• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cold rainy round tips

Ballingerj44

Par Member
I have a tournment this Sunday. The expected conditions are muddy, rainy, and under 60 degrees. How do I stay warm and dry. Just bought a pair of water proof socks, have a rainfly for my bag, and a bunch of towels. Thanks

I have a tournment this Sunday. The expected conditions are muddy, rainy, and under 60 degrees. How do I stay warm and dry. Just bought a pair of water proof socks, have a rainfly for my bag, and a bunch of towels. Thanks

Dress in layers and bring two pairs of socks and shoes.

Attachments

• randy-snow-suit-a-christmas-story-2-383x600.jpg
    randy-snow-suit-a-christmas-story-2-383x600.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 27
One Umbrella, rain jacket, and extra tee shirt or whatever you would typically wear under your rain jacket.
Two pairs of shoes, hopefully waterproof. And if you typically wear a hat I would bring two.
Three pairs of socks, one for each round and the trip home. You can never have too many pairs of dry socks.

You have the rainfly and towels covered already.

My first tip. Practice in the rain. Though it might not apply to this situation now, think through the past year and think of the times you had available to play a quick round of dg, but decided not to because the weather was crappy. If you had gone out instead of watch netflix, you'd be mentally and physically prepared for this USDGC qualifying. Or from now on you'll be prepared. (Same goes for wind/snow/cold/dark - all the times that people are like "ehhh I'd rather not") And really, it's not as bad as you imagine it will be if you're prepared for it well.

Umbrella. I may have been at one point 'too cool' or maybe it was just a laziness thing, but seriously, if you look at the radar before the round, and it looks like rain, an umbrella is key. A big one. The biggest you can find (probably search umbrella on these forums, or browse the internets for one with good reviews, or go to the local golf store, they carry umbrellas for the purpose of playing golf in the rain.

Towels. A couple extra in baggies. I just take an old beach towel and rip it into strips 5" wide or so, cut the strips in half and shove each one into a zip lock bag. A dry towel ever few holes.

Chamois, leather, after using the towels, a leather chamois can add the finishing touch to make you confident in that grip.

Keep your throwing hand dry. Should be obvious, but do all handling of the bag, moving objects off the ground, touching anything that is wet with your off hand. The throwing hand is sacred, the only thing it should touch is a dry disc and the inside of your rain coat.

Rain coat. If you find a decent one that retains mobility, let me know. I have a $400 rain coat, it keeps me dry when it's raining, but damn am I restricted in that thing. I prefer to throw without it unless it's really coming down.

Boots. Ok, most people like to be light on their feet, so, waterproof shoes. But seriously, if it's coming down cats and dogs, everything is wet. If I have a well oiled piece of solid leather on my feet, I am so much more comfortable than a lightweight sopping wet (so not so light any more!) pair of athletic shoes.

Pants. There's probably some good options for lightweight athletic pants that will get wet, but not too uncomfortable. Like say jeans or heavy work pants that get wet and heavy. Or a pair of rain pants that could keep you dry and comfortable. I don't like rain pants if it's warm, but in cooler weather, that's the route I go.

Socks. I don't do the waterproof socks thing, but maybe that's a good answer to the wet shoes thing? I wear smartwool socks, or a medium weight hiking sock and have multiple pairs to change into throughout the day.

Plastic. I don't find it to matter much if I'm prepared and keeping discs dry, though DX type tends to retain a better grip when wet, I don't change my entire bag over.

Last edited:
Yeah zip lock bags and towels. Three towel system, one towel initial wipe, 2nd towel dry off. Separate towel For putting use initial wipe towel and separate towel for right before putt.

Keep different groups of towels in zip locks. The Initial wipe towel can be outside (just ring it out after every wipe).

Discard wet towels in separate zip lock.

You can buy a bag of rags at wallmart or an auto store. Once you get the towel system down you'll have dry discs to throw with on every shot.

ALSO BUY A WATERPROOF SCORECARD. THIS SAVES A TON OF STRESS.

If you're going to carry an umbrella, hanging a towel (or two) from the struts allows you to keep the towel out of the elements without having to deal with going in and out of a ziplock bag, which means it should last you longer before it's totally soaked. Save the ziplocks for the extra towels.

Pack a thermos with your hot beverage of choice for between rounds (coffee, hot chocolate, tea, ect).
And everything else already mentioned

Pack a thermos with your hot beverage of choice for between rounds (coffee, hot chocolate, tea, ect).
And everything else already mentioned

^during the round is good too. I've done this during bitter cold winter rounds, and the entire card appreciates it when I bring out the hot chocolate and a handful of cups midround..

If you're going to carry an umbrella, hanging a towel (or two) from the struts allows you to keep the towel out of the elements without having to deal with going in and out of a ziplock bag, which means it should last you longer before it's totally soaked. Save the ziplocks for the extra towels.

This is my approach. Usually two clipped up there

Bring a couple extra ziplocs for wallet, phone, and scorecard.

One thing I started doing was keeping a small 6 in x 6 in microfiber towel in my right hip pocket. It would stay pretty dry and allow me to dry my fingers pretty well right before throwing.

Going a different route, adjust your expectations. Particularly if you don't play in the rain often (which I assume since you had to ask) just realize there will likely be a few more bad shots than normal. Don't expect that you and everyone else will shoot the same scores you do when it is 70 and sunny. Just laugh it off and move on to your next shot.

hot beverage beyond the first few holes. A decent per heated thermos. (I am fancy and add my warmed thermos water to a 12v heating mug in my van and get it toasty)

Keep moving. Stay off the stool

Stay home unless you already paid! Otherwise all dx plastic.

What, are you afraid of messing up your hair?

To the OP: Go to the tourney so you can beat the weak and then proceed to get your man card punched for the day..

Since this is in the rules forum, the best tip is knowing the rule for casual water. And keep your rulebook in a ziplock also.

I appreciate the tips. I just wanted to see if anyone had tips for a colder round that I had not thought of (never have played a sub 50 rain round) The thermus is deffinatly something never would have though of. But it seems like I have most everything covered. I appreciate all your tips.

I appreciate the tips. I just wanted to see if anyone had tips for a colder round that I had not thought of (never have played a sub 50 rain round) The thermus is deffinatly something never would have though of. But it seems like I have most everything covered. I appreciate all your tips.

Lol where so you live where you never play a sub 50 degree round? Must be nice!

Lol where so you live where you never play a sub 50 degree round? Must be nice!

Michigan. I avoid the rain at all costs basically. Exspecially during the winter/spring season. Should be a fun Sunday. But 1000x of normal or snowy sub 50 rounds.

My favorite tip for just about anything is something my father told me long ago, "Suck it up". But in all seriousness id go practice the day before if its supposed to rain then as well just so you know what to expect.