• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Compass midrange

Could be a sales component to this being a sig disc, too. If it's a wide-appeal mid that many people can throw, that means more $ in his pocket.

yea that was my thought exactly. I personally think Lat64 made a business decision to give Ricky a signature mold. I think they settled on a mid in hopes that it would draw a majority or consumers - meaning people probably buy mids than buy putters or high speed drivers... purely an uneducated guess. I currently throw mostly claymores and Roc3s. Id trade for one out of pure curiosity, but I doubt I'll spend money on one.
I hate to say it, and I dont think its true, but do you think its possible that in light of all McBeths success and multiple sig molds, that they felt it necessary to get Ricky on board with a sig mold?

I hate to say it, and I dont think its true, but do you think its possible that in light of all McBeths success and multiple sig molds, that they felt it necessary to get Ricky on board with a sig mold?

Well, they definitely want SOMEONE to be their own McBeth, and they probably feel that Ricky has the best shot. If he can just win Worlds, USDGC, or at least an NT, then I'm guessing they are hoping to sell a lot of any signature disc he has. Honestly with McBeth playing the DGWT in Europe and missing some NT's this year, Ricky's got a good shot at some big wins. I know McBeth won't be at the Beaver State Fling here in Portland in June, so there's at least 1 good opportunity right there (not that Ricky has ever been even close to winning the BSF before).

I'd say that skill-wise, JohnE has an equal or even greater chance than Ricky to winning an NT in the next few years, but JohnE is a lot older than Ricky; he's only got so many years left in MPO and his health could also be an issue. I love JohnE; was heart-broken to see him lose USDGC on one hole. Still, business-wise, I'll bet Ricky moves a lot more merchandise.

I just finished reading all the posts here. Now Im thinking I might pick one up. Its been said here that its pretty close to the Roc3 so it definitely wont replace them...I doubt it will...I've thrown Roc3s for so long Ive come be quite fond of them and know exactly what they do for me. But Im wondering if one of these could cover some of the shots that I want the distance and straightness of a Claymore, but HSS of a Roc3. Maybe I'll fit well between a couple Roc3s and a couple Claymores? Or am I just trying to reason myself into buying more plastic lol

What really caught my attention was when someone here said that it feels just a buzzz. The Claymore and Buzzz are two of my favorite mids speaking strictly to the feel in hand

After spending a little time with this disc, I can safely say Truths out, Compass in. The two aspects that sold me were it's ability to power down better than the Truth and its lack of turn at speed.

I know the EMac Truths fix the issues of flippy/drifty Truths, but the Compass has the HSS that I assume the retooled Truth does, but without the crashing fade on powered down and lofty midrange lines. I've found that the compass "settles" rather than "fades". They might sacrifice a little distance, but the ability to throw this disc confidently across my power band and not worry about it flipping or crashing out of the sky early means it's taking over the workhorse mid slot for me.

While I'll miss the feel of the Truth in the hand, the Compass isn't too far off and I'm sure I'll get used to it soon. I'd love for Lat to release these in a nice blend of Zero, since Classic was my favorite plastic for my Truths.

Yes, and I'll take it a step further: IMHO the Compass is designed to compete directly with McBeth's Roc3, both in the abilities of the disc and the signatures of the pros on the discs.

I held a Compass in my paws the other day at PIAS. Did not buy the disc, regretted it, went back to PIAS, it was sold already so I'll be ordering one online. The feel of the Compass was very good to me, and if it flies like a Roc3 (which by many accounts it generally does), then it could become a competitor to the McBeth signature Roc3.

And if Ricky then goes out and wins some big tourneys... that should add to the fun.

I bought one and it turned and burned so I got another one and a couple of Pures and stayed on the football field until the sun went down and the discs flew straight. Cleaned up my form good and proper! ☺ Really great disc!

I know the EMac Truths fix the issues of flippy/drifty Truths, but the Compass has the HSS that I assume the retooled Truth does, but without the crashing fade on powered down and lofty midrange lines. I've found that the compass "settles" rather than "fades". They might sacrifice a little distance, but the ability to throw this disc confidently across my power band and not worry about it flipping or crashing out of the sky early means it's taking over the workhorse mid slot for me.
This really is the strong side of the Compass, but at the same time it is what keeps it on the sidelines for me. I just can't get enough separation between a Compass and Pure in terms of distance.

