shoots way better today
It is very hard, even with the OB I heard about on 17, to be happy with your round when you finish the Toboggan's closing stretch over par. The last 6 holes are a spot you want to attack. The first 12 holes you grind and try to get some birdies, avoid the danger, the last 6 you hit hard for birdies. There's pretty much no excuse for someone playing decent to come away with a 5 on hole 15 without a nasty rollaway (which would be a reason to be annoyed). You want to pick up a 2 on one or two of 14/16/18, and hole 17 is hard to 5 as well though with the OB I heard about I'm sure its harder to find a safe landing zone if you want to go for the green in 2.

I don't think he'd agree after the tournament that his first 12 holes were in that "as poorly as he could have" category. But that finish is gonna leave a bitter taste in the mouth, and right after the round the whole thing is gonna feel pretty annoying.

It is very hard, even with the OB I heard about on 17, to be happy with your round when you finish the Toboggan's closing stretch over par. The last 6 holes are a spot you want to attack. The first 12 holes you grind and try to get some birdies, avoid the danger, the last 6 you hit hard for birdies. There's pretty much no excuse for someone playing decent to come away with a 5 on hole 15 without a nasty rollaway (which would be a reason to be annoyed). You want to pick up a 2 on one or two of 14/16/18, and hole 17 is hard to 5 as well though with the OB I heard about I'm sure its harder to find a safe landing zone if you want to go for the green in 2.

I don't think he'd agree after the tournament that his first 12 holes were in that "as poorly as he could have" category. But that finish is gonna leave a bitter taste in the mouth, and right after the round the whole thing is gonna feel pretty annoying.

It was a rollaway on 15. Front rimmed an uphill putt and airballed the 35" par putt he had after the roll. On 17 he tried to play safe off the tee but his disc flipped to flat and sailed into a bush along the right side. He then tried to bite off a bit too much with a FH and was short left and walled off from the green. He tried to throw another FH from there and overcooked it a bit which made it roll down the hill behind the basket. Damn near canned a FH from where it stopped though, 50-60fter just a bit low off the front rim.

Haven't looked at udisc yet to get an idea of what he was doing, was busy all day. But did see that he shot even today

Last edited:
Ultimately I'm rooting for brodie to succeed but only if he humbles himself a bit... but projecting ultimate supreme confidence seems to be part of his game plan so maybe I'm asking for too much

Ultimately I'm rooting for brodie to succeed but only if he humbles himself a bit... but projecting ultimate supreme confidence seems to be part of his game plan so maybe I'm asking for too much

He definitely had some shrugged shoulders in that vid.

At least he is making it clear he's not out of place in MPO. It remains to be seen if he'll be competitive at the top level, but it's still a distinct possibility.

I'm curious how seriously he's taking this too. I can't imagine he's planning an MPO career and suspect his YouTube business is the reason for this.

At the same time, I suspect he'll be a low level MPO player without all that much work if he desires, and certainly could hit 1000 rated with some time commitment.

That was 6-7 months ago toward the beginning of this thread. It's pretty impressive (to me at least) that he does seem to have taken disc golf pretty seriously and that he's making some decent progress even in a relatively short period of time, with a season tainted by COVID concerns.

That was 6-7 months ago toward the beginning of this thread. It's pretty impressive (to me at least) that he does seem to have taken disc golf pretty seriously and that he's making some decent progress even in a relatively short period of time, with a season tainted by COVID concerns.

I don't even think I knew who he was until this thread, but I think a big tell on his future is his work ethic. Paul McBeth mentioned he hasn't seen anyone work as hard, and if Brodie is treating this as a pro athlete would and training all the time he should do quite well given how far he has already come. Maybe or maybe not top 10 in the world, but seems capable of getting to the top 25% of MPO.

Latest posts