• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courses around Ann Arbor

Marcovis

Going to be in Ann Arbor, Michigan next Monday through Wednesday. We are driving from Iowa, will probably play a course Monday on the way there, Tuesday I'm free until 5pm to play, and we will play a course on our way back Wednesday. Never played in Michigan and want to check some new courses off my list, I'm only 7 away from 100 courses played currently. Thinking I'll get at least two rounds in on Tuesday. What are the must play courses within 30 or so miles of Ann Arbor and is there a course we should hit on the way there or on our way back that's a must play?

Having made this trip myself I would say The Canyons in Illinois would be a perfect stop. Very fun course with some cool holes and it is probably right around the halfway point of the drive so good time to stretch those legs.

In the Ann Arbor area your best bets are Independence Lake, Hudson Mills, Rolling Hills and Kensington Metropark.
* Indy Lake - 36 holes, 24 with (long & short) cement tee pads and the recent 12 hole addition (x1-x12) with natural pads. $10 per car non Washtenaw County residents.
* Hudson Mills - Two 24 hole courses on site (Original and Monster), with long and short pads. No driving to 2nd course, just walk over to other side of parking lot. Guessing around $7.00 to enter park and $2.00 per golfer to play for the whole day.
* Rolling Hills - Only one 18 hole course playable now, long and short pads, other course is too new. Does have a 18 hole putting course as well on site. $10 per car to get in park.
* Kensington - Two 18 hole courses on site with long and short pads. Same as Hudson, around $7 per car and $2 for golf.

Personally I would lean towards Hudson Mills or Indy Lake, but you cant go wrong with any of the above. Great time of year to visit Michigan, weather is in that sweet spot now and courses are beautiful. Enjoy!

^ I'll strongly 2nd everything FP said.

The Canyons, should be right along your route. I just played Fairfield Park (north of Chicago), and while it was great, I can definitely say I preferred Canyons. I think it's the 2nd best course in Illinois.

Rogers Lakewood is another great course that's right on your way.

Baker Park is another fun course on your way, but that's a lot closer to you, and you might want to save that for a day trip to maximize time playing courses you can't get to as easily.

Current fees for Hudson Mills and Kensington:
Park Entry Fee: $10/car
DG Fee: $3/player for the entire day (add'l to park entry fee for the car).

Both courses at Independence Lake offer some wonderful DG, but the poison ivy there is by far the worst in the area.
If that's not an issue for you, you're luckier than I. But I never play Indy in shorts. If it cools off a bit by the time you arrive, it might not be as prevalent, but at least you can go in armed with that knowledge.

Enjoy some DG in the Mitten!

Last edited:
Can't get better advice than from these two guys. Last time I was at Rolling Hills, they were also charging a disc golf fee of a couple bucks as well, which means Indy Lake could be as well....same park system.

I would encourage you to do Hudson Mills or Independence Lakes. If you go with HM, you get to mark off two courses, as they are listed as separate courses. Both are simply terrific golf.

I too, would also second Bogey suggestion of Rogers Lakewood. Great course.

Awesome info guys! I've played Canyons before and agree that it's an amazing course.

Pricing increases, guess we are going mainstream after all. :) Thanks for the update on Metropark pricing as its been a minute since I have visited them.

Hudson Mills is a great Autumn course. Fun and challenging, but not overly so. The place has hosted the Worlds before. I like the Rolling Hills course a lot too. And I agree that the Canyons kicks ass too.

Hudson Mills and Kensington are run by the same entity, so you could theoretically play both in a single day and not have to pay any more to do so.

IIRC, same deal with Indy Lake and Rolling...

If you'd rather play for free, The Ponds at Lakeshore is an option if you like mostly long and mostly open.

Hudson Mills and Kensington are run by the same entity, so you could theoretically play both in a single day and not have to pay any more to do so.

IIRC, same deal with Indy Lake and Rolling...

If you'd rather play for free, The Ponds at Lakeshore is an option if you like mostly long and mostly open.

Vogues is spot on, same day's park pass will get you into Hudson Mills + Kensington, but with 48 holes at Hudson Mills and 36 at Kensington.... I dunno how many people can pull that off as early as we lose daylight this time of year.

Same day's pass (although different pass than Hudson/Kensington) works for Indy Lake and Rolling Hills is more manageable in a single day to save a $10 park entry fee,

Latest posts