• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

So is the Comet truly that great? I've been raiding a few of the guys garages but no one has one... I've been thinking about getting one since it seems to be the diagnostic tool of choice but I've got a lot of discs kicking around: Panther, Meteor, Coyote (I can't stand), Glide, Skeeter, Impact, Glowfly, Blunt Driver...

Is anything similar enough or is the Comet something that should be on my next order? Should I wait for another ESP run since DX has a short lifespan here and it sounds like the Z is too stable?

So is the Comet truly that great? I've been raiding a few of the guys garages but no one has one... I've been thinking about getting one since it seems to be the diagnostic tool of choice but I've got a lot of discs kicking around: Panther, Meteor, Coyote (I can't stand), Glide, Skeeter, Impact, Glowfly, Blunt Driver...

Is anything similar enough or is the Comet something that should be on my next order? Should I wait for another ESP run since DX has a short lifespan here and it sounds like the Z is too stable?

The Comet is great as long as your priorities match up with its strengths. Read my review for Comet strengths and weaknesses then make you own decision about whether you need one or not. You mentioned getting one for a diagnostic tool. IMO there is no better disc for this purpose.

The Comet is really one of those unique discs for which there is no equivalent.

There are no further runs of ESP Comets scheduled. Good luck finding a DX Comet (Pro-D). Elite X is the way to go. Buy an Elite X at the same weight as your favorite midrange and you should be set.

After re-reading my previous post, I think I should clarify something.
I said Elite X is the way to go... I was referring to the diagnostic tool characteristics of the Comet. It is more sensitive in Elite X than Z and it should reveal more than an ESP or Z Comet.

Sorry if I mislead you.

No, the Z Comet shouldn't be "too stable" for 90% of all DGers who want to use it as their general purpose midrange.

Cool thanks a bunch... I was thinking purely as a diagnostic tool but I wouldn't mind having it last a while so I'll order one up in Z a little lighter than usual (174) maybe 170 ish .. I'm pretty happy with a Glide, Skeeter or Impact... but who knows I haven't tried the Comet yet and if it takes audible snap to make it work I'm very in on that.

Got a 174 Z Comet in the mail today, kinda curious how I'd make out with it..... I'm havin trouble getting it over 180' in the yard, as long as I don't muscle it it can sure go straight. It makes amazing anhyzer turns that come back just a touch more stability than the Glide. Just pulled it out to putt in the yard and I hit a couple elevated putts off the deck in a row from 35', 45' another on flat from 50', three in a row better than I could do with a putter!

It's probably too heavy to purify my throw properly but it could be one of the most amazing midranges to play with, thanks a lot for the heads up on it, I usually avoid wide rim discs. The rim and flight remind me of a Magnet. I'm definetely feelin the Comet Love... but give me a week I love anything shiny.

I nearly bought one today, a Z Comet. But they're so domey! My tiny hands just balk over gripping these things. :mad:

I didn't figure I needed the Comet hubby bought me as I have a 150 Class Z Storm which is also rated as a "0".

Instead, the Comet and Stratus have been the surprise purchases of late....I love, love, love them both and though the Comet should act like the Storm and the Stratus should act like a Stingray, I'm finding them both to be very unique discs that are just perfect for my throwing style. The Comet just goes and goes and goes - dead straight.

Sounds like its you more than the disc... go out and use either a putter or Comet only to get your form back in check. I know plenty of power throwers who use this disc without any problems.

started using this disc again. worked on my form and it's still not my number 1 mid but it does serve its purpose

Just threw a 178g Z Comet in the bag today. I like if for shots I have to throw flat and have a right finish (RHBH). I used to throw a 180g Star Coyote for those shots, but I had to force the disc too much, and if I threw it too soft then it would flex out early. With the Comet i dont have to worry about the disc flexing out at the end. So they both still have a place in my bag at the moment.

Hey I posted this in another thread but in attempt to spread some Comet Love...

I got a 174 Z Comet last Tuesday, hit some crazy 50' putts in the yard right off the hop and it took over the understable mid slot in my bag beside the Buzzzz twins by Sunday doubles. Parked two tough uphill straight tunnel shots, (usually Avenger SS or XL) nailed a short steep uphill for a CTP ($7.50) where fade means par, and used it for 40% of my short approaches. Scared anything within 200', kicked the Impact (163g light I know) to the curb, shelved the Skeeter and the Glide. It has answered every one of my individual complaints for each disc.

That being said it feels like a Roc wide and domey, with a sharpish lip kinda like a Magnet, but it flies like a Magic but much farther, I passed on gettin some Comet love before because of the feel. It also flies slow and that can make annhyzer turns a little too fast.

Who thought I'd pass the Comet test? LOL I know right? It's even in the bag for a real Tourney this Sunday...

I should have said too I took first with my partner, -15 /18 and the Comet parks were crucial, so was his putt on #14. Ironically I got partnered with the guy I showed up to shut down, he's on a 4wk streak now and infringing on my 6wk record.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
So I messed around with the 176 Z Comet over the weekend.

Its a little strange as it seems to fly straight and then FADE right. Im talking fade as it wasnt turning through the air, just at the end it had what appeared to be a reverse fade.

Normal or form flaw?

Its a little strange as it seems to fly straight and then FADE right. Im talking fade as it wasnt turning through the air, just at the end it had what appeared to be a reverse fade.

I've put some in my practice bag for form/release work and have seen the same thing.

Normal or form flaw?

Good question. I've gotten them to fade right and I've also gotten them to turn and then fade back a touch, like a new Roc does. If I could learn to control it, it could be a beautiful thing.

I find it an odd disc that I probably am not throwing in a round where Im trying for my PB, but definately is fun to take on rounds of its own.

A new 176 Z comet should fade normally. If it is turning right at the end a little you form is just a little off but not by much. Probably has something to do with your arm, either slow it down or use less arm and more wrist to snap it off at the end.

I dont know if it is new but it is in really good shape when I found it, so I will see if I can use a little less arm.

Thanks

Well it will have to beat up pretty good to have that late fade to it. My main Z comet is 177 and been getting good use for 3-4 months now and still fades at the end.

I have two comets in the bag, an X and a Z. I also have two more Z Comets in the trunk as back ups. I throw the Z comet more than any other disc in my bag.

Latest posts