After spending a little time with this disc, I can safely say Truths out, Compass in. The two aspects that sold me were it's ability to power down better than the Truth and its lack of turn at speed.

While I'll miss the feel of the Truth in the hand, the Compass isn't too far off and I'm sure I'll get used to it soon. I'd love for Lat to release these in a nice blend of Zero, since Classic was my favorite plastic for my Truths.

This is exactly why I tried a truth/verdict and liked it, but when i piped it down a fairway, it would flip, both discs, and the speed/distance potential does not out-weigh the control and confidence of not turning over. So I went back to Buzzes and am happy, but the Compass looks and feels like that go-to midrange, If I ever pick up a new midrange It'll be a compass, plus the name and stamp are sweet. Glad to hear its holding up!!

This really is the strong side of the Compass, but at the same time it is what keeps it on the sidelines for me. I just can't get enough separation between a Compass and Pure in terms of distance.

Yeah I will miss that about my Truths, I definitely notice more overlap between Compass and Envy than Truth and Envy, which may require an adjustment period. As far as max distance with a mid, I've always been more comfortable discing up to a fairway than pushing a midrange as far as it can go during a round, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue for me.

This is exactly why I tried a truth/verdict and liked it, but when i piped it down a fairway, it would flip, both discs, and the speed/distance potential does not out-weigh the control and confidence of not turning over. So I went back to Buzzes and am happy, but the Compass looks and feels like that go-to midrange, If I ever pick up a new midrange It'll be a compass, plus the name and stamp are sweet. Glad to hear its holding up!!

Believe it or not, I've never thrown Buzzz in my life, just held one or two, which feels like DG blasphemy. We just never had Discraft available locally. But I can say that the two molds feel very similar in the hand, and going off feel and the reviews of Buzzzes from players, this is for sure Lat's Buzzz, so I think you'll be happy no matter what brand you go with.

Yes, and I'll take it a step further: IMHO the Compass is designed to compete directly with McBeth's Roc3, both in the abilities of the disc and the signatures of the pros on the discs.

I held a Compass in my grubby paws the other day at PIAS. Did not buy the disc, regretted it, went back to PIAS, it was sold already so I'll be ordering one online. The feel of the Compass was very good to me, and if it flies like a Roc3 (which by many accounts it generally does), then it could become a competitor to the McBeth signature Roc3.

And if Ricky then goes out and wins some big tourneys... that should add to the fun.

I'm sure Ricky just wants to make money and a straight midrange is a hot selling disc.

I'm sure Ricky just wants to make money and a straight midrange is a hot selling disc.
Sure you're at least partially joking, but I believe that drivers and putters sell way more than mids.

Also, Compass does fill a slot in the Trilogy lineup that was kinda empty. All others options are either beaded, less stable (excluding true OS mids) or faster.

Sure you're at least partially joking, but I believe that drivers and putters sell way more than mids.

Also, Compass does fill a slot in the Trilogy lineup that was kinda empty. All others options are either beaded, less stable (excluding true OS mids) or faster.

Actually if you pay attention to DGC top seller list the Roc3 and Buzzz are usually up high on the list of best sellers. Currently 4th and 9th best sellers currently. The Roc is also listed. I imagine that maybe not a first disc but soon thereafter many people would buy a disc like a Buzzz/Roc3/Compass.

I don't know the specifics if he had a say or what not on specific mold (I think he did), but I imagine it was in his contract that he would get a signature disc.

Totally agree with this. The midrange is the one place where I have no Trilogy representation. That will change when my order for a Compass gets to my door.

Due to technology and the advent of increasingly faster drivers, the 'mid' is looked at differently than it used to be, IMHO. But a good mid can be one of the best discs in the bag, and I suspect the Compass is going to be one of the good ones. Time will tell...

The other Trilogy 'hole': the Teebird/Eagle area, ~Speed 7 somewhat OS discs.

