• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

Well aware, but a more experienced pro might be able to stop the bleeding a little easier than him.

Maybe. Maybe not. We'll see. Brodie's no different than anyone else when scrambling. He has all the GOOT shots due to his Ultimate background.

Brodie is going to get wrecked at Idlewild. I don't believe he has the course management experience to handle this track.

Good chance brodie shoots high 800 to low 900 rounds this weekend.

I'll put up 3 of my tour series discs that he shoots above 925 ("low 900s") each round to all comers. Anyone interested in this action, and only this action, please post below with what you're putting up as your ante. I will answer no further questions about my predictions.

I'll put up 3 of my tour series discs that he shoots above 925 ("low 900s") each round to all comers. Anyone interested in this action, and only this action, please post below with what you're putting up as your ante. I will answer no further questions about my predictions.

I'd take that action except I think you're right... my guesses:

942, 979, 964

It took more or less a +16 84 to shoot around 900 last year...

The weather will be good with light to moderate winds all weekend, he would have to blow up pretty hard to shoot that high.

Last edited:
I think he'll break 920, but won't be competitively relevant.

I doubt he'll be competitively relevant on tour for another year or two, if he really ever is on a consistent basis. He's already 32 and has a bad knee. He has a lot of shot shaping and disc manipulation to learn on top of just getting the consistent release you need to play with the big dogs on a weekly basis. He does seem to have a lot of drive to get there though, so who knows how far he can take it. He's sure come a lot farther, faster than I thought he would.

I just think its interesting watching a guy with his potential learn the game in front of all of us.

Need to lay odds if you want anyone to take this sucker bet. It is really hard to shoot outlier round ratings (either high or low) on big tough courses...

Need to lay odds if you want anyone to take this sucker bet. It is really hard to shoot outlier round ratings (either high or low) on big tough courses...

Fish's point, I think, is that it's easy to make statements about how bad he'll do. But does anyone really want to put some money where the mouth is?

Brodie was in town well ahead of time, and shooting a LOT of practice shots on the course. The guy is taking this seriously. We're talking about a guy who is a demonstrated 960+ player who is coming to Idlewild and giving it its appropriate due with enough practice shots. He threw some really egregious shots in the video showing him playing many of the holes for the first time, but the feel is the important thing and if he's taking time to get the feel for these shots off the tee he's going to be fine.

As for scrambling: as mentioned he has a feel for a lot of goofy shots. He should be able to work his way back onto the fairway. He has a golfer's mentality on the course, he takes his medicine and moves forward.

I don't think he's gonna shoot many 800s rounds in his disc golf career. At least not at these big events. Considering that Paul has repeatedly complimented Brodie's work ethic I doubt he's blowing smoke up our asses regarding how many times he's coming back to these holes.

I wouldn't say its impossible. those last 5 or 6 holes can rack up a lot of extra strokes on you if you let up on your concentration. Its not hard at all to go 6 8 7 7 to finish the last four. I had a two day event I played a few years ago where we played two rounds of 24 on Saturday at Lincoln Ridge and then 24 longs at Idle on Sunday. After 67 holes, I was 1 shot behind the leader standing on the tee of what is now no15 for the Idle Open(The uphill hole right before the monster 1000fter). Shanked my teeshot into a tree and went deep right. Took me 4 more shots just to get to the top of the hill and then I shanked another and wound up taking a 10 on that hole... butchered the monster, went OB twice on the creek hole. Actually birdied old 17(which isn't played for the Idle Open) but then took a 7 I think on the finishing hole and wound up not even cashing...

Sure....Brodie will not finish in the top three.

Bold indeed. Looking at the field, I'd say top ten is almost as safe a bet.

The point is, no one expects Brodie to win this thing. But I suspect Brodie would be disappointed with three rounds averaging 960. As others have said, he's working hard and understands his potential as well as anyone. He may "bomb" relative to his expectations or his potential, but to expect him to bomb with 910 or 875 rated rounds is a bit ignorant methinks.

Fish's point, I think, is that it's easy to make statements about how bad he'll do. But does anyone really want to put some money where the mouth is?

See, I know that. Strokes aren't worth anything for ratings purposes when par is 67 and there's plenty of OB and other danger. Saw a post that posited high 800s/low 900s, verified that it would take some special effort for a rapidly-improving 970 player to get there, and cast my line. If y'all would keep your mouths shut maybe I could win some new plastic.

See, I know that. Strokes aren't worth anything for ratings purposes when par is 67 and there's plenty of OB and other danger. Saw a post that posited high 800s/low 900s, verified that it would take some special effort for a rapidly-improving 970 player to get there, and cast my line. If y'all would keep your mouths shut maybe I could win some new plastic.

But that's me, standing up for and trying to help inform the uninformed. My bad on the plastic. I figured you have enough!

Latest posts