• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Colossus

Perhaps, I foolishly bought three gstar protos. I'm hoping this disc breaks the new distance record and the protos become collectors. Who knows?

But after field testing a proto and regular production for almost two weeks now I have doubts.

The disc is a great mold, goes far is longer than a destroyer but a boss I don't know.

I wouldn't consider the rim any easier to grip than any other 13/14 disc.

They're about like a tern or katana, I think the katana is faster. The disc it reminds me of is the king.

They have some at PAIS and they are very King like, pity about the G* though. Would have bought a champ.

Anyone try out a Champion Colossus? I noticed a bunch of them on Infinite for $20 each. All the other plastics are uninteresting to me.

Where I played today was wildly windy, but I got to throw the colossus a couple times no wind. Held up to a king its hard to notice any differences without putting them on a table for a side by side comparison. My main driver is the wraith and for reference I typically on average drive between 345'-375' accurately and with a king or other similar high speed US drivers can push into the 400s but sacrifice accuracy. Anyway, I purchased the Colossus because I really liked the feel. For weaker arms it'll be a good extra distance/cover your form mistakes driver. I strictly threw it with slight to moderate hyzer and was genuinely surprised with the easy distance I was getting compared to effort. It is a king with more stability, if ever slightly. I can only imagine how good this disc might be in a more stable plastic like champion as any disc I've ever owned in G* has been less stable out of the box when compared to other plastics from Innova. Into a headwind, tailwind, no wind, every time I threw it, it would hyzer to flat and then just go. Not only that. but I was throwing it with lower effort. If I put more snap and more hyzer on it, I could probably get it to fly further. Genuinely impressed with this mold

Yeah Josh a bunch of people around bought Gstar colussus because they love them some good speed 14 marketing. "It's faster than a boss" lol! I bet they think it'll help someone break the distance record lol. I've got to throw them a bunch of times now and they're great. Great grippy plastic, super easy to throw straight and far. Same thing as a king...not particularly different at all. I used to love my king, now I love my crank. All the cranks I've had are somewhat less understable than a colussus, king, or havoc...but it's not particularly significant. They're all the same.

I used to love my king, now I love my crank. All the cranks I've had are somewhat less understable than a colussus, king, or havoc...but it's not particularly significant. They're all the same.
That's interesting because I won a max weight z crank at a tourney and it was super OS. Made me assume they all were. Either way I'm looking forward to this disc in a stock champ release

Maybe I was throwing the wrong King but I've owned maybe 5 or 6 max wt and they were all way more understable than the max wt Colossus I have. I could never get a full power rip on a King without it turning over even when I gave it a lot of height but the Colossus I have takes it all and will just slightly track right before finishing left. I have a lighter weight Colossus as well and it's definitely more understable than the max wt but I still feel its more stable than a max wt King.

I have a lighter weight Colossus as well and it's definitely more understable than the max wt but I still feel its more stable than a max wt King.

I agree. I don't know if I caused confusion, but my point was side by side and even maybe in terms of feel the king and colossus look dead similar, but it is more stable than the king. Like I said, slight hyzer and it flips flat and rides forever

Watched a 980 rated player crush a Colossus, then watched an 880 rated player throw a Valk...... Both achieved the same distance..... Less than impressed. I think speed ratings are a bit ridiculous honestly

Watched a 980 rated player crush a Colossus, then watched an 880 rated player throw a Valk...... Both achieved the same distance..... Less than impressed. I think speed ratings are a bit ridiculous honestly

There are many upsides to throwing faster discs and topping that list is they are much better in the wind and they are also more consistent. For the average player it's much easier to get a smaller rim width disc (8 or 9 speed) up to its intended speed and therefore will go farther for them. If you have enough arm speed for a faster disc it will definitely gain more distance. My guess is the 980 rated player doesn't have the arm speed to maximize the Colossus's potential but in using it will get there in a much more consistent fashion. You're definitely entitled to your opinion about speed ratings but they have a direct correlation to rim width and how fast they fly. It's just a matter of being able to throw hard enough to maximize what that speed disc is capable of.

I'd guess neither person crushed it?

Valks do fly stupidly far though.

Bingo. Either that or one of the two players is an anomaly in their rating class. Most 980 rated players that I know of can throw 450+ whereas most 880 rated players throw about 350-375. So I'd say you've probably got the combination of an unusually long-throwing 880 rated player (say 400 with a Valk which is completely possible) and an unusually short-throwing 980 rated player (400 with a Colossus) which leaves you with this result.

That's absolutely true, but I see it often. Wasn't the Valkyrie the distance record holder for years until the blizzard boss took its spot? I know the comparison has a lot of variables, but I just think too much focus is put on speed in relation to distance.

I think speed ratings are a bit ridiculous honestly
Agreed. I can S&D a World (speed 14) about 370' max and a Panther (speed 5) about 310' max. That means (for me?) each speed level is worth about 7'? Silly. My variance(s) among any 1 disc can easily be 30' in itself. "Speed ratings" are only relative at best.

That's absolutely true, but I see it often. Wasn't the Valkyrie the distance record holder for years until the blizzard boss took its spot? I know the comparison has a lot of variables, but I just think too much focus is put on speed in relation to distance.

Oh yes completely agreed there. It was more the 880 rated player and 980 rated players throwing the same distance that threw me off, not the disc speeds. I imagine most 980 rated players could throw a Valkyrie out to 430-440 easily, which most 880 players could not.

Speed ratings are way overemphasized for sure. However, I will say that I think disc speed choice for a shot is often less about the distance and more about the line you want to hit at that distance. You might be able to throw Valks and Destroyers the same distance, but not the same distance on the same lines in the same wind conditions. Destroyers are going to get there more consistently in more wind conditions on tighter lines than Valks.

Karl said:
Agreed. I can S&D a World (speed 14) about 370' max and a Panther (speed 5) about 310' max. That means (for me?) each speed level is worth about 7'? Silly. My variance(s) among any 1 disc can easily be 30' in itself. "Speed ratings" are only relative at best.

Yep, true enough. This is why most advanced to pro level players have big speed gaps in their bags (speed 2, speed 5, speed 9, speed 12 or whatever). Most people don't bag every speed of disc for precisely the reason you stated. The extra 10 feet or whatever is within the tolerance of your own variance in throwing anyway. However, as I said above, it's not just about how far you can throw, but what line you want to hit. If you want to throw 310 feet with a low ceiling and a hard left finish (RHBH), you're not going to throw that Panther. You're going to probably throw a fairway driver or faster. Raw distance often doesn't tell the whole story.

For me it's as I said, about easy distance. I can get a teebird as far as my wraiths, but it takes a lot more effort and manipulation of the line to do so. I liked the feel of the colossus in my hand, I assumed because of its speed combined with its intended flight characteristics it'd be easy distance and on a hole due to the design of it, I am only able usually to get a wraith to about 350, where as this disc, with little effort, pushed close to 400 and I was able to do it with less effort. For me, I like discs that allow me to achieve the easiest/best shot(don't everyone) with minimal effort and I do foresee this disc doing it and did do it multiple times

I have a favorite camping spot up in the mountains that sits on the edge of a big meadow with a old pine tree about 600 feet down in the meadow. I usually take 5 or 6 high speed drivers with me to practice trying to hit the tree. 12&13 speed. One day I decided to take my 9&10 speeds with me to see how close I could get to the tree with slower drivers, and surprisingly enough I couldn't get nearly as close as my faster drivers. Didn't mater how I tried to throw they just could not get there. So people may be able to throw their slower drivers as far as their high speed stuff but I know I can't.:(