• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Baggers

Hmm, including Practice Areas is a slippery slope. Not in favor of that. What if I set up a portable basket in my backyard?

Maybe you'd prefer DGPracticeAreas.com. ;)

I'm pretty sure practice areas - if they're part of DGCR - are included in course count (I just checked mine, and they are). I guess if you took the time to set up your backyard practice basket as a "course" (and it was accepted), it would be available for you to play, and therefore count.

Reviews of practice areas (yeah - I wrote one, for a four basket setup in a nearby park) could not receive upvotes or downvotes.

I guess that part makes sense.

So my point here is that we've already been on that slippery slope...

Hmm, including Practice Areas is a slippery slope. Not in favor of that. What if I set up a portable basket in my backyard?

Maybe you'd prefer DGPracticeAreas.com. ;)
I'm all for setting a minimum # of baskets to even be considered a Practice Area, I'm thinking at least 3 to have it listed. If you would list your 1 basket on the site, then you would have to deal with us baggers showing up (sometimes unannounced) at all hours, just to get another course. :)

I'm pretty sure practice areas - if they're part of DGCR - are included in course count (I just checked mine, and they are). I guess if you took the time to set up your backyard practice basket as a "course" (and it was accepted), it would be available for you to play, and therefore count.

Reviews of practice areas (yeah - I wrote one, for a four basket setup in a nearby park) could not receive upvotes or downvotes.

I guess that part makes sense.

So my point here is that we've already been on that slippery slope...
I didn't make this clear - Practice Areas are included in your overall course count, but they are NOT included in the course count for the Top Baggers list. Which is why it would be nice to have a selection Box to include or exclude PAs.
Everyone has a chance to bag a PA (unlike Extincts or Temps), so why are they not in the Baggers count? (I added a PR designation to those in my Excel file so that I can reconcile to that list.) (y)

I'm all for setting a minimum # of baskets to even be considered a Practice Area, I'm thinking at least 3 to have it listed. If you would list your 1 basket on the site, then you would have to deal with us baggers showing up (sometimes unannounced) at all hours, just to get another course. :)
C'mon by. Can you bring a portable basket (or nine) too? ;)

For me ... I'm counting courses, not practice areas. To be fair, I haven't played any listed practice areas, and if I did, I wouldn't count it. But that's just me.

My backyard has several trees, perhaps I create a dozen one hole practice areas where the tree is the basket.

The old "Top Bagger" list did not count Extinct, Temp or Practice courses. But a big one was it did not count any courses that were not playable. So if a course was closed, it didn't show in anyone's count.
Of course you could check "Temp" and Extinct courses for a separate search.

I am very interested in this coming back. As the #1 guy in Texas (Ain't no one ever going to catch me) But also #1 in Oklahoma, #2 in both Arkansas and Louisiana and I think I was up to #5 in Kansas and rising. (will never get past #3 with 2 active course collectors as #1 and #2)

The old "Top Bagger" list did not count Extinct, Temp or Practice courses. But a big one was it did not count any courses that were not playable. So if a course was closed, it didn't show in anyone's count.
Of course you could check "Temp" and Extinct courses for a separate search.

I am very interested in this coming back. As the #1 guy in Texas (Ain't no one ever going to catch me) But also #1 in Oklahoma, #2 in both Arkansas and Louisiana and I think I was up to #5 in Kansas and rising. (will never get past #3 with 2 active course collectors as #1 and #2)
I like that temp courses don't count, but am thinking extinct courses should count for sheer bragging rights.

I like that temp courses don't count, but am thinking extinct courses should count for sheer bragging rights.
I think the default should include extinct and temp. Toboggan and CRISP pop-up in DC are temp. Why shouldn't they count?

Bottom line is if you've played a legit course, it should be included in your course count. Just my 2 cents worth.

My only beef is I've seen some courses get RIP'd and relisted for what amounts to some relatively modest changes to the layout. In my opinion, that sort of thing artificially inflates course counts.

I think the default should include extinct and temp. Toboggan and CRISP pop-up in DC are temp. Why shouldn't they count?

Bottom line is if you've played a legit course, it should be included in your course count. Just my 2 cents worth.
This is fair. I got to play Toboggan and have it in my count. Never thought about something like that in my temp course thoughts.

My only beef is I've seen some courses get RIP'd and relisted for what amounts to some relatively modest changes to the layout. In my opinion, that sort of thing artificially inflates course counts.
Yeah some in my hometown had that happen, and while I feel your sentiment on it inflating course counts, I did mark the "new courses" in my map.

I'm also of the mindset that a new layout, or addition of holes shouldn't make it a whole new course, but just need to edit the course to reflect the changes (ie. Idlewild going from 18 to 24, or Bracketts Bluff needing to have a new layout).

I see that you can now look "top baggers" up

It now counts "practice' areas.

I know this because when I search with "Temp" and "Extinct" courses, is pulls up all 1501 courses I have marked as played.

Sitting at #16 overall
#1 Texas with over 80% played. The #2 guy is the only one with 50% or more.

