• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Catalyst

My catalyst is either oddly OS or protons just run more overstable... but I've driven 500 foot holes with star terns on distance lines that don't come back until the absolute last second and the catalyst fades out well before 450 most of the time. The turn of the catalyst is noticeably more minor than the tern as well, which is odd cause I expected them to be quite similar. Thing still crushes on hyzer flip to minor S curve confident distance shots.

Yea I would try a Neutron, because my 171 N has a super late, very gentle fade.

I didn't realize MVP discs could be this domey. Maybe I got a flukey disc, but my Catalyst has a dome like a Heat. The Catalyst definitely glides like nothing else if I get it to stand up, but it's surprisingly difficult to stop it from hyzering out. It's not a max distance disc for my BH at the moment, but I can forehand it 50 feet further than anything else in my bag if I hit it just right. Basically just give it some height and crank it over on purpose so that it's constantly trying to fight out of that turn through its whole flight, and it glides out past 350' which is a really awesome distance for my forehand. The lift this huge dome seems to produce is crazy.

The higher speed drivers all have intentional dome. It's not a fluke. It will begin to lose its fade and develop high speed turn as it breaks in.

The higher speed drivers all have intentional dome. It's not a fluke. It will begin to lose its fade and develop high speed turn as it breaks in.

Well my Catalyst already has a few months' worth of seasoning, so that's not the issue. I've been working with it a little more in the past week and I think I figured out what I was doing wrong before. The big dome and wide rim just make it a little harder to get the disc properly nose down, and the Catalyst is definitely sensitive to nose angle. Any nose-up angle and the extra lift from the big dome will put the brakes on the forward momentum very quickly.

So after doing a bunch of field work with the disc, I changed my grip a little bit (basically I'm using a 3 finger grip on it now because my pinkie is too short to get a good grip under the rim) and now I'm getting out past 350' with the Catalyst on my backhand throws too.

Just today I threw it and parked a hole where I normally come up 25' short, so I had a tap-in instead of a long putt. It's all about getting the disc to fly right so that its dome is lifting the disc straight up while the leading edge is cutting through the air, and if you get that right then you don't even have to throw the disc all that hard for it to fly really far.

Last edited:
Threw a Catalyst for the first time today. Proton, 169g. Its a boomer. Very domey, very fast, and great glide. Bit of a touchy driver. It likes to flip and not come back. I found that a slight bit of hyzer flip was necessary to keep the Catalyst on the right line.

The disc crushes. On the throws I was able to flex it out properly I'd say I was hitting 450'. Lot of S curve flex going on. The Catalyst seems to be one of those drivers that needs some high speed turn to really max out the distance potential.

The Catalyst does not like headwinds...at all. The few times I tried to throw it through headwinds resulted in hard flips. The Catalyst seems to be more of a downwind or calm conditions driver. Its a big flex bomber though. Similar in flight to the Shryke, but a tick faster.

I'd put the Catalyst in the very upper echelon of pure distance drivers. The thing freaking mashes. Little finicky, but HUUGGEE distance potential.

Catalyst: 14, 5, -3, 1. Not a lot of low speed fade here. Sometimes the Catalyst flips and stays flipped.

Does the Catalyst follow the stability pattern of
Least stable = Plasma
Neutron
Most stable = Proton
?

So is the Catalyst like MVP's Shryke or Sheriff, or is it more US? I'm thinking about getting one in a trade and I usually throw Shrykes about 440' max, and haven't experimented with any Gyro drivers in about 2 years, since my Plasma Tesla and PDGA Inertia.

So is the Catalyst like MVP's Shryke or Sheriff, or is it more US? I'm thinking about getting one in a trade and I usually throw Shrykes about 440' max, and haven't experimented with any Gyro drivers in about 2 years, since my Plasma Tesla and PDGA Inertia.

I would place the Catalyst somewhere between the Sheriff and the Captain, but I don't throw as far as you so YMMV.

I would place the Catalyst somewhere between the Sheriff and the Captain, but I don't throw as far as you so YMMV.

I've never thrown either, but I know the Shryke and Sheriff are very close, so that's why I used that comparison. Do MVP drivers typically hate nose up? My Tesla absolutely hated it, so I wonder if a Catalyst would help me throw nose down.

I've never thrown either, but I know the Shryke and Sheriff are very close, so that's why I used that comparison. Do MVP drivers typically hate nose up? My Tesla absolutely hated it, so I wonder if a Catalyst would help me throw nose down.

The Catalyst definitely flies much more overstable if you throw it nose-up. The dome basically catches air and slows the disc down very quickly if you throw it nose-up, so it acts more overstable and doesn't fly nearly as far. You need to make sure none of the underside of that dome is catching air as the disc is flying through the air, which means you would literally be better off throwing it so that the nose is BELOW the line parallel with the horizon rather than above it. It generates plenty of lift even with an extreme nose-down angle, and it only acts like the understable distance driver you expect it to be if you can get it flying in a proper nose-down position.

