• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Collegiate Championships

In discussion with a staffer from one of the Baptist universities represented, he indicated, "I really like how this Collegiate Championship has evolved." I asked if using that term was allowed. We decided that he really liked Pete May's "intelligent design" improvements over the last six years...

CSU = Colorado State
CSUMB (Cal State U at Monterrey Bay) was also played well but didn't win.

I played on the Illinois team, we definitely did not play up to our potential :-( (The woods kicked my butt!). We made it our goal a year ago to just get there and we did. I wish we would have played better, but I would not trade the experience and memories for anything. It really was an amazing time, you cannot beat 3 (4 for some) straight days of disc golf in the South Carolina sun when you should really be in class.

Also, Jared from UAH did not throw very well in the distance finals. He bombed in the qualifying but didn't get it done in the finals. I believe his teammate Seth from UAH ended up winning the distance competition and he has only been playing for 7 months :eek:. I never heard the final measurement though.

I do agree with those who mentioned there needs to be a tighter check-in process and the players need to produce some proof of enrollment. I was not once ask over the four days for any proof of enrollment, identification, or PDGA membership.

Overall, though it was a highly enjoyable event and hopefully the committee makes strides in tightening things down for the future. Congrats to Colorado State and Jared for the individual and team victory!

The general approach for the first several years of the NCDGC has been encouraging participation to build the size of the event. As it gets closer to a max field of 80 teams, I'm sure they'll start tightening up the qualifications and checking credentials more than they have so far.

I see a lot of haters out there going against my CSU boys. Don't be mad because they kicked ya'lls asses, just respect the fact that we can play in Colorado. Big ups to my boy Lugo, one of the best FH players you'll ever see.

Technically, these people aren't college athletes. College athletes are students who participate in an NCAA affiliated sport. College disc golf is not affiliated in any way with the NCAA, along with the various other club sports at schools such as ultimate, rugby, lacrosse, etc. There are multiple college ultimate players who have individual sponsors as well as disc golfers. I think it is fine for the NCDGC to allow players who aren't on tour, but staying dedicated to school the chance to play.

Speaking on registration and verifying credentials, we did not attend the NCDGC, but we did attend the Alabama Slammer which was a qualifier. We were checked extensively for proof we attended the university we were representing.

Hope everyone enjoyed this year. Congrats to CSU and MSU on their National Championships.

I will say agree with codyroberts18, the credentials are checked pretty well. Lugo had registar and start going to CSU so he could play, which for him was great because it got him in college. Say what you want about pro's playing, but the real benifit here is getting people involved in educating themselves, and bettering their future. The teacher rant is over.

to bergdawg: Bring it on Donkey Kong

I will say agree with codyroberts18, the credentials are checked pretty well. Lugo had registar and start going to CSU so he could play, which for him was great because it got him in college. Say what you want about pro's playing, but the real benifit here is getting people involved in educating themselves, and bettering their future. The teacher rant is over.

Lulz, I'll be happy to play you anytime you're in Upstate South Cack.

How far is that from Boone, NC. That's where my sister lives right now. Wanting to play some of the Charlotte course that they'll be using at world's this year.

Lugo is a great guy, I got a chance to speak with him a little this weekend. I love how he putts with an upside down driver. His approach to the game is so simple and so effective and he is such a chill guy.

I can assure you though, unless they did it discreetly, they did not check any credentials. I agree with Chuck that right now its probably better to have as many teams and players as possible and when and if the event can fully fill they will start tightening down on checking people's credentials. I am jealous of those who are still in school and able to play again next year. I am a senior and will be graduating. I am trying to figure out a way to take some more classes or something so I can play again next year.

I don't know how I feel about pro's playing, but that's not really my decision. I can tell you though that CSU was extremely stellar this weekend and regardless of the title of being a "pro" or not they still had to execute high level golf to win this thing and there is no doubt they did that.

Lugo is a great guy, I got a chance to speak with him a little this weekend. I love how he putts with an upside down driver. His approach to the game is so simple and so effective and he is such a chill guy.

Lugo is a super chill guy, it's always a pleasant round when you get to play with him. He's been trying to work on some regular putts, but I'll tell you in the wind, the upside down driver putter is amazing. The only thing that kills me about it, is how long it takes him to line up and shoot, but when he hits huge birdies I guess you let it go.

Also, Jared from UAH did not throw very well in the distance finals. He bombed in the qualifying but didn't get it done in the finals. I believe his teammate Seth from UAH ended up winning the distance competition and he has only been playing for 7 months :eek:. I never heard the final measurement though.

Chris Becker of Oregon won the distance competition.

Latest posts