• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] clarify for new discers

They do make non-plus DX XDs. In fact I'm pretty sure the + mold was released only recently. The XD has been around forever.

I've only thrown the plus version though.

The first 200 rounds I threw this year, I didn't even carry a putter, I used my first disc I found, a Star TL. I actually did pretty well with it and was comfortable. Many more experienced players I ended up throwing with gave me a hard time about it, saying "You don't carry a putter, seriously? You gotta have a putter!" So I went to the local disc store, Simple Sports, and asked the owner what he recommended. He only uses DX XDs and said try them out, so I traded some found plastic for 2 170g DX XDs Plus 1 mold putters. It took my about a month of daily 15 minute putting practise sessions to get used to them. I still think I can putt just as good with my TL, but have not been using it for putting. Now that I am working again, thank the Lord, I can start to buy some plastic and might want to try a different putter. Are there any putters designed more like a driving disc, instead of the frisbee style?

The first 200 rounds I threw this year, I didn't even carry a putter, I used my first disc I found, a Star TL.

Are there any putters designed more like a driving disc, instead of the frisbee style?

Response: I felt the same way with my Buzzz SS, I eventually got a putter and used it a ton. Then now I don't feel comfortable putting anything else in the basket unless it's from 200' out. haha

Response: I personally use a Wizard in S plastic for my drives and approaches, and use a RFF Wizard for my putts. There is also the Challenger, and pure. If you want a shallow rimmed putter, I would have to defer to someone else. I know the Ringer is shallower rimmed, but I also don't like it.

The Innova Dart has a bit more of a bevelled edge than most putters. It is straight, and has great glide. The Wedge is also a tweener putter/mid that has a small rim that feels a bit more like a mid.

If you want something overstable, the Pig has a really beefy rim, that is more bevelled as well. I personally think the Pig has the best feeling rim for driving out of al the putters I've tried.

AdmiralQuack, what kind of a grip do you use for your putts? Do you find that gripping the TL causes problems? I use the fan grip with my index finger conforming to the edge of the rim. That's why I prefer beaded putters because it gives my index finger somewhere to grip onto.

So if your shop has mostly Innova, check out the Dart and Wedge. If you want a more traditional putter, any version of the Aviar would be a good choice.

Good luck!

The Innova Dart has a bit more of a bevelled edge than most putters. It is straight, and has great glide. The Wedge is also a tweener putter/mid that has a small rim that feels a bit more like a mid.

If you want something overstable, the Pig has a really beefy rim, that is more bevelled as well. I personally think the Pig has the best feeling rim for driving out of al the putters I've tried.

AdmiralQuack, what kind of a grip do you use for your putts? Do you find that gripping the TL causes problems? I use the fan grip with my index finger conforming to the edge of the rim. That's why I prefer beaded putters because it gives my index finger somewhere to grip onto.

So if your shop has mostly Innova, check out the Dart and Wedge. If you want a more traditional putter, any version of the Aviar would be a good choice.

Good luck!

I lay my index finger along the edge and then traditional grip with other fingers, but I like the feel of traditional putters less than driver style. Because I am still newer at discing, I feel that with a little work, I can more than likely adjust to any of the various grips. I really liked the feel of the TL for putting, but usually paid dearly for long misses. Since I've been using the DX XDs, I find them sticking closer to the basket even if I miss. So, therefore I agree with using a putter, but would prefer a non-beaded putter. Although, if it is recommended that I use a traditional beaded putter to benefit me in the end, that's what I'll stay with.

I agree with using a putter, but would prefer a non-beaded putter. Although, if it is recommended that I use a traditional beaded putter to benefit me in the end, that's what I'll stay with.

Definitely use what you are comfortable with. Whether it's bead, or no bead.

The reason there are SO MANY different putters is that each player needs to find "the one" that they feel they can drain putts with time and time again. Once you find it, you'll be golden.

Definitely use what you are comfortable with. Whether it's bead, or no bead.

The reason there are SO MANY different putters is that each player needs to find "the one" that they feel they can drain putts with time and time again. Once you find it, you'll be golden.

I don't mind the DX XDs too much, other than I would prefer something flying a little more straight. I need to get into a store that carries more than one brand of discs. At this point, I can't justify buying discs online, not knowing what I'm getting. Gotta have hands on. Then, once I find the one, gonna order 10 or so.

If you ever make a trip into the Twin Cities, make sure to hit up Gotta Go Gotta Throw. You'll be amazed at how many different discs and brands can fit in one little shop.

Note: That Big Bird Roc is also known as a Right Facing Roc.
keltik! No, no, no...not you, keltik. The Big Bird is the circle stamp. The right-facing Roc is the barstamp AKA stable mid range driver. C'mon man! Pull it together!

Putting Putters and other parsed putting posts.

Personally, my favorite putters for putting are D Challengers (discraft) and DX Aviars (Innova). I have a beat First Run Pro Aviar that has been one of my most reliable discs for anything I need it to do, but that could just be me throwing that disc for like 8 years :D. As far as a putter to use off the tee, the Ken Climo (KC) Aviar is much stiffer than most plastic you see used for putters which I tend to prefer from the teebox. Everytime I've thrown one, I drool a little bit :p. I don't own one (though I would love to! lol), so I haven't gotten much experience with how it throws.

Ironically, earlier this season I liked using a really floppy R-Pro Rhyno off the tee for a while. I didn't like putting with it at all, supposedly Rhyno's of all plastic types like to grab chains and hold on, but I didn't see that trait in this particular disc. I stopped carrying it for the one or two shots per round I might use it for and eventually traded it away to a buddy. People around here in MI do love their Rhynos, though.

Also, for putting putters, the X Soft Banger GT [groove top] (discraft) is really solid. It has a reasonably deep groove along the top of the flight plate where your thumb typically rests. It give you a tangible pinch point that you can find every single time, and your thumb rolls off the groove nicely on release. Some people love the thumb groove (this guy :D), some people don't.

/end opinionated post.

Latest posts