If you just count current courses in the ground (not expired or Temp)
#2 in Arkansas
#2 in Louisiana
#2 in Oklahoma thanks to ChainedEvil, he passed me up this last week (again) Looks like it's time to clean up some more Oklahoma courses.
#3 in Kansas now that I have 200+ in that state

Do any of you baggers ever get "bagger burnout"? Apologies if this discussion has happened before but I'm feeling it a little bit.

I'm currently in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. There were about 7 more courses that I wanted to bag up here over 9 days so that I can officially say that I have played them all. So it wasn't even a very efficient bagging trip haha, but rather aimed at hitting that elusive 100% mark (while also trying to return to some favorites, and do some other non-DG stuff like sightseeing/hiking etc.) Of course, the ones that I needed to hit had popped up all across the UP from the far eastern end to the far western end - so it meant a ton of driving and staying in 3 different places over the 9 days.

But while driving back to my hotel in the dark (again) and eating dinner at 10 PM (again) last night, I did some self-reflection and kind of asked myself "Am I actually enjoying this?" The answer is definitely yes overall, but I want to figure out how to slow down a little bit. I feel like on the handful of solo trips I have taken so far, I have been trying to basically jam pack every day full of as much stuff (both disc golf and other activities) as possible. To the point where I realized I am even sometimes rushing on the course so that I can move on to the next course/activity.

I do realize that when I go somewhere new, it's unrealistic to play every course like I have in the UP. It's been fun to do that here because I love the UP, but that isn't something I plan on doing in other areas away from home. That's kind of the whole point of the reviews y'all write - so that I can pick out good ones to hit when I travel. But I still feel like I'm struggling to find the right balance between playing disc golf, doing other stuff that looks interesting, and actually relaxing *in the normal sense of the word.* I'm supposed to be on vacation, after all. When I started planning out this trip I literally wrote the word "RELAX" in all capital letters. Well the courses are gonna be all bagged, but I haven't done very much of that "RELAX" part. :LOL:

Has anyone else had similar feelings? I guess my questions for fellow baggers are something like:
- How do you balance bagging as many DG courses as possible, vs. experiencing other things that a destination has to offer?
- How do you avoid stretching yourself too thin on bagging trips?

Last edited:
Do any of you baggers ever get "bagger burnout"? Apologies if this discussion has happened before but I'm feeling it a little bit.

Has anyone else had similar feelings? I guess my questions for fellow baggers are something like:
- How do you balance bagging as many DG courses as possible, vs. experiencing other things that a destination has to offer?

I find myself feeling burnout toward the end of the day on trips. I also find myself, as you do, sometimes feeling like I'm rushing to get through a course just to get to the next one(s) and have to stop and sit and reflect on why I'm even playing. Once I remember that I'm just here to have fun, my ultimate happy place, it all slows down and becomes fun again.

When I'm on solo trips, I can stop early and readjust the parameters of the trip as needed. When I'm on trips with friends, I just smoke another joint and one disc the rounds when I'm feeling burnt out.

Short answer

Nope

I have always tried to play new courses even back when I first started playing in 1988.

in 2016, I got bitten by the bug again when I turned 50.

First, I was playing some GM tournaments. Didn't do so well, but look at all the new courses that had popped up in the DFW area.

So, I started hitting them, a few at a time.

My first long trip was 5 courses in a day, then I kept going out further and further.

When doing an OK trip, I was getting up at 4am and driving to the course. I could not fall asleep beforehand.

After that, I started driving towards the first course of the day till I got tired. I would then take a nap in the car. I found I was getting more rest like that.

Well, these days I have to drive 6 hours or more to find pockets of courses I have not played.

2 weeks ago I drove 420 miles, got to the course right before dawn. I got my disc golf gear on and started playing as soon as I could see the basket from the tee.

I then played 12 courses consisting of 113 holes.

I started at 6am playing the first course, I finished the last course at 7pm and started the 7 hour drive home. I did finally take a nap at the 3 hour mark making it something like 32 hours with no sleep. I slept at a truck stop for 2 hours, then drove the rest of the way home getting there at 4am. I was up at work by 3pm. I was on the road for 30 1/2 hours and drove 1092 miles.

I am going to do something similar this week. Depending on the direction I take, it will be another 1100 miles day with 9 or 10 courses in the mix. (over 100 holes depending on if I play one or two courses in one of the towns)

My goal is to be on the road by 11pm, should pull up to the first course at 6am and take a short nap. Then play all day with about 15 to 30 min drives between course. Most are 9 hole small town courses. Those I can usually knock out in less than 45min. I do have a couple of 18's in there. 9 on the agenda are in KS, one, the furthest from home, is in NE.

