• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

Where do you live?

EDIT: I find Brodie unbearable - hopefully he learns some etiquette as he is playing PDGA events...

He lives somewhere around Dayton, Ohio I believe. I remember talking to him once on here and we had just been on the same course at the same time.

It's a pretty good hotbed for DG. Dayton and Cincy both have thriving scenes and Columbus isn't far away and they also have pretty good DG.

There's a new small 9-holer near me just put in a month ago. It's fabulous for my 10-year-old. We've gotta have these kinds of courses too so the next generation of serious player can get started.

Small 9 hole courses help the sport for sure. We have one here and often the 10-15yo crowd outnumbers us. They cannot drive but still have a place to play

BUT he might bring his camera crew and you'd get half a million views of you playing in that group

The 3-4 guys already playing with me are all the views I need of me doinking my 1-2 10 foot putts a round. :|

There's a new small 9-holer near me just put in a month ago. It's fabulous for my 10-year-old. We've gotta have these kinds of courses too so the next generation of serious player can get started.

I've never understood why every 18 hole course put in, there isn't also a short pitch and putt 3-9 hole course put in as well. Would be a perfect course to warm up on and serve the rec/noob crowd perfectly.

I know absolutely nothing about it but it would not surprise me if Brodie knows disc golf a bit better than Brodie was letting on. He did videos with Avery years ago.

Yep, I've seen him throw discs for quite some time, but if you look at his recent form he has not progressed...that much if at all in about 7 years imop. I kept thinking why isn't he throwing 400+ by now just out of pure length of time throwing, but it appears his actual hands on throwing "discs" has been limited over the years. I'm not sure I agree with him throwing 400+ in a couple of months, but he's a good athlete, if he puts in the time...perhaps sooner than later. But the big question is, is this a short term "gimmick" for his channel(s) or perhaps something more long term he has a passion for. I think he would have an easier time being a disc golf pro compared to a ball golf pro. Maybe he's realized the same. Better to be a big fish in small water compared to a small fish in big water. lol..

Does he have "Leverage" enough to court a sponsor and would they be responsive?
Any chance media companies immediately ask him to be on Feature' cards for first rounds?
Will he join DGCR and Bro' it up?
If he finishes an event with a strong field (NT or DGPT) in the top ten, will DGCR implode?
Finish this card - B Smith, J Anthon, B Williams _________?

I've never understood why every 18 hole course put in, there isn't also a short pitch and putt 3-9 hole course put in as well. Would be a perfect course to warm up on and serve the rec/noob crowd perfectly.

Even my of local courses one of them that is not beginner friendly has a single practice hole that got put in with a basket non colored unlike the others that are Royal blue Mach III. The other course in town is more beginner friendly yet still enough to it that better players not the top Amateur level on up are going to have a few challenging holes.

A local park has an easy 9 hole course plus an 18 hole course(~950/blue layout) and it is great. It really helps to reduce the number of large groups on the 18 hole course.

Another benefit of having the beginner 9 hole and intermediate level 18 is that when they installed a third course at the park down the road they were about to make it a longer and harder course because they didn't need to make it beginner friendly.

Does he have "Leverage" enough to court a sponsor and would they be responsive?
Any chance media companies immediately ask him to be on Feature' cards for first rounds?
Will he join DGCR and Bro' it up?
If he finishes an event with a strong field (NT or DGPT) in the top ten, will DGCR implode?
Finish this card - B Smith, J Anthon, B Williams _________?
He's more of celebrity than a lot of the celebrities that are sponsored, so yeah.
yep.
nope.
yep.
Nikko

I can't imagine he's planning an MPO career and suspect his YouTube business is the reason for this.

ding ding ding

I know absolutely nothing about it but it would not surprise me if Brodie knows disc golf a bit better than Brodie was letting on. He did videos with Avery years ago.

I was there for the Avery/Simon/Brodie video shoot. Dude literally told Avery to "grab your disc golfs" when referencing the discs themselves. That 80' jump putt over the water took him 3 hours. Simon hit the 300' water ace in 20 minutes. He showed absolutely no interest in anything other than promoting himself.

Wake me up when he's really about dg and the culture, right now people who post sponsorship announcements on facebook for street team "sponsorships" are more legit in my eyes. This dude just wants to exploit us for his ad revenue checks.

Wake me up when he's really about dg and the culture, right now people who post sponsorship announcements on facebook for street team "sponsorships" are more legit in my eyes.This dude just wants to exploit us for his ad revenue checks.

Not trying to derail this thread, but I'm just glad we have people like Jamie, SpinTV, etc, that really care about "us" for the unfair exploitation in the disc golf community by setting a precedent of not taking any ad revenue for their social media video views (and surely if you did you would share that revenue with all the players) and a big shout out for not collecting "metrics" from the users that watch those videos, which again saves "us" from being exploited in return for personalized ads, info about our social media trends, etc. :clap:

"legit", "culture", "exploit", "ad revenue", seriously? I'm pretty sure "saltydiscs.com" is still available. smdh....

Could he (Brodie Smith) walk into any disc manufacturer with his 2 million viewers and get signed on the spot regardless of skill level?

Sure! I doubt he could command big bucks, but some form of plastic sponsorship for sure. I always thought his ultimate videos would be a good place for the PDGA to advertise in an attempt to grow the sport.

His overall views, subscribers in his main channel has been trending downward (his ultimate videos peaked a few years ago) he's tried a group trick shot thing that didn't pan out, his newer ball golf channel is a work in progress. For those that don't know, he's been throwing discs for a while now. I think this video is one of his earliest documented disc golf throws. It's close to 8 years old now. But he does manage to bust out a destroyer to around 250ft. ;)

Not trying to derail this thread, but I'm just glad we have people like Jamie, SpinTV, etc, that really care about "us" for the unfair exploitation in the disc golf community by setting a precedent of not taking any ad revenue for their social media video views (and surely if you did you would share that revenue with all the players) and a big shout out for not collecting "metrics" from the users that watch those videos, which again saves "us" from being exploited in return for personalized ads, info about our social media trends, etc. :clap:

"legit", "culture", "exploit", "ad revenue", seriously? I'm pretty sure "saltydiscs.com" is still available. smdh....
Yes, somebody please save the DG community from exploitation!

I'm an old fart but I don't even know who this dude is. Youtube is only for disc golf and music videos, isn't it?

I like Brodie.
I hope he does well.
I hope he enjoys what he's doing.
I hope that he gets more people involved in disc golf.
Now if he could just get the Dude Perfect guys to participate, too, that would be excellent!

Yes l, I figure that I'm in the minority of disc golfers with this opinion. That's ok.

Any predictions on how well he will do? His Ultimate background should suit the short game (mid ranges, putters) well, but I think his biggest hurdle will be getting 400+ distance with drivers. :popcorn:

I'd be shocked if he can't already throw over 400' consistently.

The guy is huge (6'5") and been launching lids his entire life.

Here's a novel idea: why don't we wait and see how it turns out before trying to assume his motivation for doing this? I find him kind of annoying on his videos but I'm also willing to wait and see what happens with him before judging this whole venture.

Latest posts