• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Common Plateaus, Issues, and Breaking Through Them

Nice thread.
I lack consistency, my drives are all over the place. Like, today I somehow managed to throw my Pure over 400' in no wind(was on a putters only round) on a flat 610' hole to a spot I usually land with my drivers(150' short from the pin) It was a straight hyzer to flat shot that just kept going. Of course I tried to mimic that line with another shot but that fell about 130' shorter. Go figure. I need more time on the field(like marking my steps etc.).

I agree that people should practice with drivers, as throwing mids and putters shows how to not torque the disc and be clean, but it doesn't show how to throw hard (like a driver does), or nose angle sensitivity. The "don't throw drivers!" thing is, to me, mostly for beginners who buy a Blizzard Boss, or guys throwing 300' like I described where no disc mattered.

My experience with high speed stuff began with a star Vulcan. Initially when I was throwing in the no-snap barrier that I desribed, I threw the Vulcan with some torque and lots of speed (I was trying to be clean) and I could get it to do a crazy S-flight out to 380'. It was crazy, like 50' farther than I had ever thrown. I thought high speed drivers were automatic distance.

But, I cleaned up my form and couldn't throw the Vulcan for months...it would hyzer out every time. It wasn't until I got to that 350' mark with some snap that I could throw it again. Then over time I found it's too flippy to be reliable once I have the "real" arm speed it takes to throw faster discs somewhat properly.

So I wasn't saying never throw high speed stuff in my original post, and it was very good I had a disc like that to measure myself against....but I just didn't want to list any distance benchmarks with it at those early stages because it was so unreliable depending on the day and how much torque I had, until I could throw it more properly. And at that point throwing something more like a Destroyer gives more repeatable results.

As far as the putter distance thing:
In my first week of strong arming discs I could max out at 300' occasionally, and mids were already going up to 270'. I went through so many form variations and added 100' to drivers with mids only going ~300' in a trustworthy way (I could throw them 330' on the field occasionally, but more often than not they would act too flippy if I tried to overthrow them). I could throw putters like 230' pretty easily initally. I saw barely any added distance with mids and putters (putters up to 275' consistently for a long time...with absolute max rips to 300' occasionally but they felt different).

The thing I found is that if you're clean with a mid or putter, they float out there 250'+ very easily. You don't need to throw them all that fast, or have the nose down really. Once you get to the snap area of technique they'll fly out there way straighter...but they may not go insanely far. But, if you don't have the arm speed that doesn't necessarily translate to high speed discs. If you can throw a driver 400'+ you can definitely throw your putter over 270'...but if you can throw your putter 270' you can't necessarily throw your driver 350'...they have a bit of a different technique and arm speed requirement, and drivers need practice too.

I fully agree about throwing understable discs too...best way to make sure your planes are consistent and learn some shot shaping. Throwing neutral putters, neutral mids, straight (stable) fairway as well as slightly understable fairway drivers, and something faster that isn't beefy is the best way to get all of the variables of different throwing requirements IMO.

This helps so much. I have been working on cleaning up my form by throwing putters and mids for a solid year now almost exclusively. When I threw my high speed drivers though, they weren't going as far as they used to. I didn't realize that I had stopped pulling through with my hips as I worked on keeping my discs on a clean line. A year ago I was getting my Inertia out to about 350', but my putters only to 200'. Now My putters are around 250' and mids 270' but my Inertia and Insanity are only just hitting 300', right along with my fairways, which were hitting closer to 320' last year.

Guess I need to get back out there with my drivers and get my hips back into it more.

Just thought I'd say thanks for this thread. For the last year I've been playing only an average of 18 holes a week. My distance this year has regressed to having to rely on small flex shots with distance drivers to get 350. After reading this I really looked at what I was doing wrong and get out for a little practice. For the last two rounds I've been able to get my eagle x's out to 350 on a hyzer without ever flipping up repeatedly. So again thanks

Just thought I'd say thanks for this thread. For the last year I've been playing only an average of 18 holes a week. My distance this year has regressed to having to rely on small flex shots with distance drivers to get 350. After reading this I really looked at what I was doing wrong and get out for a little practice. For the last two rounds I've been able to get my eagle x's out to 350 on a hyzer without ever flipping up repeatedly. So again thanks

wait...350 on a long hyzer? That has to be 400+ on a typical max d line, right? wow....

wait...350 on a long hyzer? That has to be 400+ on a typical max d line, right? wow....

