• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cam Todd Pro Basket Prototype

So you're saying that you carry a tape measure during sanctioned rounds? :D
"Am I out?" "Let me grab my tape measure..."
J/K I'm glad there is still a sense of humor lurking around here.....:hfive:

I ran into a guy that carried a 30m string with him with a ring that he could close around the pole at the bottom to measure out the 30 m rule if there was ever an issue.

...actually its 32ft 9 and 45/64 inches, but who has a tape measure that measures 64s of an inch?

....There was once time everyone thought the world was flat ...

Next you'll be trying to get us to believe dg didn't really exist till Cam came along...:thmbdown:

The design looks fine---and for empty, treeless municipal short courses, it could certainly help add a little challenge for the huck-and-putt crowd.

Delusions aside, the PDGA won't alter the standard basket dimensions. Maybe they'll allow these for pro events, but that's as far as it'll go.

I ran into a guy that carried a 30m string with him with a ring that he could close around the pole at the bottom to measure out the 30 m rule if there was ever an issue.

Haha....did you and I play together...

Can we stop trying to make everything about this game exactly like golf?

Where do people come up with these arbitrary distances where putting goes from automatic, to easy to difficult, but not difficult enough?

You realize, even in golf, those distances exist. Making the target bigger or smaller will only change those distances, not eliminate them. In golf, a tap in is a foot or less (for arguments sake), in disc golf, its 10 feet. So what. For pro's in each sport, its a bit longer, for a novice, shorter. What do you accomplish by manipulating the target so putts from X distance are harder? All that does is make the previously bitched about distance a little shorter. So now the Am's will struggle at 20 and the pros struggle at 40, this progresses our game how?

Where do people come up with these arbitrary distances where putting goes from automatic, to easy to difficult, but not difficult enough?

You realize, even in golf, those distances exist. Making the target bigger or smaller will only change those distances, not eliminate them. In golf, a tap in is a foot or less (for arguments sake), in disc golf, its 10 feet. So what. For pro's in each sport, its a bit longer, for a novice, shorter. What do you accomplish by manipulating the target so putts from X distance are harder? All that does is make the previously bitched about distance a little shorter. So now the Am's will struggle at 20 and the pros struggle at 40, this progresses our game how?

:clap::clap::clap:

Bravo, sir....Bravo! :thmbup:

Nothing is wrong with the baskets. Make better courses if putting is too easy for McBeth and Lizotte. There are thousands of courses around the world, it seems to me that it would be very counterproductive to try and change the target at this point.

Personally I have no problem with these baskets, but then again, I have no problem with ANY basket. We ALL have to try to throw our putters into them so have 'as good a chance as anyone' at doing so. I guess my only gripe (along these lines) is why - attention: thread hijack - the PDGA had to go and determine what are 'different classifications' (championship, et al) for targets anyway! I'm torn between the concept that all basketball hoops are the same size, etc., and that one of the best things about dg is that it CAN be so "different than the next course"...so why not targets? If you don't like targets (which ARE part of a course...and thus maybe don't like 'the course') don't play it. If the PDGA mandates that a course on which an event is to be held that is PDGA sanctioned MUST have 'PDGA certified' baskets, that's another thing...and I guess their right. But, as someone alluded to on some past thread, what would be wrong (both in challenge-wise and other-wise) if EVERY basket was different than the others? It would just add another challenge to the pie in that one would have to "lighten up" on the weight of a putt and/or 'go strong' if a "beefier basket".

What's the 30 meter rule?

What's the 30m rule?

Also, if you are using an English System tape measure, the official conversion of 10 meters is exactly 32 feet 10 inches. See 800.03.

Nothing is wrong with the baskets. Make better courses if putting is too easy for McBeth and Lizotte. There are thousands of courses around the world, it seems to me that it would be very counterproductive to try and change the target at this point.

Exactly. Common sense again.... I thought about this thread when I was watching Texas states and they didn't have proper pads on a number of the holes. I personally feel that proper pads/baskets and harder/more maintained courses are the main issues we should be worried about right now.:popcorn:

The TX States course looked terrible. The biggest obstacle was the wind, BUT there were a lot of missed putts and 60' layups. Who'd've ever thought, what with putting being so easy!

Everybody says "make the greens and lines more challenging" , problem is , there is little money involved in this sport. Not many people or city's are willing to donate there property for a non profit dg course. Especially choice property with all the features you want out of a top course. Plus the cost to maintain these courses (mowing/trimming/litter ext).
The most cost effective and easy way to improve a course and make it more of a challenge, is to change the baskets.
A 40ft putt should be an accomplishment and challenge not a 50/50.
Most people don't go disc golfing to putt. Most chuckers I see and weekend AMs don't even take the putting seriously. If we want this to be a legit sport we need to increase the difficulty. We can't just hope someone will offer up there exclusive epic property for disc golf.
I want to see a pro make 50% of his 40 footers on a basket like this so I can be jelly that I can't do that. Doing this would force everyone to get better that takes disc golf seriously without just making a 10 thousand foot course.
Let's face it, ppl can learn this sport quickly and play at a pretty high level without practicing every day. Just look at our masters divisions. Those guys are a little more than weekend warriors. They just have played for years and years and it's almost like riding a bike to them. Put up a skinny basket and see how many ppl start practicing more on putting in every division. Like someone said before, golf is very addicting because of the challenge. Baskets like this won't hurt the sport one bit, it will increase in popularity with more ppl out on the course practicing.

Sorry for the rant but I'm all in on this type of basket. Hopefully a big basket maker will start making these type of baskets and let you exchange old baskets for them.

I definitely thought about this thread while watching the Texas States video. Sure, putting can be relatively easy if the winds are calm and the basket is on flat ground out in the open. But add in some wind, elevation, trees, cliffs, water, pressure, etc... not so much. Even McBeth doinked a couple of "easy" putts that round.

Everybody says "make the greens and lines more challenging" , problem is , there is little money involved in this sport. Not many people or city's are willing to donate there property for a non profit dg course. Especially choice property with all the features you want out of a top course. Plus the cost to maintain these courses (mowing/trimming/litter ext).

Trust me, living in Tucson proves this. We have some meh courses... Then when we DO have a challenging green, many complain about the trees.. it kills me. Get a few shock cords and cord the chains tight, and play em that way if you want a harder target. Really, I'd rather have to work the line in, than simply hit the pole.

All, in all I agree with the comment on cost, but not sure buying multiple basket sets alleviates that either.

Having putted on this basket, I can tell you it is definitely more challenging when lowered and will require players to really hit the center of the basket to make a putt.

Disc golf has gotten too easy for professional players, and in order to elevate the sport to the next level, those players need to be pushed to perform at a higher level.

Great idea for a basket, intriguing idea. I think it'd be great to use to make you perform better for sure.

As far as making the sport more difficult for the top pros, I'd prefer to see longer courses. More par 4 & 5's. I don't just want to see them miss putts...

Good luck with the endeavor!