• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can you be "niced" after the fact

Can a "nice" happen after a throw has been completed?

• Yes, a "nice" can happen after the fact and this is a prime example

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • While "nicing" exists, there's no way it can happen after the fact

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • What the h--- are you guys talking about? Do you believe in Santa Claus, too?

Votes: 32 60.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feel free to post those videos of the "nice" effects.

Now, here is the scenario for you to answer the poll with and discuss:

Several friends & I have a FB Messenger group where we chat and mostly discuss disc golf stuff. One of our buddies is playing in a tournament and we get to follow what's happening in PDGA Live scoring. We are all commenting as he slowly takes the lead during that back nine of the second and final round. Our buddy has come back from a three stroke deficit and gets a 2-throw lead with two challenging finishing holes (par4/par3) to play. He had gone 4-6 on the first round. SO he's on #17. We're waiting. commenting. I have to tell the guys that holes 15-16-17 often don't get good cell reception so it's probably delayed. The score finally comes up and he gets the par 4, now only one hole left. So I make this comment on our online FB Messenger group, "Way to go Jimmy (names changed to protect the innocent), now just play it safe & get this tee shot over the water and you'll be home free."

It's at that time that I get accused of "nicing" him. Comments like, "...there you go, jinxing him...," "...if he loses now, it's all your fault...," "...can't believe you niced him when he had a chance to win the tournament," etc. start coming my way. And I said, "...Way-way-wait a second. With the delay in the time we get these scores he had already thrown by the time I made that comment. I don't believe he can be 'niced' after the throw has already occurred. C'mon., guys!"

So that's the story so, what's your thoughts? Was this a nicing? a jinxing? a nothing since it happened after the fact? or do you just not believe in that stuff?

Well. How did your buddy end up finishing???

So it's a Schrödinger's cat problem. Can a "Nice" affect a shot that has already happened, but we don't know the result?

Similarly, suppose there's a blind shot and someone throws what looks like a good shot, but could have rolled down a hill, faded into some water, etc. What if someone says Nice when the shot has definitely landed, but you don't know where?

"Yes, a "nice" can happen after the fact and this is a prime example". I think I have a twist on this one:

Yesterday afternoon round in 25 mph winds with some gust over 40 moderate tree course, leaves flying everywhere. I break out my wind busters, and approach a party of 7 on an upslope hole with a ridge that downslopes to the basket. They let me play thru, I smoke it up the middle thru the trees and over the ridge on the green which the disc cant be seen. I get a few "Nice's" and other comments on the throw. I thank them and I'm on my way.
I've played the hole more than 200 times, and I know there's a few trees I could be parked next to that cant be seen from the tee, and I'm likely on the wrong side of the two guardian v-shaped trees protecting the basket for my birdie. Yep, that's what happened for a two putt.
The throw was very nice, but the result parked next to the tree interfering with my putt was not. I'm still grateful for the "Nice's" on the throw. If I don't know the final result "nice throw, hopefully in a good position", something like that.

Feel free to post those videos of the "nice" effects.

Now, here is the scenario for you to answer the poll with and discuss:

Several friends & I have a FB Messenger group where we chat and mostly discuss disc golf stuff. One of our buddies is playing in a tournament and we get to follow what's happening in PDGA Live scoring. We are all commenting as he slowly takes the lead during that back nine of the second and final round. Our buddy has come back from a three stroke deficit and gets a 2-throw lead with two challenging finishing holes (par4/par3) to play. He had gone 4-6 on the first round. SO he's on #17. We're waiting. commenting. I have to tell the guys that holes 15-16-17 often don't get good cell reception so it's probably delayed. The score finally comes up and he gets the par 4, now only one hole left. So I make this comment on our online FB Messenger group, "Way to go Jimmy (names changed to protect the innocent), now just play it safe & get this tee shot over the water and you'll be home free."

It's at that time that I get accused of "nicing" him. Comments like, "...there you go, jinxing him...," "...if he loses now, it's all your fault...," "...can't believe you niced him when he had a chance to win the tournament," etc. start coming my way. And I said, "...Way-way-wait a second. With the delay in the time we get these scores he had already thrown by the time I made that comment. I don't believe he can be 'niced' after the throw has already occurred. C'mon., guys!"

So that's the story so, what's your thoughts? Was this a nicing? a jinxing? a nothing since it happened after the fact? or do you just not believe in that stuff?

The real question is: did Jimmy lose the tournament on the last hole?

If you were praying and God is outside time, then if you don't know the result, what's the difference in praying for something before or after it occurs?

So my answer is, if you were praying, potentially. But The likelihood that you were praying based on your post seems unlikely, so I voted no.

Also, I'm an athiest when it comes to nicing.

4n4rqr.jpg

I don't belive in the "nice" effect, but I do believe in Santa Claus so I wasn't sure how to vote.

I started to say "Easter Bunny" or "Tooth Fairy," but I decided to keep the pressure on.

I have zero patience for anyone who doesn't want me to genuinely root for them to do well or congratulate them on good execution, etc.

So, are you saying 'premature congratulations' warrants more brownie points for you? or someone else? or ...?

Well. How did your buddy end up finishing???
The real question is: did Jimmy lose the tournament on the last hole?

Wow, you guys thought I'd give up the outcome before I got a bunch of responses and comments. Nice.

Wow, you guys thought I'd give up the outcome before I got a bunch of responses and comments. Nice.

Ultimately, this answers the question. Did he win? Then you can't nice him. Did he lose? It was definitely a retroactive "nice" in action.

I do like the modern physics explanation that someone else supplied.

According to some interpretations of quantum mechanics, as long as the observer (you) has not yet received information about a past event your actions can still influence the observed outcome.

Thank you Steve.
I'm all into that quantum theory, heisenberg thingamajig, observer effect stuff.
Definitely should never "Nice" a video.
It's science...

People who believe nicing can have a retroactive effect are the same people watching a recorded sports game hoping for a different outcome.