I should clarify that this was my typical distance when I played more. Slow Plastics post help me analyze and see that I wasn't bracing at all anymore. As far as max d I don't know as my course only requires about 370' of power which was not an issue the last 2 leagues.

I should clarify that this was my typical distance when I played more. Slow Plastics post help me analyze and see that I wasn't bracing at all anymore. As far as max d I don't know as my course only requires about 370' of power which was not an issue the last 2 leagues.

Awesome, it's easy to drift away from what is working and have no idea where that power went...sucks so much. Happy it came back.

Hey slowplastic, any chance you can post video of your current form?

If the weather cooperates sometime I'll try to get some video, but not sure when that will be. I'd rather just watch the slow-mo vids of McBeth and Schusterick though if I was trying to figure something out ;)

This seems like a good candidate for a sticky!

If the weather cooperates sometime I'll try to get some video, but not sure when that will be. I'd rather just watch the slow-mo vids of McBeth and Schusterick though if I was trying to figure something out ;)

I feel like I'm at the point you were a few months ago when you posted some form videos. I thought it might be helpful to me to see what you have changed.

This is an awesome thread and glad it became a sticky. Thanks so much for the effort put into it!

I am definitely stuck at the no-snap barrier, or even a little less distance. Definitely gives me more ideas to practice and things to try and change to get that 350' consistently. SW22 and SlowPlastic are instrumental to this site and is great to watch other player's videos and see their critiques, to try and use in my own throw. Can't thank you guys enough!

Now I just need to go throw some more and have it video'ed so I can see what the next thing to work on is.

Cheers guys!

Very nice write up. I am somewhere between the 350' and improved bracing steps and it took me 4 years to get there. I went backwards for a while as i started out throwing fairly far fairly quickly but had no idea why. I changed my form to try and become more accurate and succeeded but lost a lot of power and couldn't figure out how to get it back. This year has been 3-5 days a week of field work and a lot of lurking here but i'm finally putting drivers over 400' in the field and am reaching 380' holes on the course. I feel like i am a much better player for having been through (and continuing to go through) the process and that i can give more back to newer players who are trying to get better. I know a lot of guys who throw far and have no idea why. Anyway, thank you for the post!

...This year has been 3-5 days a week of field work and a lot of lurking here but i'm finally putting drivers over 400' in the field...

I LOVE throwing putters, please put a video up of you throwing 400ft bombs with a putter. Would love to see the flight path. Thx!!

For example, back when I was struggling with nose angle issues years ago, I was told to "get your weight forward" and that my "chest should be over the knee" during the follow through. This led me to not brace properly and I thought that tipping over and spiraling of the tee pad was good form. Now I'm struggling to undo that, but it is deeply ingrained now.

This is a brilliant thread slowplastic, really well put together.

I Think Banzai we got similar advice at the same time may years back! I had exactly the same problem, lost the brace totally for a good couple of years as a result (wasn't a terrible thing in the long run as it forced me to work on other areas of the game to make up for the sudden backhand distance and accuracy loss) until Sidewinder pushed me in the right direction again a couple of years ago. Full length mirror will be your friend in sorting the problem, it helps you see it immediately and feel what it feels like when it looks right.

I feel like I'm at the point you were a few months ago when you posted some form videos. I thought it might be helpful to me to see what you have changed.

Got it, when I get a chance I'll try to get a form thread going...I'm not consistent yet with where I'm currently at either. I'm able to hit 400'+ line drives every day now, which is great, but I need to know what it is that puts me in the ~430 range on good days. It's been a bit wet, and when the ground is slippery I subconsciously get nervous about bracing aggressively and lose up to 40'...but at least I understand why now. It also proves again to me how important that brace is.

Latest posts