• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can you be "niced" after the fact

Can a "nice" happen after a throw has been completed?

• Yes, a "nice" can happen after the fact and this is a prime example

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • While "nicing" exists, there's no way it can happen after the fact

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • What the h--- are you guys talking about? Do you believe in Santa Claus, too?

Votes: 32 60.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

araytx

* Ace Member *
Feel free to post those videos of the "nice" effects.

Now, here is the scenario for you to answer the poll with and discuss:

Several friends & I have a FB Messenger group where we chat and mostly discuss disc golf stuff. One of our buddies is playing in a tournament and we get to follow what's happening in PDGA Live scoring. We are all commenting as he slowly takes the lead during that back nine of the second and final round. Our buddy has come back from a three stroke deficit and gets a 2-throw lead with two challenging finishing holes (par4/par3) to play. He had gone 4-6 on the first round. SO he's on #17. We're waiting. commenting. I have to tell the guys that holes 15-16-17 often don't get good cell reception so it's probably delayed. The score finally comes up and he gets the par 4, now only one hole left. So I make this comment on our online FB Messenger group, "Way to go Jimmy (names changed to protect the innocent), now just play it safe & get this tee shot over the water and you'll be home free."

It's at that time that I get accused of "nicing" him. Comments like, "...there you go, jinxing him...," "...if he loses now, it's all your fault...," "...can't believe you niced him when he had a chance to win the tournament," etc. start coming my way. And I said, "...Way-way-wait a second. With the delay in the time we get these scores he had already thrown by the time I made that comment. I don't believe he can be 'niced' after the throw has already occurred. C'mon., guys!"

So that's the story so, what's your thoughts? Was this a nicing? a jinxing? a nothing since it happened after the fact? or do you just not believe in that stuff?

Last edited:
OOOOO, you jinxed him. Your wording put it out to the universe before the fact. "now.....get....be home free"; those are all BEFORE the fact words/statements. You 'niced' him from the future. :)

BTW: You say "...before you answer the poll...". I didn't see a poll.

While I don't believe the nice effects actually exist, I do feel there is a strange coincidence in the frequency of bad shots that looked good, prior to "nice" being uttered.

Oddly, I do believe that dice are little butt-heads. The likes of whom will defy you should you dare to make a request.

Murphy's Law is far easier. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

Magic isn't real.

This may sound silly because it's contradictory, but even though I'm seriously against wish-thinking when something is at stake, I still entertain it in certain settings like disc golf because I'm superstitious whether I want to be or not. I've gambled for a living at times, and yet I still think I'm "due" for a good hand, or should quit while I'm ahead, and other nonsense. I've trained myself to overcome this, which wasn't very difficult, but it remains. I'm the same superstitious boob I've always been, I just know to have a laugh about it and not to take it on board.

That's all to say, I like "magic isn't real" and stating it bluntly, and I also like pretending there's magic, especially in a keyed-down group setting.

Our club has a "No Nicing" rule which had been in effect for at least a dozen years, but we do have Nice shirts, discs, socks, etc. all which are allowed to be worn during play.

What's the punishment for nicing?

Just an honor system thing, but alternative revenge is acceptable...like maybe getting an unsolicited nickname, finding a dried up dead animal in your bag, or finding the back of your shirt is suspicious covered with burrs, stuff like that...all is game, just no nicing!

Just an honor system thing, but alternative revenge is acceptable...like maybe getting an unsolicited nickname, finding a dried up dead animal in your bag, or finding the back of your shirt is suspicious covered with burrs, stuff like that...all is game, just no nicing!

I always make sure to nice people like this. :)

My disc landed on a dead squirrel the other day, true story. You could shove that sucker in that "nicers" bag pocket and zip it up. Hope he doesn't find it for a while.

I took it home and had lunch.

Latest posts