For fun, this is my agenda for this Thursday

Leave from my Store by 11pm Wednesday night
Drive 496 miles to Belloit KS

6:15 - 7:45 Beloit
7:45 - 845 drive (longest drive between courses)
8:45 - 9:30 Webber
9:30 - 9:45 drive
9:45- 10:30 Superior NE
10:30 - 11:00 Drive
11:00 - 11:45 Mankato
11:45 - 12:30 Drive
12:30 - 1:15 Downs
1:15 - 1:30 drive
1:30 - 2:15 Osborne
2:15 - 3:00 drive
3:00 - 4:30 Russell
4:30 - 5:00 Drive
5:00 - 5:45 Hoisington
5:45 - 6:00 Drive
6:00 - 7:30 or 6:45 Great Bend

There is an 18 hole course and 9 hole course in Great Bend. I may start there with the 18 hole course, that was my original plan. I thought I would try to play the trip backwards so if I have time, I could play both Great Bend courses. But the more I look at it, I may do my OG plan and skip the 9 hole course in Great Bend on this trip, hit it on another drive getting courses west of there. Either way sunset is at 8:18 so I have some extra time. Last trip I finished the last course by 7pm and started the 7 hour drive home. Without taking a trip last week, I am itching to do another crazy long one.

Ok, now that I wrote all that down, I am going to do my original plan of starting in Great Bend and finishing in Beloit.

This makes the most since.

Start off with an 18 hole course when it is still cool, even get to the 18 hole course in Russellville by 10am. Then it's all 9 hole small town courses till the hour drive to the last 18 hole course at the end of the day. I will be "refreshed" after driving an hour and will be ready for another course. My target is 30 min driving between courses to "rest" up for the next.

Oh, when I plan these trips, I calculate 5min per hole. So a 9 hole course is 45min, an 18 hole courses is 90min. For every course I finished under, there is usually one I take longer at. Also might make a pit stop for gas and restroom break. I also tend to play slower later in the day as I get tired and it's suppose to be over 100 that day.

Hey, DFrah.
How often do you go on bagging trips, and how long do they typically last? For me, I take an entire week off from work. It might be just two or three times per year. That kind of scarcity keeps it fresh and adventurous enough for me that I can fight through the fatigue that I start to feel by the end of the third or fourth day. I just remind myself before bed, "Oh, boy, I'm going to play even more courses that I've never been to tomorrow morning!" And that gives me a jolt of determination.

To answer your questions properly:
1. I try my best to plan each day ahead of time. Normally, I can only do three courses per day-- four if I get up really early. And that's accounting for travel time. Giving myself a loose schedule helps me to keep things in perspective. Two hours per solo round at an 18-hole course multiplied by 'x' courses and then I add in travel time.
I also try to avoid other activities in the area, as crazy as that sounds. I know that there is more to life than disc golfing, but if I am on a disc golfing trip, then I try to stay focused unless a nearby attraction is really famous or something like that.
2. To avoid stretching myself thin, I play the short layouts of new courses (unless it's a big-name course!). Plus, I allow the Sun to determine when I should stop. Whenever sunset is for that day, I stop playing an hour beforehand to allow myself time to find a hotel or whatever and get food and so forth.

Oh, I didn't answer one question.

When on a Vacation with the wife, I limit myself to 1 course per day. I usually try to find a quick 9 hole course near where we are staying that I can play after all the "vacation" stuff closes up. I did this when we went to California, although I did play two bucket list courses.

Golden Gate was played in the evening, the course was packed.

I did play Brooktrails in the Redwoods as my 1300th course. I actually skipped playing the day before. After that, I didn't play any the next two days as I was satisfied. Played Brook Trails after doing a balloon flight over Napa Valley. We are not wine drinkers so visiting a winery was not on the agenda. We did visit the Petrified Forest on the way to the Red Wood forest area. That was one heck of a trip and Brooktrails is one of my top 10 fun courses to play because of the freaking HUGE Redwood Trees.

When I did course 1400, I did a 2 day trip to New Orleans. I only played 4 courses in the area, then we did vacation stuff the next day.

When I did course 1500, Another 2 day trip. I played 4 courses including Eagles Crossing as #1500 and then did touristy stuff the 2nd day, after things started shutting down, I hit one more course then drove home to DFW.

I usually get a bit worn down by the end of any bagging trip. Especially if it's it's in the 90's or above and/or the courses I'm playing are hilly. Being from WI we don't get very many extremely hot days, and it's really flat around here. But I always try to remind myself this is WAYYY better than being at work. It helps to remember that I'll be cooped up in the house from December to April soon lol.

I could play all day myself but I also have to factor in the amount of extra shots the wife is throwing too. If we play a couple tough 18's where I throw 10 to 15 less shots on each that adds up pretty quick. Now if you double or triple that she's basically playing another course or two, throwwise. Also she apparently needs to eat food. Weirdo.

I could play all day myself but I also have to factor in the amount of extra shots the wife is throwing too. If we play a couple tough 18's where I throw 10 to 15 less shots on each that adds up pretty quick. Now if you double or triple that she's basically playing another course or two, throwwise. Also she apparently needs to eat food. Weirdo.
LOL, my wife is the same way, she slows me down and complains that I don't stop to eat or do anything else.

Usually when she goes with me, she will play the shorter courses, but she has been known to throw longer ones. If she goes with me, I find a nice restaurant to eat at after the sun goes down. If I am on my own, it's fast food drive though most of the time.

But yea, I do all day without stopping for food. Sometimes I bring some snacks and take a few bites between rounds. I am thinking about bringing some energy bars this next time and see if it helps me any.