• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cold play sucks!

billnchristy

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
And playing in the cold sucks too!! :p

It was a balmy 37 at lunch so my infinitely dumb ass decided to go throw 9 in an effin sweater. :doh:

Needless to say it sucked elphantitused elf balls and I found out 3 very important things:

1) I don't like champ/Z plastic in the cold...damnit no 11x Gazelle or Z stalker til spring. :thmbdown:
2) My putting sucks when my hands are numb :eek:
3) Driving a putter sucks too...again need to use my gripline vs zeroline now...odd, but I had the most horrendous grip lock I have ever seen. :(

Now I know, a lot of you have highs in the 30s if you are lucky and me bitching about it is silly and wussily of me but I just don't have crap for winter gear since leaving NY because we never spent enough time outside to give a damn.

Now I need to find comfy, warm stuff to wear while playing 'cause I ain't quitting!!

Lol..yeah last year I played no matter what..this year im hesitant....body temperature hasn't adjusted to this crap yet!! I normally wore a thermal, fleece, and jacket or something wind-resistant and then fleece lined pants (walmart HAD them) and some boots and was good...stick a hand warmer in your throwing hand pocket and there ya go!

stick a hand warmer in your throwing hand pocket and there ya go!

I did but it was a Big Lots 2 fer .70c special. It took me getting the heat kicking in the car AFTERWARDS for it to really get cooking. Now I know, open those puppies on the way there!

I have plans to go out tomorrow, supposed to be about 33 w/ 10-15 mph winds in the NE.

I'm leaning towards an all DX and Star/ESP line up and a SSS Magic myself. Problem I've had with DX is that is gets so stiff, if I hit a tree it bounces off about 50 ft.

At least it's supposed to be dry. Last time I played in 38 and drizzle, I couldn't grip my ESP Wasp to save my life. Like trying to throw a wet bar of soap.

Hmm That sucks cause I like champ and its the first winter I have had champ plastic. Always used DX before and got some Star but havent cared much for it. Going to go tomorrow with a high of 34

Time to break out the FLX!

don't sell yourself short Bill, a high of 37 is cold no matter where you are. some of us might be in the single digits or worse, but that doesn't 37 is something to scoff at.

I have no problem scoffing at 37. I don't play in the cold, but I don't consider 37 to be that bad for disc golf unless it's accompanied by rain or moderate winds. I ususally start with a sweatshirt but end up in a long sleeved T.

Just get good and warmed up ahead of time and keep your throwing hand in your pocket and dry when you aren't throwing.

I haven't played in almost 2 weeks cause of the cold temps. looks like mid 40's monday and tuesday. hopefully can get out at least one of those days

I haven't played in almost 2 weeks cause of the cold temps. looks like mid 40's monday and tuesday. hopefully can get out at least one of those days

That is THE best temp possible for disc. Not cold but cool enough to where you can wear jeans and go into the prickers.

37 really isn't that cold, but i guess it depends on what you are used to. All you need is some gear. I used to play all winter long in Vermont. DG is great in the snow. Snowshoes, one glove, a hand warmer, a fleece vest, and some under armor and I didn't even notice the sub-freezing temps.
P.S. Whatever you do, DON'T wear a cotton t-shirt. If you sweat at all it will stay wet and you will freeze!

Last edited:
its 29 here but ive managed to catch a 9 the past couple days and probably will as well today . i go in a hoodie and blue jeans but im getting some warmer clothes for xmas .hopefully it will warm up some around here :)

37 really isn't that cold, but i guess it depends on what you are used to. All you need is some gear. I used to play all winter long in Vermont. DG is great in the snow. Snowshoes, one glove, a hand warmer, a fleece vest, and some under armor and I didn't even notice the sub-freezing temps.
P.S. Whatever you do, DON'T wear a cotton t-shirt. If you sweat at all it will stay wet and you will freeze!

I think I've been inspired, I think i'll head out this weekend as long as the wind dies down a bit.

Latest posts