• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Baggers

Well, got to play them all.

I think DavidSauls said it best, there is something about playing a course for the first time. I actually find it boring playing a course I have played before.

Yep, I gave my wife a day yesterday, but I did managed to bag 2 out in Canton after walking around First Mondays all day (and spending WAY too much money)

That puts me at 599 courses played in Texas (548 of them listed on this site)

Found out about a new course on the other side of Austin this week. I cleared that area out a weeks ago and already have enough courses to make another central Texas day trip.

If things go right, might try to hit some more Kansas courses next week. Depends on if I can get a day off, the lack of sleep from driving 5 hours wears me out.

I was doing that 2 or 3 years ago, and @brentjacobs made fun of me!

Kids these days, with their fancy computer gizmos and Applications. Scoffing at a good ol' fashioned sheet of paper with a map and some directions.

The first couple years I was on this site, I literally had a notebook that I wrote directions to every course in WI, from the directions on DGCR. Then I'd put a dot on the exact location in my road atlas of WI. Bagged over a hundred this way. I wonder now how the hell I even found half these places :p

The first couple years I was on this site, I literally had a notebook that I wrote directions to every course in WI, from the directions on DGCR. Then I'd put a dot on the exact location in my road atlas of WI. Bagged over a hundred this way. I wonder now how the hell I even found half these places :p

You too? I have several folders like we had in school each for different states with directions written on loose leaf. Down with OCD yeah you know me.

I ran paper directions/atlas until just recently...got an "old new" car with a rudimentary gps so it gets usage a bit here and there. I still don't like the feeling of having been somewhere and not knowing the details of how to get back.

Had a binder with hole punched course printouts for a couple of years but once I got a smartie phone handmedown from the wifey, it basically became obsolete.

Navigating with eyes and wits...:thmbup:

This is what I did before every vacation trip back in the day. I wrote down directions to lots of courses I ended up not playing bc I wanted to have the info for any courses I might get the chance to play on the trip.

The transition to GPS was rough back when GPS wasn't that good yet. I remember being in a rental car using a Tom Tom looking for DeLaveaga in 2009 and it was trying to send me down somebody's driveway way over on the back side of the course. I had that kind of experience way too many times, so I usually also jot down some basic directions, even today.

I recently found a folder full of course info printouts from dgcr stapled to mapquest directions.

If society colapses, at least I've got directions to a bunch of courses.:thmbup:

Old schoolers like tallpaul, for example, used to (not to take anything away from current generation of baggers) do these trips with maps and paper navigation, without benefit of DGCR/Udisc/google maps/gps! :eek:

Those are the true explorers in their own leagues, imho! :cool:

Lol.....for sure. Had a couple of buddies and we would take road trips out of state. We would print pages off the PDGA course directory pages. Put them in a three ring binder and off we would go. No GPS, MapQuest...hell, most of the time not much of a map. The directions were always some written directions from a course local. Unbelievably hard to follow at times.

I-95 for the first Podunk exit, go left till you see the large red silo. Go right, till to a huge apple tree, go left. The course is near the broken bridge.

It only added to the adventure in the long run.

I recently found a folder full of course info printouts from dgcr stapled to mapquest directions.

For quite some time, this was how I rolled. Until...

Back in 2011, I hooked up with Ripper to play Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge, who was trusting and kind enough to lend his Garmin to some guy he'd only known for a couple of rounds. What a game changer! Purchased one from Best Buy as soon as I got home. :)

So my paper my file of directions to courses, printed courses maps and score cards are obsolete?

NO!! Don't let the technology cult try to convince you that their fancy GPS apps are any better than your tried and true methods.

They will try to draw you in, telling you about the free UDisc versions and various other free apps.....notice the age old application of....first hit's free.

---signed,
A Luddite

Added a day onto the end of my fishing trip to bag around Anchorage, AK. I'd played one of the 9ers when I was up there in 2011 and was able to knock off the other six by 1pm Sunday. Thank goodness for GPS driving directions and UDisc course mapping. That left my afternoon open to relax and enjoy a spin through Kincaid Park. What an absolutely lovely course.

Just a few more to get to 500, should make that happen in a few weeks in WY.

I bagged over 100 again for the second year in a row. Hope to hit 700 sometime next year.

Did you already hit 100 for this calendar year? Congrats! That's crazy impressive with more than 25% of 2021 still left!

this may be the first year since 2015 that i haven't bagged at least 50 new courses. Sitting at 40 new courses in 2021 with zero upcoming trips planned.

Did you already hit 100 for this calendar year? Congrats! That's crazy impressive with more than 25% of 2021 still left!

Yeah, just in 2021. Played 34 on the last trip alone. Basically April to a week ago. Already mapping one out for next May 😁