• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Catalyst

After several drives at the course with the Catalyst, the jury is still out. I can muscle it out past 300, but it fights to get there. At that distance, it is straight with a light fade. Where it shines vs the Octane is holding an anny line. It's less squirrely than an Orbital, so I could see putting in the full bag for those types of shots where I wouldn't want to turn and burn. I imagined a more understable disc, but the Catalyst is not flippy at all.

I see the review, now where's the video?

Let's not forget, making these videos can be very time consuming. Three hours of testing and playing a round equates to about two or more hours of editing and making the video worth watching. Mix in jobs, school, and life, and it is a challenge. I have about three videos still on my camera from this winter/spring I need to upload and edit, but I need new editing software.

I applaud all the testers who give their time to share their passion and experience with equipment and courses. Keep chucking and recording.

4 real. Video is a big PITA unless you want to throw up some found footage type **** lol.

....so where is your video tossing these?!:p only thrown one a few timesbut reminded me of my very seasoned octane. Still not sure i have any business throwing 12+ speed drivers. Seems wrong lol.

Got a Catalyst and took it out today. Was playing a casual round of bad golf with my son, so got to throw multiple drives whenever I wanted. So, I was able to compare it straight up to my other discs.

In stability, it was much the same as the Inertia and Wave. I wasn't able to drive it as far as the Wave. I could put the Wave 30' or 40' past the Inertia; the Catalyst carried about the same as the Inertia. I don't know if it's a design issue or if I just can't even begin to take advantage of the added speed, though if it were the latter, I'd expect it to carry about as far as the Wave.

It's not staying in the bag, though I may pull it out in the future to try it out again.

Ive been throwing a neutron octane since released as a go-to max d driver. Lots of throws on it and some extra seasoning have really started to straighten out the octane.

Sooo i grab an order of SE skulboy protons last week and took 2 out to test at 167g and 174g. Pretty much flew exactly like my octane with the lighter one having softer LSS. Nice to be able to cycle octanes or pickup a catalyst and do work.

For some reason the nitro was just too OS/fast for me but i dont throw very OS stuff in general and like my hyzer-flip game vs anny torque sheeeet. Catalyst might be a winner tho as i can see it seasoning into a true bomber. Octane is already stretching lines i havent hit b4. Specially long glidey hyzer bombs. So fun!

Last edited:
yeah, this disc goes far. It is like a nicely seasoned octane after some more testing which really just lets it ride out on a hyzer flip. I was hitting 425'+ regularly with the pair of protons today and even some 400' straight hyzers into right to left crosswind where it wouldn't flip over just keep riding out and then hold the LSS with the wind beautifully.

I like this thang.

How does the dome on the Proton Octane compare to the Neutron and compared to that of the Nitro? The Proton Nitro I have has a nice "heartbeat" dome but boy is it superbeef.

Same nice dome (i believe all 23mm share 1 core) with a slightly lower PLH. Much less OS vs nitros which i hear you on being hard to tame.

1476471755251.jpg

Catalyst on left in green proton. Nitro red neutron. Flipped upside down to show the raise off shoulder.

I think the Catalyst will be the final piece for my all MVP/Axiom bag. I thought it would be the Octane but I don't have 10 years to break it in.

I meant Octane where I said Nitro in my previous post.

Last edited:
I have some factory 2nd skulboy protons for cheap thrower price if you want. just have a small dimple on the overmold. sparkle green 168g's. These fly a lot like a seasoned octane which is sweet b/c that damn disc is starting to bomb for me but I purposely seasoned it a good amount. Should make a solid pair for my max D along side the slower more OS photon/defy.

Holler if anyone wants some proton SE catalysts. Probably wont list leftovers from preorder in MP as I like the mold so might as well have some nice looking throwers!

:hfive: its 5 oclock some where?! more for me anyway lulz.

only problem with discs that go this far is losing the damn things.

Same nice dome (i believe all 23mm share 1 core) with a slightly lower PLH. Much less OS vs nitros which i hear you on being hard to tame.

View attachment 59864

Catalyst on left in green proton. Nitro red neutron. Flipped upside down to show the raise off shoulder.

I like the looks of both, wings and some dome. Damm, AIM! I really don't want to buy any more discs right now!!

This speed class has changed my game. Giving my beloved Photons a rest. With the Catalyst, Octane, and Nitro it's like having 3 brand new Destroyers in different wear stages right outta the box.

They are getting me closer to the 400' mark. I didn't think I had the arm speed for these, but they surprised the hell outta me. All the work I've put in with the slower speed classes has really paid off.

I also love how the feel nearly identical in the hand

This speed class has changed my game. Giving my beloved Photons a rest. With the Catalyst, Octane, and Nitro it's like having 3 brand new Destroyers in different wear stages right outta the box.

They are getting me closer to the 400' mark. I didn't think I had the arm speed for these, but they surprised the hell outta me. All the work I've put in with the slower speed classes has really paid off.

I also love how the feel nearly identical in the hand

It sounds like the 23mm MVP drivers are great discs for you...count me intrigued. :thmbup:

Snap It if your gonna try one of them get the Octane. The most workable of the 4.

Snap It if your gonna try one of them get the Octane. The most workable of the 4.

Thanks! Yep, I was still trying to decide if I wanted to step up from my Inertias and Teslas to the 21.5mm drivers. But I think I'll just skip over them to the 23mm's. I liked the sharp wings and what appears to be some dome on the Catalyst, etc(AIM's pics). I'm thinking speed and glide.

I'd probably go Catalyst, Octane, and Nitro...like you did.

Thanks! Yep, I was still trying to decide if I wanted to step up from my Inertias and Teslas to the 21.5mm drivers. But I think I'll just skip over them to the 23mm's. I liked the sharp wings and what appears to be some dome on the Catalyst, etc(AIM's pics). I'm thinking speed and glide.

I'd probably go Catalyst, Octane, and Nitro...like you did.

If you would have told me that I wouldn't mind the 23mm rim on MVP's drivers, I wouldn't have believed you. But they ARE throwable. And if you like that type of wing anyway, and have a decent arm, you'll love the all three of these discs. You are right, they do offer both speed and glide. :thmbup:

If you would have told me that I wouldn't mind the 23mm rim on MVP's drivers, I wouldn't have believed you. But they ARE throwable. And if you like that type of wing anyway, and have a decent arm, you'll love the all three of these discs. You are right, they do offer both speed and glide. :thmbup:

Thanks again for the input. It would be a done deal already, but it means discarding at least a couple other perfectly good MVP drivers. The same 'ol dilemma which I've been trying to get away from for the last couple years. :\

Thanks again for the input. It would be a done deal already, but it means discarding at least a couple other perfectly good MVP drivers. The same 'ol dilemma which I've been trying to get away from for the last couple years. :\

It depends on how far you throw, but I don't see the need to discard the Inertia at all. It can be your hyzer flip to turn disc, wheras the Catalyst can be thrown flatter and have less lateral movement. There might be some overlap with the Tesla, but this class might be for all out distance and the Tesla could be more workhorse.

I don't know. I'm just saying don't mourn your favorites yet. You can just add new ones. :)

Latest posts