• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Columbus, Ga. finally gets it's first course!

Jody, I'm from Columbus, but have lived in Florida for a long time. My son Ben is an avid player and is excited about having a good course to play when he visits grandma. I know Flat Rock, and I don't guess you could have found a better place to build. Is the course finished?

PS: Are you related in any way to my classmate Barry?

I don't have any relatives named Barry, as far as I know but it's possible.

It's nearing completion. All the fairways got mowed and cleaned up last week, all 18 concrete pads are down, the baskets are not in the ground at the park yet. That will be the absolute last thing to go in. Nex-T and mando signs are going up one day this week. The signs for each hole/par/distance are being worked on as I type this.

The City Manager is shooting for a labor day weekend ribbon cutting and grand opening but we'll be able to play it before then.

I haven't had many updates the last few days because of the heat. They aren't letting the city workers do anything at the park until it cools down some. That's their call, not ours so we just have to tough it out and wait.

:)

Just got the official word from the head honcho in charge here. The baskets are going in next Monday the 9th.

Boom Shakalaka!!!

Can't wait. I'll deffinetely come hit that course up, it looks sweet. From the pictures it looks like you did an outstanding job. I will shoot you a pm when I'm heading down there one weekend. You plan on starting a league there eventually?

Can't wait. I'll deffinetely come hit that course up, it looks sweet. From the pictures it looks like you did an outstanding job. I will shoot you a pm when I'm heading down there one weekend. You plan on starting a league there eventually?

If you use Facebook, look me up and add me, I have pics of all 18 holes. Some may look thick with undergrowth and all, but I haven't gotten the updated pics of it since it's been cleaned out. May have new pics this week.

Everything is on schedule and the sign maker should have all the hole signs done soon too.

We've been working on our club too, which will be called N-Discguys but right now we've been so focused on getting the course up and running, it's hard to get everyone to sit down and handle club matters.

:)

Last edited:
i looked for you on facebook. The only jody mitchell that comes up is in phenix city... is that you?

Ahhhhhhh I can not tell you how excited i am about this. I go to Columbus State University and have done all the asking i can about a park going in around lake bottom. haha Flat rock is a great park let me know if you need any help with anything. After this park becomes set. I will be a frequent visitor. Contact me on here and i can give you other contact info if you need any more local help.

Hey, I looked for you on Facebook but I could only find a joni mitchell in phenix city. So are the baskets still set to go in today? Im excited. Hope to be able to play out there soon. (Especially in the cooler weather)

I went by there yesterday 8/9 and there was 0 difference from when I went by there a few weeks ago. No baskets or signage up. Hopefully it will happen soon enough but I know when you have the government in charge, you just hope for the best.

Update:

We just locked 16 baskets in, the other 2 were damaged during shipping and will be in the ground the middle of next week. This weekend, there's going to be a big group of us out there playing, we're using 2 portable discatcher sports on #8 and #15 until the baskets arrive. They're being shipped to my house, so as soon as they come in, they're going straight to the course.

Also, there's no signage for each hole for the weekend, I'll know more about that Monday when my wife is back on the phone with parks & rec.

Anyways, for those waiting to hear some good news, here it is. Come out anytime tomorrow or Sunday and the course will be fully playable minus signage. We do have all the mando and next tee signs up so if you want to try and find your way, it's pretty easy and the course leads itself but ask any one of us out there and we'll guide you through, you'll be able to memorize the lay-out after 1-2 rounds.

The footages are pretty much the same as earlier in this thread, plus or minus 10-20 ft. on some but write down the footage I gave earlier for reference until we get the actual signs in the ground by the tees.

For those wanting to know where hole #1 is, when you come in the park, follow the road around Friendship Hall, then past a long row of picnic tables, that will be hole #1's fairway to the left. Go on around that curve by the creek, you'll see the first teepad on the left with a basket up the hill, then you'll come to a huge open parking area with a rocky cliff. From there, the next tee signs will guide you. We'll be there if you have any questions, just look for the biggest group of players and 100% it'll be us.

Thanks!

By the way, this isn't the official ribbon cutting ceremony, it's just playable but all the course info, ready to be rated stuff will be done by Labor Day weekend. If you do play it now, critique just the lay-out because signage and the other small things will be done by the Grand Opening.

At this point I think the only thing we're waiting for are the signs,the course is out there and ready to be played,i've played it 5 times or so already,and it's really nice to have a local course,especially for someone who's just starting haha.

The hole by hole signs should be in before the end of the week, just waiting on public services to call me to meet out there. Other than that, Connor is correct although there's still a mando sign missing for hole #8 (bike trail) but it's not a problem at the moment and a few dead trees/limbs to remove.

Course has been added to the directory here and I'll update it in the next few days with pics and more info.

I'm working on scorecards and course rules/OB/hole names, etc.

Also, for any of the people I haven't met in this thread that have played the course, I'm open to suggestions so either PM me here or I'll meet you out there.

Was at Flat Rock today and noticed the new course. Cant wait to get out and give it a try. Been awhile since I play disc golf, but to my surprise I am really excited about giving the course a go. Maybe one afternoon this week. Thanks for all the effort that went into making this happen.

Latest posts