The Catalyst definitely flies much more overstable if you throw it nose-up. The dome basically catches air and slows the disc down very quickly if you throw it nose-up, so it acts more overstable and doesn't fly nearly as far. You need to make sure none of the underside of that dome is catching air as the disc is flying through the air, which means you would literally be better off throwing it so that the nose is BELOW the line parallel with the horizon rather than above it. It generates plenty of lift even with an extreme nose-down angle, and it only acts like the understable distance driver you expect it to be if you can get it flying in a proper nose-down position.

So it would be a good trainer for that then? Overmolds seem especially affected, but maybe its just my imagination.

So it would be a good trainer for that then? Overmolds seem especially affected, but maybe its just my imagination.

Well it helped me throw more nose-down, but that's mostly because the Catalyst forced me to adopt a slightly different grip for my drivers, which I ended up using on all my other drivers too. I haven't thrown many overmold drivers to compare the Catalyst to, though. I suppose that could also have an effect on the disc's flight, but I personally just assumed it was a quirk specific to the Catalyst when I was trying to adjust to the specific way the disc needed to be thrown.

I'd say this comparison is apt. The Catalyst is lightning fast, maybe a tick faster than a Shryke. I personally thought the Catalyst had better glide and held a flex line a little longer than a Sheriff.

My best distance throws with the Catalyst and Shryke were within 10' of each other. I'd recommend getting the Catalyst to see what you think. I won't even say I'm a huge fan of those gyro drivers either, but the Catalyst freaking works for big, big distance. I'd equate it to an Octane, but somewhat flippier.

I'll reiterate that the Catalyst is NOT a headwind disc. It seems to do well in calm or downwind conditions, but flips fairly consistently in any sort of headwind.

I had no issues throwing the Catalyst nose up. I don't grip or throw the disc different from any of my other long drivers. Frankly, I think any disc will stall out and die if you throw it nose up. The Catalyst does just fine with a low, slight hyzer release. It'll get flippy at times, but I found it manageable.

Last edited:
I've had my N Catalyst for long enough I think I can judge it. It absolutely bombs, no joke. Tons of glide and really fast. When I first got it it was just stable enough to tolerate some wrist roll over and fly linear before some late turn and late hook up (that "whoa, what a crush" line). That's the same way my Opto Ballista was when new. Also like my Ballista, the Catalyst has gotten less tolerant of OAT and will struggle to pull out of the drift if you're sloppy. it's not flippy, flippy but more like that neutral stable kind of flight. Headwinds will get to it but in calm conditions it's manageable. It's similar to my Plasma Wave with similar dome, just faster and longer.

I've had my N Catalyst for long enough I think I can judge it. It absolutely bombs, no joke. Tons of glide and really fast. When I first got it it was just stable enough to tolerate some wrist roll over and fly linear before some late turn and late hook up (that "whoa, what a crush" line). That's the same way my Opto Ballista was when new. Also like my Ballista, the Catalyst has gotten less tolerant of OAT and will struggle to pull out of the drift if you're sloppy. it's not flippy, flippy but more like that neutral stable kind of flight. Headwinds will get to it but in calm conditions it's manageable. It's similar to my Plasma Wave with similar dome, just faster and longer.

I definitely ended up liking the Catalyst more than the Mayhem or Octane. Mayhem and Octane are both good, but the Catalyst was on another level. Tons of glide and distance.

I agree, very touchy in headwind. I won't call the Catalyst better than a Ballista or Shryke. They're all about equal.

I'm thinking of buying my 1st MvP either catalyst or the relativity anyone have a comment I like high speed under stable drivers like katana and ballista pro.. I get nice turns out of the ballista and heizer flip the katanas

I'm thinking of buying my 1st MvP either catalyst or the relativity anyone have a comment I like high speed under stable drivers like katana and ballista pro.. I get nice turns out of the ballista and heizer flip the katanas

Imo get a Catalyst if you throw under 350ft. If you throw comfortably close to 390ish, get a P Mayhem

Catalyst can have some mean hyzer flips. I ripped a crazy 425 foot tunnel shot, flipped up and rode the flip and just kept going. It is most assuredly understable at that distance: proton catalysts are actually a good bit more stable, I've had P catalysts and less stable Octanes fly very similar lines. If you're looking for a max D disc then I'd recommend a catalyst if you like hyzer flips. Never thrown a mayhem so can't comment there, but I imagine they fly a lot like my proton catalyst.

I throw us discs 425..to 480
.will catalyst be too flippy...I like flip y discs like blizz katana...for downwind

Latest posts