Actually if you pay attention to DGC top seller list the Roc3 and Buzzz are usually up high on the list of best sellers. Currently 4th and 9th best sellers currently. The Roc is also listed. I imagine that maybe not a first disc but soon thereafter many people would buy a disc like a Buzzz/Roc3/Compass.

I don't know the specifics if he had a say or what not on specific mold (I think he did), but I imagine it was in his contract that he would get a signature disc.

The Roc3 was the first disc I bought after I bought my initial Innova beginners set. Not sure if I'm typical tho, I like to spend some time researching rather than just going out to the shop blind, buying whatever has the coolest name

I'd say that Roc and Buzzz are kinda of exceptions due to their iconic statuses. None of the new mids (excl Roc3, which is still a Roc) have reached similar heights. At the same time, Judge, Saint, River, Colossus and Outlaw have reached top 10 lists even as new molds.

Not saying that a straight mid wont sell, but I just think that if the decision was purely money driven there would be better options.

Also, I think that Ricky had a real demand for the Compass.

I'd say that Roc and Buzzz are kinda of exceptions due to their iconic statuses. None of the new mids (excl Roc3, which is still a Roc) have reached similar heights. At the same time, Judge, Saint, River, Colossus and Outlaw have reached top 10 lists even as new molds.

Not saying that a straight mid wont sell, but I just think that if the decision was purely money driven there would be better options.

Well you did say that Mids don't sell as well as Putters and Drivers which is false as the Roc3/Roc/Buzzz and Emac Truth are all listed as best sellers currently on DGC. I do remember when the Compass came out that it was listed also (obvious new mold hotness).

Too your own point the Buzzz and Roc3 are iconic discs, well the Compass is a very similar and direct competitor to those, so picking a mold if Ricky did have a say I think he picked very well money wise. Funny too is that Emac picked the truth initially also (another midrange).

Also consider how many high speed drivers Trilogy has, they are very saturated so picking one mold out of so many can only net so much. As you say a slower straight Midrange is fairly unique in the Trilogy lineup. Ricky is doing well.

Again, spot-on about Ricky. I don't know what he was using before the Sockibomb Compass, but in his latest In The Bag video, he talks about the Compass being able to shape shots and be a go-to mid for him. I know, I know, these ITBs are scripted and sales pitches to some extent, but I got the impression that Ricky and Lat64 did collaborate on a mid to Ricky's specs and needs. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, anyways.

As to mid sales... this can be argued ad infinitum, (and on DGCR it will be,) but there ARE some mids that are popular and sell very well. Some of this goes back to pro bags... many pros seem to only carry one or two mid molds, and use different plastics and cycling to cover all the shots, as McBeth does with his Roc3s. I am thinking Ricky Wysocki is going to do that with the Compass, and it'll be a very good seller.

Side note: one reason that one does not see mid molds in top seller lists... is because there are so freaking many of them! Look at the Marshall Flight Guide... speed 5 is inundated with molds, and then come the V-tech variants and OS and US variants (for the Buzzz, for example). With that many options, it's no wonder that one or two molds don't dominate like in other areas. JMHO, of course.

Really enjoying the compass for all my midrange duties. For me, it's been holding any line I put it on. With some power and turn maybe a degree or two then hold straight and finish straight. Feels similar to a buzzz in hand but much more comfortable for me, but I couldn't tell you why. They've had a great impact on my game the last month or so, would definitely recommend to anyone to give it a toss. Oh and I was throwing it around 260-300 fwiw.

Anyone been trying out the new plastics? A buddy of mine had some decodyes that looked sweet and I know the gold line just came out, really interested in seeing some comparisons across plastics.

Update: been working with my Opto Compass on the range and on the course. It's a really good and versatile disc. More comfortable than the (beaded) Roc3 to throw, and does pretty similar things. Distance is in line with the Roc3 and most other mids, though the VCobra is my distance champion for midrange discs (YMMV). With time and use, the Compass will very likely turn into a very reliable straight-flying-through-the-woods disc for me. Ricky Wisocky and Lat64 hit a home run with this one; can't wait to see what their next collaboration will do for us....

Latest posts