• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Buzz like driver

Crave.
You didn't say what plastic you are using for the Buzzz, and that might change what plastic for Crave.

There is a noticeable difference between a brand new ESP & Glo-Z Buzzz. The Glo-Z's have always been more 5|4|0|2 where ESP's follow the standard 5|4|-1|1 flight.

A Hannah Leatherman Glow Champ Leo3 would probably be in your wheelhouse, as well.

I've certainly been tempted but avoided them for a couple reasons:
1) I really like luster champ and find color glow to be a little too gummy (luster has been really nice in all temperature/humidity combinations)
1b) it's nice that luster champ is cheaper
2) they look flat, which I don't really like in a Leo
3) I believe they're flippier than the lusters?

Overall, the Gibson Leo3 just struck me as a winning mold/plastic combination from throw number one, and hopped into the bag right away.

I've certainly been tempted but avoided them for a couple reasons:
1) I really like luster champ and find color glow to be a little too gummy (luster has been really nice in all temperature/humidity combinations)
1b) it's nice that luster champ is cheaper
2) they look flat, which I don't really like in a Leo
3) I believe they're flippier than the lusters?

Overall, the Gibson Leo3 just struck me as a winning mold/plastic combination from throw number one, and hopped into the bag right away.

I understand those arguments. My only point of disagreement is that my two H.L. CG Leo3s don't feel gummy to me, they feel firm but grippy enough in my hands.

Unfortunately I have not had the chance to acquire a Luster Leo3, so I don't know if they're that much more overstable than the H.L. CGs. The H.L. CGs come in max weight; if they were about 10g less (160-class), they might indeed have more turn, but the ones I have aren't flippy at all.. I am working hard to beat them in with lots of throws in the woods, so we'll see how that goes.. :)

There is a noticeable difference between a brand new ESP & Glo-Z Buzzz. The Glo-Z's have always been more 5|4|0|2 where ESP's follow the standard 5|4|-1|1 flight.

Interesting, I'm assuming you mean regular stock ESP and not the Mcbeth series. The mcbuzzz is the only buzzz I've thrown (roc guy here) but it flies more like the Glo numbers you described.

By the way, I love it. It goes far. Still keep two DX rocs in the bag with it. The McBuzzz just locks on to a line, where as my rocs may pop up or fade off the line.

Nope. I can crush a QJ as far as most molds I've tried over the years. Now I'm sad I sold all of them and want one again.

I wish I would have known this before I mailed the mystery box. :doh:

BTW, I disagree.. the JLS seems to be less high speed stable than a beat in tee bird...

That's probably true for the newer runs of JLS. The early run QJ's are more high speed stable.

tenor.gif

Stalkers are great if you can find them. For my money and availability, Leo3, CD2, and TD can't really be beat for that type of flight. It's hard to find something faster that's as dead straight and controllable as a Buzzz. The faster the disc, the stronger LSS they'll have.

The Avenger SS has similar fade to a Buzzz, but is much more understable at high speed. Currently, I bag a Leo3 and a couple S-TDs for these shots.

I wish I would have known this before I mailed the mystery box. :doh:

Thanks for leaving the Distance Driver Roadrunner in there for me:thmbup: I'll survive without a QJ somehow...

Im sure many have been mentioned before. As speed goes up there is more LATERAL movement, so to get that very straight BUZZZ flight you really can't go much faster than speed 8. With that said, the Stalker (by discraft) was initially designed as a hybrid FAirway to be like a longer Mid. Its probably the best answer here. But also the TL / Leopard3 / and Legacy PATRIOT are very straight flying fairway discs. A beat in Premium TEEBIRD is also a GREAT answer.
for faster, a new disc I just started using is the Streamline Lift that's fairly straight but again at speed 9 there is more lateral movement in the flight so it takes some finesse. THe MVP AMP is also a good answer.

But to get that true longer Buzzz I think the Stalker is good. I wish discraft made more stalkers as they seemed to lose popularity.

Im sure many have been mentioned before. As speed goes up there is more LATERAL movement, so to get that very straight BUZZZ flight you really can't go much faster than speed 8.

I mostly agree with you, but I still say the Speed 11 Innova Krait is an exception to that. The Krait flies amazingly straight, with a bit of a dump fade at the end. When McBeth was throwing Kraits a few years ago, he remarked on how straight the Krait flight was.

I mostly agree with you, but I still say the Speed 11 Innova Krait is an exception to that. The Krait flies amazingly straight, with a bit of a dump fade at the end. When McBeth was throwing Kraits a few years ago, he remarked on how straight the Krait flight was.

Every faster disc will have play in the movement right or left. SO its more how a person throws to make a driver fly straight. The KRAIT is a good disc for that though so I'd agree, but it still has a healthy fade unless you match the angle/power/ etc all perfectly and the flight ends before a fade out. No Drivers (above 8-9) can fly like a mid, just doesn't work.

The description of the Stalker on Discraft's website is "Like a Buzzz with driver distance." I think it's pretty accurate, especially the glows. With the beaded rim it has always felt like a tweener mid/fairway to me. It's a little shorter than the Leopards, FD's, and Patriots I used to throw.

Im sure many have been mentioned before. As speed goes up there is more LATERAL movement, so to get that very straight BUZZZ flight you really can't go much faster than speed 8. With that said, the Stalker (by discraft) was initially designed as a hybrid FAirway to be like a longer Mid. Its probably the best answer here. But also the TL / Leopard3 / and Legacy PATRIOT are very straight flying fairway discs. A beat in Premium TEEBIRD is also a GREAT answer.
for faster, a new disc I just started using is the Streamline Lift that's fairly straight but again at speed 9 there is more lateral movement in the flight so it takes some finesse. THe MVP AMP is also a good answer.

But to get that true longer Buzzz I think the Stalker is good. I wish Discraft made more Stalkers as they seemed to lose popularity.

Yeah the Z Stalker is on its way out as are all OS Fairway Drivers from Discraft as most Pro Players From Discraft want a Speed 9-10 OS disc and so they cater to Pro players that want a 9-10 Speed OS disc be it a Predator, Vulture, or Undertaker. That leaves us non pro players in limbo if we want to Use Discraft, we then need to use DGA discs for this slot if you were not me and bought 6 extra Stalkers. It seems on the US side they are catering to the non pro or pro that wants a roller with a bunch of disc that are fairway with a midrange feel to the rim, are a actual roller or are very US. Only disc not like that from what I can see is a Sing and even that apears to not be on the OS side. I guess Cyclone is the only OS fairway disc still made and that is only in Pro D. Is Zombie still made? if so then 2 and Zombie is almost a midrange.

Only one Disc Mold that was shelved or stopped ended up as a disc and that was all Paul McBeth's doing.

Last edited:
Try a Westside Discs Sword. As everyone mentioned you won't get an identical flight but the sword is purty straight.