• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cold weather / Winter discs

would someone mind giving me a range of temps that would classify as "cold weather"?

30's are tee shirt weather as long as you're active.

20's require a hoodie and non-throwing hand glove.

Teens force a coat, winter hat, and handwarmers. <-- This is where I'd start to lose faith in DX.

Single digits: add long underwear, multiple layers, and a gloved throwing hand.

It rarely drops below zero degrees F here (not counting windchill), but at that point you're either dressed properly and fairly immune, dressed improperly and getting frostbite, or staying home.

i will only play down to low 20's high teens, i don't like throwing with more than just long sleeves on my arms...

If I were to rank plastics in cold weather for grip and performance:
1. FLX
2. ESP
3. Elite X
4. Star
5. Pro Line
6. DX
7. Pro D
8. Elite Z
9. Champion

i will only play down to low 20's high teens, i don't like throwing with more than just long sleeves on my arms...

My friends are pussies. They will not play under 55 degrees. I would show them this post, but it won't do any good.:mad:

FLX is flexible in all weather. Star isn't flexible at least not to the extent of FLX plastic. They both are grippy but I would say FLX is more grippy. I would recommend picking up a FLX in the store and playing with it before ordering one blindly. It is a very unique mold that not all are accustom to. You might not be fond of it at first, takes a little getting used. The stuff really flexes, big time.

My friends are pussies. They will not play under 55 degrees. I would show them this post, but it won't do any good.:mad:

LOL my pussy roommate adheres to the 55 degree mark. I had to bribe him to play one day that was 50 degrees. I don't get it. He thinks he will get sick playing outside in the cold. I keep telling him its better to be outside, cause people get sick from staying inside together and swapping germs. Hes been sick the past few weeks and I keep telling him to see a doc to get some antibiotics cause its a sinus infection and strep throat! He finally got some antibiotics the other day and is better now. Some people never learn.

we have several guys that won't go out if its under 50 or so...i think some because your drives are severely affected (distance-wise) by cold air vs. warm air...for example, we have an open hole here at freeman where there are four trees that line the right side of the fairway, first tree is about 280', second is about 310', third is about 360', and fourth is about 400'...the past few times i played, was good to get to the second tree...today was about 20 degrees warmer (low-mid 50's) and i bombed one about 20 feet past the fourth tree...i never realized how much temperature affects distance until today...i guess seeing back-to-back results with dramatic temp differences in a weeks time allows you to see the difference much more clearly...

who cares is your drives are slightly shorter in the cold. Its much harder to play in 20+mph wind in the summer. Wearing extra clothes also accounts for shorter drives because it limits range of motion.

The temperature thing is a matter of what you're accustomed to. 30-degree weather is definitely NOT tee shirt weather for Southerners, though I could see how it might be for people from the upper Midwest. If I go out in 30-degree weather, I'm at least wearing a thick flannel shirt and a hat, and if there's any wind at all, I'll need a coat.

I agree, though, that we shouldn't be bothered by shorter drives in the winter. It makes the courses play longer, and therefore more challenging. :)

forehand

Ive been doing snow golfing and i have figured that forehand drives work the best because you don't need the leg power. I normally use a star teerex for my forehand drives. The pro plastic is also pretty grippy and durable enough for winter and cold conditions

I pretty much throw the same discs year round, Star, Champ, & Z. As long as you can dry them off & keep your hands semi moist & warm you should be fine. Essential cold weather golf gear = Shammy & hot packs for your pockets/gloves. The hot packs are good for turning any snow or moisture on your hand into a positive. warm & moist (not wet) hands are key to good grip in cold weather golf. And if it's snowing while your playing keep an umbrella over your bag. A shammy works great on snow just as it does with rain, ring it out & keep on throwin. Goto a auto or discount store & get one, innova's are overpriced (unless your lucky enough to win or get one in a player pack :) )

i think it is the type of throw that makes the difference playing the winter. I primarily throw backhand, but i discovered that forehand works better in the winter. you don't need to do all the footwork in the snow and ice.

Best winter plastic?

Well as some of you may know, it is officially winter in Minnesota, which means winter disc golf season is upon us. I just started playing this summer, and went out yesterday after the first "snow" of the season and found that discs do funny **** when its cold. So can anyone with more experience offer some advice to which plastics are the best/most consistant in the cold conditions?

Easy. Discraft flx. Discraft is made in Michigan and we are no stranger to snow. Flx was designed to retain grip when wet and flex a bit so they don't get so stiff. Though it's advertised, I wouldn't suggest bending em in half.

Dont use KC pro stuff or any off the old San Marino or Ontario plastic. I have busted my share of old rocs during winter months. For the first time ever I saw a CE disc break last winter. A buddy of mine threw his 01 Roc into a tree about 250 down the fairway and it split justlike a piece of dx plastic. The most expensive tree I have ever seen costing him a couple hundred bucks

its about to be snow time in utah and have wondered the same thing about plastics in winter. I've hear any star/esp should be fine and flx esp too. heard dx gets stiff and one guy said he's broken in half just hittin on leg to clear snow off.

will keep reading to see what others with more experience say. love discin all year long

Softer discs for colder weather is the typical advice...FLX is probably the top choice in that respect. I would recommend it purely for a better grip though. Besides being more stiff, I don't usually see too much of a difference in colder weather.

I live in Minnesota as well, and let me recommend FLX plastic wholeheartedly. I was actually out today in mid 30 degree weather practicing drives in a field. My Z drivers felt like they were made of stone, couldn't grip them well as I wanted to. However, my FLX drivers felt amazing, I could really dig my thumb into the flight plate to get a good grip. Elite X plastic feels decent too in the winter, however, it is nowhere near as durable.

I wish they made more discs available in FLX. Luckily, 5 out of 8 of the different molds I carry are available in FLX.

Flx is by far the best. Innova Champion is by far the worst. I was out practicing in Minnesota today also, I was Lightning pro plastic and Innova pro plastic are also not bad.

Latest posts