• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Building the minimalist bag

Damn 3 disc tourney... awesome! Good luck!

If I was playing that it would be plasma envy, relay and probably a fission tesla.
(Ha I've changed this three times in edit already :D)

My standard choices for a 5 disc small bag is:
E soft envy, plaz envy, comet, relay, volt.

Last edited:
Four disc bag
My beat in pro d roach
Beat z wasp
Uli raptor
Beat esp Nuke

If I'm in a hurry:

Luna
Zone
Buzzz
Valk

I can throw them on any angle well enough to get within a couple strokes of having a full bag. If I have to lay up instead of trying to thread a dogleg because I don't have the disc for it, that's probably better for my score anyhow. But generally I like having more toys because they're fun.

Damn 3 disc tourney... awesome! Good luck!

If I was playing that it would be plasma envy, relay and probably a fission tesla.
(Ha I've changed this three times in edit already :D)

My standard choices for a 5 disc small bag is:
E soft envy, plaz envy, comet, relay, volt.

For three, I think I'm landing on Entropy/Crave/Wave. Similar approach though, where I'm guessing you're looking at the Envy to bridge the putter/mid gap and the other two to start stretching out.

For three, I think I'm landing on Entropy/Crave/Wave. Similar approach though, where I'm guessing you're looking at the Envy to bridge the putter/mid gap and the other two to start stretching out.

Pretty much, bet on the drivers to gain distance strokes, one control one stable. Fill everything else with an Envy. Fwiw the relay can fill a turnover or stable mid slot for me.

I once won a glow event on a short course with just a glow Lightning #2 Upshot hot

If could only use one disc, I'd throw a DGA Squall.

Minimal bag: Likely would be able to get along just fine with 5 discs though I carry 14 models in my current bag but no DGA Squall.

driver
understate driver
mid-range
putter
forehand utility

I'm flexible on models except my forehand utility has gotta be a 150 class Flick.

Last edited:
In reasonable conditions on most courses... I could probably shoot close to my full bag average with just a Comet.

That being said, I think the best minimalist bag has:

Comfortable Putter
Neutral Mid
Stable Driver

For me that would be Myth, Comet, Banzai at the moment.

1 disc bag: Axiom Envy - even though this isn't in any of my bags.....I'd throw it if I could only have one disc. Excellent all around - off the tee, upshots, putts, forehand, backhand, roller.
2 discs: DGA Breaker, Latitude64 River
3 discs: DGA Breaker, L64 River, Kastaplast Svea
4 discs: Legacy Clutch, DGA Breaker, L64 River, Kastaplast Svea
5 discs: Legacy Clutch, DGA Breaker, L64 River, Kastaplast Svea, DiscMania Essence

1 disc bag: Axiom Envy - even though this isn't in any of my bags.....I'd throw it if I could only have one disc. Excellent all around - off the tee, upshots, putts, forehand, backhand, roller.
2 discs: DGA Breaker, Latitude64 River
3 discs: DGA Breaker, L64 River, Kastaplast Svea
4 discs: Legacy Clutch, DGA Breaker, L64 River, Kastaplast Svea
5 discs: Legacy Clutch, DGA Breaker, L64 River, Kastaplast Svea, DiscMania Essence

Yeah I no longer bag or own any Envys, but that's definitely up there for the best 1 disc round D.

I've thought a lot about minimizing the discs I carry this last year, mostly because I like simplicity and it's a fun challenge to contemplate over. I also kept stats on how often I threw certain types of discs this summer and it's helped me come to terms with which are my essentials. Of course it depends on the course but this is the order that I would add discs to my bag if I didn't know the course.

1. Putter (let's assume I start with this, I would putt with a mid if I for real were only allowed one disc)
2. Straight mid (Buzzz-ish)
3. OS fairway (Firebird-ish)
4. Predictable Distance Driver (Destroyer-ish)
5. Straight/Neutral FW (FD/Undertaker-ish)
6. OS Approach (Zone/Harp-ish)
**7. Control driver (PD/Thunderbird-ish; this is a disc that I throw a lot when I bag it but don't really miss when I don't, it's a jack of all trades and steal shots from 3, 4 and 5)

With these discs I have what I need most of the time and the rest of the discs I bag is nice to have when I need them but doesn't get thrown much (roller disc, turnover DD, understable mid etc)

I guess, if I travel and decide not to bring my bag for some reason???

My answer is a putter in my luggage. What putter? It does not matter.

This is what I was thinking about. But, I'd probably squeeze in something like a fairway driver if possible. The deep flat rim can be pretty rough on the fingers.

I played Carroll Marty for the better part of 2 years with a stiffer Warlock or Classic Aviar, seasoned DX Roc and Champ Leopard. The next additions to the bag, in order, would be:
Champ Firebird
Star Shryke
swap the Champ Leo for a Star one and add a Star Teebird
ESP Zone

In essence it's a neutral and workable putter, mid and fairway. Then distance driver and stable to OS fairway.

When traveling light in recent years I bag a Warlock, DX Roc, and Star Teebird, all lightly to medium levels of wear.

Just played a round yesterday with only an Axiom Envy. It was really fun and eye opening. I didn't get my best score for the course, but I also didn't get my worst. I was a few strokes above my average. I don't bag the Envy because my other discs are for specific things....my putter is a Legacy Clutch, approach is DGA Breaker, fairway is Innova Teebird, tee is Discmania Essence. I have other discs also, but those are the main ones I use. But for a one disc round, the Envy fits all the spots. The round was a lot easier as I didn't have to make a decision on what disc to throw....it was the Envy. I never had the "oh heck, I should have thrown this other disc instead" moments. I just had to make the Envy work for me and I did. It was interesting how many shots I was able to pull off that I wouldn't have tried before since I'd have a different disc for it. But the number one thing that surprised me was how many putts I made outside my normal range. I might drop my Clutch and Breaker and just have the Envy fill both those spots.

I'm going to be trying it again, and then maybe a two disc round (Envy and Innova Mako3).

I've carried a full bag, but I've only used my VIP Hatchet, my Z Sol, my Champ Firebird, and my putting putter (Classic Aviar) for my last few woods rounds.

I'd go with these for my minimalist bag. I don't have a strong arm so I rely on FWs a lot.

Innova Champion Tern (Distance)
Discraft ZFLX Heat (Understable FW)
Discmania NEO Essence (Slight Understable to Stable FW)
Lat 64 Gold Line River (Straight FW)
Innova Champion Eagle (Overstable FW)
Discraft Z Archer (Understable MR)
Lat 64 Opto Keystone (Putter)

I've found I don't need a bag for 4 discs but 5 is pushing it. I'll sometimes only bring 4 with me to a lot of the 9 hole courses. Wysocki proved a plastic grocery bag is sufficient for 6 discs and even has room to spare in case you find an extra on the course!