• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Building the minimalist bag

Around here the courses are so open that you could get by with an overstable driver (works for both BH and FH at all sorts of distances) and a Putter that throws well too.

For me it's a D1 and a Wizard.

You discovered the Wizard and it wasn't for putting with? You should most definitely be putting with a Wizard.

not sure why it's surprising that i picked up the disc known as the best driving putter in the game and took it to the tee before i took it to the green.

i'll most definitely putt with the disc i can put in the basket most often. right now, that's a challenger.

not sure why it's surprising that i picked up the disc known as the best driving putter in the game and took it to the tee before i took it to the green.

i'll most definitely putt with the disc i can put in the basket most often. right now, that's a challenger.

IDK. I guess it's suprising because when I found the Wizard it was over (PW Wiz that is) best driving putter? Sure. Best putting putter? Sure. Best approach disc? In a lot of scenarios. The wizard IMO is pretty aptly named, it works magic.challys are good also. It's all about hand feel, comfort, comfidence on the green man, if the chally gives ya that, good for you.

well, it's just a matter of time. at some point the wiz stack will be bigger than the chally stack and once i have enough practice hours on the green with the wiz to feel confident...

i do really love the black discraft pro d plastic though. and it will take some time to find a big stack of wizards that all feel the same. i like the firm eraser plastic so far.

well, it's just a matter of time. at some point the wiz stack will be bigger than the chally stack and once i have enough practice hours on the green with the wiz to feel confident...

i do really love the black discraft pro d plastic though. and it will take some time to find a big stack of wizards that all feel the same. i like the firm eraser plastic so far.
Email gateway and tell them you're looking for a firm black organic wizard. Best feel for putting I've come across.

I've been looking for the perfect Straight to OS mid that fits my needs for BH and FH. Right now, I use the Zone, and I'm very happy with it. However, I would love a bit more distance so I can drop my Firebird when trying to play a 4 disc round. I just purchased a verdict, so I'm hoping that will fit the bill. Basically I am looking for a beadless mid that is a shorter Teebird instead of a shorter firebird. Then I could go:

Envy, Verdict, Teebird, D2

Without making me read through the entire thread, has anyone looked at garublador's
How to Build a Bag?

Personally, I'm a little (maybe a lot) frustrated with my inability to shape shots, so I'll be working through his suggestions.

Without making me read through the entire thread, has anyone looked at garublador's
How to Build a Bag?

Personally, I'm a little (maybe a lot) frustrated with my inability to shape shots, so I'll be working through his suggestions.

Yeap.... When I started over 5 years ago I followed his advice and it changed my game and outlook.

I bagged a Star Eagle-X, DX Gazelle, KC Roc and a Yeti Aviar for a Year. Quite the eye opener!

My bag is still pretty minimalist, I just don't have the need for the specific disc for every different shot mentality.

I've been looking for the perfect Straight to OS mid that fits my needs for BH and FH. Right now, I use the Zone, and I'm very happy with it. However, I would love a bit more distance so I can drop my Firebird when trying to play a 4 disc round. I just purchased a verdict, so I'm hoping that will fit the bill. Basically I am looking for a beadless mid that is a shorter Teebird instead of a shorter firebird. Then I could go:

Envy, Verdict, Teebird, D2

I don't think you will be disappointed in the Verdict. It's very similar to a Teebird in flight to me. The flat top ones are more stable in my experience.

yeah all personal preferences - but I would say -
-a Stable putter (for putts)
-a overstable putter for throws,
-overall stable mid for everything
-Control driver/fairway driver that's pretty straight to slight turn
-Control/Fairway that's pretty OS
- Distance Driver that can be thrown anywhere

I would go
-Atom
-Zone
-Buzzz
-Volt
-Machete
-Mayhem or Octane

Considering taking the high speed stuff out for a bit and the OS compliments as well narrow it down to Wizard ,Prophecy, Teebird, FD3, OLF.

I consider myself to have a minimalist bag. (see sig for the only molds I throw) However, I find myself carrying multiples of each mold, sometimes up to 5 of each disc in some cases. I have always preached mold minimalism; and have really enjoyed sticking with it. I think it has helped me in the long run with improving my game.

Is it enough to just have mold minimalism, or should you try to minimize the total number of discs as well to be truly minimal?

I feel like it will even out. The minimal bag will give you less of a chance of making the wrong decision. Maybe you just get really good with those six discs.

Obviously, you'd probably suffer in situations where you used to throw a utility disc.

I went ahead and stripped my bag down. 5 molds, Philo style minus high speed drivers. I do plan on carrying multiples as these are already cycled molds in my setup but I feel like this is the core of my bag.
OLF
FD3
TB
Prophecy
Wizard

When I'm out bagging courses, unless it's a really extreme course (where I need to carry water and other essentials). I've been taking only 4 discs (3 molds) with me while I play. I carry 2 pink 150 starlite sidewinders, 1 stratus and an old beat up 86 softie. If I lose one of my sidewinders, i have a back up and if I see a girl/woman playing with their boyfriends/husbands heavier disc (usually IMO the wrong disc for them), I'll give them one of my pink sidewinders to try and if they do well with it and like it, i'll give it to them.

When I'm out bagging courses, unless it's a really extreme course (where I need to carry water and other essentials). I've been taking only 4 discs (3 molds) with me while I play. I carry 2 pink 150 starlite sidewinders, 1 stratus and an old beat up 86 softie. If I lose one of my sidewinders, i have a back up and if I see a girl/woman playing with their boyfriends/husbands heavier disc (usually IMO the wrong disc for them), I'll give them one of my pink sidewinders to try and if they do well with it and like it, i'll give it to them.

So you're using sidewinders to slide up in that? Noice!

I went ahead and stripped my bag down. 5 molds, Philo style minus high speed drivers. I do plan on carrying multiples as these are already cycled molds in my setup but I feel like this is the core of my bag.
OLF
FD3
TB
Prophecy
Wizard

Thumbing through another thread I got to thinking, I didn't realize I cut the Scale...... Damn, I love that thing. I guess I should get good without it though it was never really my intention to throw OOP stuff........

Thumbing through another thread I got to thinking, I didn't realize I cut the Scale...... Damn, I love that thing. I guess I should get good without it though it was never really my intention to throw OOP stuff........

The Scale OOP? What?

Latest posts