• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Common Misconceptions

You don't think they would be better off re-branding the discs? The company has that old man vibe even with the new stuff. I'm not hating, just not a fan of the names and marketing.

This kind of logic is why the US gets Discmania discs with corny names and ugly stamps, and the rest of the world gets simple names and clean, sexy shield stamps.

Hmmmm...someone left all these metal baskets out here in the woods. Well, no one seems to be around to claim them so I guess it's alright if we pull them up and take them.

:thmbdown::thmbdown:

is it not a misconception that flat discs are more over stable than the domey counterparts of the same mold ?
does being a flatter disc of the same mold make it more likely to have less drag and fly less stable ?

Hmmmm...someone left all these metal baskets out here in the woods. Well, no one seems to be around to claim them so I guess it's alright if we pull them up and take them.

:thmbdown::thmbdown:

No one will miss those poorly designed barbecue pits. Do you know how much tin foil and coal it takes to cook in one of those?

at work we had a german engineer helping set up a new machine...he had recently moved to mich. i had a shirt on the other day with a basket on it...he asks i have to know what that is on your shirt...i told him...he honestly though they were poorly place bbq grills....:)

You don't think they would be better off re-branding the discs? The company has that old man vibe even with the new stuff. I'm not hating, just not a fan of the names and marketing.
So still no examples of "old man" names, then, huh?

I'm really not sure how even the older discs they have like the Polaris, Sentinel, Omega or EXP1 are "old man" than names like Teebird, Wasp, Buzzz, Roc, Wizard or River. Millennium has always had a space/physics naming scheme and they're sticking to it. Are space exploration and physics now considered to be "old man" fields? Should they change the names to things like Blog, Hashtag, LOL, and Tweet?

So still no examples of "old man" names, then, huh?

I'm really not sure how even the older discs they have like the Polaris, Sentinel, Omega or EXP1 are "old man" than names like Teebird, Wasp, Buzzz, Roc, Wizard or River. Millennium has always had a space/physics naming scheme and they're sticking to it. Are space exploration and physics now considered to be "old man" fields? Should they change the names to things like Blog, Hashtag, LOL, and Tweet?

I guess it was cool in the early 90's when I was born lol.
Why did they get rid of the EXP-1 btw?????

is it not a misconception that flat discs are more over stable than the domey counterparts of the same mold ?
does being a flatter disc of the same mold make it more likely to have less drag and fly less stable ?

It varies. PLH is more important than dome in regards to stability, but dome vs flat affects the stability of discs different, in my opinion.

The new runs of Flat-Top Rocs are pretty straight, definitely less overstable than normal Domey Rocs. Similarly, the *D Destroyers are mostly pretty flat, and on the flippier side of Destroyers compared to domey runs of *DS and S/DS.

On the other side, those really Flat 12x Firebirds are super super overstable.

Similar to this: "Faster discs are EASIER to throw farther.:doh:

Another misconception is that you should practice and use only one putting technique for every putt. From The Champ himself, "Practicing from different distances is important as well as trying different styles. It's very beneficial to learn how to vary your putts for different circumstances – slow, fast, low, high, turnover, hyzer. You'll make more putts if you can learn more putts.

The main message for practice is to make sure you spend the most time on those things you're not doing well. If you're throwing perfect hyzer putts most of the time but having trouble with straddle putts, work on the straddle. With anything you have problems with in your game, go out and throw repeatedly until you get it right."
Refer to http://www.kenclimo.com/howto.htm

The football field near my house is actually 200 yds long...it's 300 ft from the end zone to the 50.

Mine too. How odd I'd that. :clap::clap::hfive:

Now that I've reached 500 posts my score will go down!!

Because so many people have 500 posts, they changed the requirement for making your score go down to 1000 posts... :p

That you need an overstable disc to throw a spike hyzer. Or you need to break out the Whippet, Drone, Monster and the like for a 10 mph headwind.

People claiming a certain brand is better than the next. It's all personal preference in what you've experienced.

Or that it is okay to play disc golf shirtless....

Or that it is okay to sign the basket if you ace the hole...

Or that it is okay to litter.

Or the nuke ss is the perfect disc. GOOD LORD, I HATE THE NUKE SS.