• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Boy that first run is sweet.. :D
Don't throw it when it's cold!
picture.php

Oh man, I love my elite X's but I couldn'tbear that heartbreak.. Spring and summer only, maybe a little fall.

Ouch man.

oooo that hurts my soul...

This is upsetting, sorry for your loss.

My discs look more childish than yours. I got a fresh few generic Z Comets for fieldwork and one for the course.

I am now sporting this rediculously fabulous (or fabulously rediculous) War Elephant. Can't wait to go scrape the beautiful sheen off of it in the woods.

ZFnHtP7.jpg

How are the new '22 MJs flying?
I don't know, man...I threw one back to back with an '18 MJ because that seems to be the discs it reminded other people of. It was similar stability-wise but my throws with the '22 were consistently shorter than my throws with the '18. That was prolly user error (I was having problems getting a comfortable grip with it for some reason) but I don't have a ringing endorsement to give.

I don't know, man...I threw one back to back with an '18 MJ because that seems to be the discs it reminded other people of. It was similar stability-wise but my throws with the '22 were consistently shorter than my throws with the '18. That was prolly user error (I was having problems getting a comfortable grip with it for some reason) but I don't have a ringing endorsement to give.

So...if you take a look at the nose of the new 22's versus the 18's, it seems a smidge bulkier in my opinion. And that's what I'm thinking is contributing to the shorter flight for the '22's.

S3sOgin.jpg

Are these the '22 MJs you're talking about? Just got this one from Infinite, to see if I can wrangle max weight ESP after some tree love, since apparently light weight Comets no longer exist in this timeline (this really is the worst timeline)... This thing is so flat, but it feels good in the hand. I thought my Big Z one was flat (and it is, compared to my LE ESP and 1st gen Z ones), but this is like FLAT flat. Interestingly, it's smaller below the parting line, as well (though not by much).

Won't get a chance to throw it until tomorrow. Any ideas what I should expect from it? Are modern flat ESP Comets just as flippy as the LE ones were?

S3sOgin.jpg

Are these the '22 MJs you're talking about? Just got this one from Infinite, to see if I can wrangle max weight ESP after some tree love, since apparently light weight Comets no longer exist in this timeline (this really is the worst timeline)... This thing is so flat, but it feels good in the hand. I thought my Big Z one was flat (and it is, compared to my LE ESP and 1st gen Z ones), but this is like FLAT flat. Interestingly, it's smaller below the parting line, as well (though not by much).

Won't get a chance to throw it until tomorrow. Any ideas what I should expect from it? Are modern flat ESP Comets just as flippy as the LE ones were?
Yeah, that's it. It's...I mean...so...they purdy, ain't they? Just remember that when you hate how it flies. :(

S3sOgin.jpg

Please do report back. I'm not as much an aficionado as you folk, but I seem to be partial to some of the big Zs on the flatter side that are still fairly stable-neutral and fly almost like fairway drivers, or the slightly domier Zs that are nice and lofty. Still haven't tried an ESP of any run. I really miss the MJ tour series I lost last year, too.

Please do report back. I'm not as much an aficionado as you folk, but I seem to be partial to some of the big Zs on the flatter side that are still fairly stable-neutral and fly almost like fairway drivers, or the slightly domier Zs that are nice and lofty. Still haven't tried an ESP of any run. I really miss the MJ tour series I lost last year, too.

My Big Z is definitely the most overstable Comet I've got. The domey Zs are my workhorses. My light weight ESP one is one of my favorites, but it's seasoned enough that when it turns, it doesn't fight back. I'm hopeful this new one will be very nice once it gets a few tree hits in...

My Big Z is definitely the most overstable Comet I've got. The domey Zs are my workhorses. My light weight ESP one is one of my favorites, but it's seasoned enough that when it turns, it doesn't fight back. I'm hopeful this new one will be very nice once it gets a few tree hits in...

Cool, will be interested to hear!

Threw this AM - that Infinite Discs War Elephant instantly became my favorite Comet (not just because of the bling). It turned out to be one of those slightly flatter fairway driver-like Comets I can throw hard on a hyzerflip. It was eating up 330' no problem with a little flip and not much turn. Not quite as good as the MJ I lost but *chef's kiss*.

The two Big Z's I just got are noticeably domier and they are somehow definitely more overstable. They're ugly gray and I wasn't going to bag them since they were going to be fieldwork discs, but now I might need to because I liked the grip and flight. So I'm a happy camper with a Comet spread from slightly OS to US for the first time.

Threw this AM - that Infinite Discs War Elephant instantly became my favorite Comet (not just because of the bling). It turned out to be one of those slightly flatter fairway driver-like Comets I can throw hard on a hyzerflip. It was eating up 330' no problem with a little flip and not much turn. Not quite as good as the MJ I lost but *chef's kiss*.

The two Big Z's I just got are noticeably domier and they are somehow definitely more overstable. They're ugly gray and I wasn't going to bag them since they were going to be fieldwork discs, but now I might need to because I liked the grip and flight. So I'm a happy camper with a Comet spread from slightly OS to US for the first time.
My daughter throws Comets; as a 22-year-old Rec player she is mystified by my soliloquies on the nuances of Comets. She says there are no bad Comets, but there are great Comets. Because there are great Comets, we bitch and moan when our Comets are simply good. They are good, though. If you bag them, there is a use for them. They might not be your go-to, holy grail, be-all-end-all Comet above all other Comets, but you can use 'em. They aren't bad. We are just spoiled.

My daughter throws Comets; as a 22-year-old Rec player she is mystified by my soliloquies on the nuances of Comets. She says there are no bad Comets, but there are great Comets. Because there are great Comets, we bitch and moan when our Comets are simply good. They are good, though. If you bag them, there is a use for them. They might not be your go-to, holy grail, be-all-end-all Comet above all other Comets, but you can use 'em. They aren't bad. We are just spoiled.

Your daughter is very wise and we will watch her career with great interest!

hwCVFxJ.jpg

The yellow ESP and pink Z in the foreground are my normal 168g workhorse seasoned in Comets. The blue one in the background is a newer, flatter 168g Z Comet that I've been able to put a heap more power into. The pink one in the background is the new max weight 2022 MJ ESP one.

So, good news! Mine flies straight, and far! All 4 of those throws were near as makes no difference, identical in power level and aim, other than a bit more hyzer on the yellow ESP one, so it wouldn't just turn forever.

She's right, but it's more that everyone has their own "great" Comet and those that aren't that type are just "good" Comets. What may be a "great" Comet for one person may be a "good" Comet for someone else. Basically one man's "good" Comet is another man's "great" Comet.

She's right, but it's more that everyone has their own "great" Comet and those that aren't that type are just "good" Comets. What may be a "great" Comet for one person may be a "good" Comet for someone else. Basically one man's "good" Comet is another man's "great" Comet.
You might accidentally validate ThrowaEnvy's opinions about Comets with talk like that. :\

Howdy comet friends.
Just lost my trusty elite x comet in the lake, tried to jump in after it but couldn't find it.
I posted on Facebook to see if I could find another elite x one, no luck.
I was curious which of the newer comets fly the most similar to the elite x? From what I can tell there are Z, Big Z, ESP, and the new MJ swirly ones. Any advice would be great.

Oh geez.. Sorry about your luck :(

My opinion is to find one with a flatter top like a big Z or esp that's about 5g lighter than the elite X you had. If you watch eBay you might find an elite X. :D

That's a tough one to replace out of the box.

Latest posts