• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cold weather / Winter discs

what about r-pro? i don't have any drivers in that plastic yet but i've got an aviar - any experience with how it reacts to the chains in cold weather?

DGa proline is good, flx is great, avoid crystal because the edges will saw your fingers up, R-pro and elite x are suitable, i feel like Z and champion might break if it gets too cold.... kaposia was beautiful on saturday morning, it was like playing in heaven only colder!

oh yeah my quarterKII nailed a couple of trees with 350 feet of power behind it and it didn't even get a nick, that plastic is awesome! my Snap whitler was a great putter for the temperature as well...

FLX is sweet. Star and ESP not to bad. Champ and Z does get real hard and slippery. During winter play I have got into the habit of dropping my discs inside my jacket when Im waiting on the tee, or on my walk to my drive. Warms them up a lil feels alot nicer on the hands. :)

No mention of Latitude 64's Opto line yet? Its made in Sweden, and it gets cold there! Personally I live in TX but I've heard good things about L64 in the cold.

Easy. Discraft flx. Discraft is made in Michigan and we are no stranger to snow. Flx was designed to retain grip when wet and flex a bit so they don't get so stiff. Though it's advertised, I wouldn't suggest bending em in half.
I'd have to say he's right, but I also like Elite-X because in terms of grippiness and flexibility, followed by Star/ESP plastic.

R-Pro should be good.
Never thrown R-Pro, but seems like it would also be a good choice.

I would stay away from Innova Pro for truly cold weather, as well as Champion and Elite-Z.

I'm not trying to push a Discraft vs. Innova thing:
although Discraft Elite-X and Innova Pro are both mid-line plastic and supposed to be similar in terms of durability, I just find their feel to be very different from each other.

On the other hand, most other parings of similar Innova/Discraft plastics (i.e. DX/Pro-D, Champion/Elite-Z, Star/ESP), feel prety much the same, with some subtle differences here and there.

Last edited:
From why I tried today the Pro plastic does good. The R-Pro actually does better than usual.

The Z plastic needs to be played around with and get moving before you can really control it.

Champion plastic is pretty much the same as Z.

\/\/

Latest posts