• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

COVID Nursing...Ask Me Anything

What were you doing before getting drafted to be a superhero again? Any desire to stay with nursing when the dust settles?

I was a med/surg nurse for 10 years. I was then asked to build and maintain the clinical part of the electronic medical record system for my hospital system. My part was building orders, flowsheets, charges, notes and workflow within the electronic chart for clinicians (doctors, nurses, respiratory therapists, PT, OT...) Cool gig with M-F hours, no weekend/holidays. Far less physically, emotionally demanding. My nursing background was fantastic to helping shape the build. We hired many clinicians to help build the system.

When the dust settles, I am leaning toward finishing out worklife as a nurse. I am a better nurse, than an IT system analyst. Really....nursing is a calling.

When the dust settles, I am leaning toward finishing out worklife as a nurse. I am a better nurse, than an IT system analyst. Really....nursing is a calling.

My wife has a nursing background (and an MBA). After working ICU, oncology, transplant, etc. she settled on occupational health, because it combines nursing with regular hours.

Just a thought. :)

Thank you ru4por for everything.

My wife is a special care nursery nurse at Genesys and she was pulled into their covid unit exclusively, due to her 15 years SICU experience. If only everyone knew and cared about what you guys go through. Thank you for what you do, and for sharing your knowledge. I get to hear it first hand here, and it scares the heck out of me that a ton of people still aren't taking it seriously.

David, that is really whom I am working with. We have no vented patients in my area. Sadly, we are doing very little. There is no treatment for the virus itself, so we essentially are treating symptoms and providing comfort.

Breathing difficulty is the hospitalization threshold. As long as the lungs are effectively exchanging O2, you stay home. Once hospitalized, O2 therapy is used. We measure the amount of O2 being carried around the blood, usually via a finger probe, measuring O2 saturation levels. We strive to keep this number above 90%. If it drops below this, we turn up the oxygen. Once we hit 6-8 Liters of O2, we begin high flow O2 treatments. 8-15 L of O2, humidified and heated. This is pretty effective, but obviously the patient cannot continue to survive with this kind of intervention.

Other than that, we are giving high doses of Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Zinc. Antibiotics to treat secondary infections. We are using some corticosteroids, though their effectiveness is not documented, nor have I seen them as very effective. IV fluid use is restricted in many cases, for fear of fluid overload. This would have a serious impact on the lungs, but hydration is also important. We keep a pretty close eye on fluids. We have just begun "proning" patients. Encouraging them to lie on their stomachs. This seems to facilitate better lung protection, inflation and hygiene. It is now part of our ICU protocol, and the trend seems to be moving to earlier intervention, on my floor.

Thanks, more than you can imagine. I've been wondering about it, if I get sick, when are the risks of being in a hospital outweighed by the benefits. Or, if someone I know gets sick.

My 79-year-old, active father had a high fever land him in the hospital for 4 days while they waited for covid-19 tests to come back (negative, and he was released). With no visitation, and an overloaded hospital, it was hard to get information; and really hard for him, stuck there, nothing to do but watch the news, which is all covid-19. Made me think people don't want to go until they have to, and wonder what is "have to"---what are the benefits?

You've helped me a lot with that question.

Thank you for making the sacrifice of going back to work at such a trying time.

Does an increase of hospital use of oxygen in a ratio of 1 to 30 sound accurate? We just got off the phone with an Oxygen provider and that is what they are seeing in the New York City area. If you have no idea that fine no worries.

Thanks again I can't imagine how stressful your days must be.

Thank you for making the sacrifice of going back to work at such a trying time.

Does an increase of hospital use of oxygen in a ratio of 1 to 30 sound accurate? We just got off the phone with an Oxygen provider and that is what they are seeing in the New York City area. If you have no idea that fine no worries.

Thanks again I can't imagine how stressful your days must be.

Not sure I understood the question. The use of oxygen in the hospital has certainly increased. I think it is safe to say that every patient in my facility is on O2. If we can stabilize any patient, to where they are plateaued at 1-3 L, we send them home. Home O2 for at least a month. I think we are ordering 2 months at home.

Great that you started this thread,and yeah... I bet you need an outlet to keep your sanity.

Once this cluster is over, I'll have a six-pack of Oberon with your name on it. ;) So glad you and your coleagues are making a huge difference right here in my community. :hfive:

All my best to you and the Mrs!

I am a 56 y/o nurse, now working on a Medical/Surgical floor at a local Metro Detroit hospital. My hospital is 100% COVID positive, by design. We are importing COVID patients from the other 7 hospitals in my system as well as many area systems, as well.

I thought I could avail myself, if anyone had questions on how the hospitals work in this kind of crisis. Please don't trash me, if you are not interested, you don't have to read or participate. In the ever changing craziness, I thought people might be curious at to what is happening inside the protected walls of medical facilities.

Talking about it also is pretty good for me. With golf out of the question, I have fewer coping mechanisms. *Self serving disclaimer.

There may be stuff I am not able to answer, I will be upfront about what I do not know, and things that would be inappropriate for me to discuss.

Lastly, if you know or know of anyone working in hospitals...try to support them. I am here to tell you they need it. The nurses, doctors, respiratory therapists, unit clerks, nursing assistants, housekeepers, security, .....ARE putting their lives on the line.
If I take a MS travel contract up there right now how risky is it? What will my ratio be? Will I be MS but crossover ICU? Are they allowing you to bring your own N95s or respirators? I'm on assignment now in Rockford IL and I refuse any assignment if I can't bring in my own P95 or if they don't supply me with an N95

Last edited:
If I take a MS travel contract up there right now how risky is it? What will my ratio be? Will I be MS but crossover ICU? Are they allowing you to bring your own N95s or respirators? I'm on assignment now in Rockford IL and I refuse any assignment if I can't bring in my own P95 or if they don't supply me with an N95

I am working with six patients on dayshift. Not horrible, but they are pretty sick and the entire process of donning PPE and doffing a dozen or better times and the overwhelming heat problem, of wearing the gear are big issues.

My facility, currently will let you wear your own respirator while in the "clean" areas of the hospital. But, when engaged in patient care in the "dirty areas", we are required to use the hospital supplied N95 masks. Nurses are wearing them in patient care area anyway. Don't know if that will continue or not. The PPE supply is holding up, but still rationed.

You can make some pretty serious cash. I think they are now hiring down at Cobo arena (TCF Center), a converted overflow hospital. I have heard some numbers thrown around, but it is a bit hard to get details or separate rumor from fact. If you are accepting an assignment here and have any ICU experience, you are going to work in an ICU. That is were the biggest needs are right now.

The risk factor? I believe that all nurses, in my position are going to get sick.

The risk factor? I believe that all nurses, in my position are going to get sick.

So you have to determine your odds of recovery. Where are you setting (and what do you recommend as) a method of determining where a nurse should set their go/no go point? And where do you go to for a trusted data source?

Last edited:
So you have to determine your odds of recovery. Where are you setting (and what do you recommend as) a method of determining where a nurse should set their go/no go point? And where do you go to for a trusted data source?

While the risk factor may be high, someone has to take care of these patients. I fully understand every single nurses or healthcare professionals concern and I would not chastise someone for refusing to work with Covid patients. It is really hard to get good trusted data information regarding covid right now because everything is relatively new, however there are several Facebook groups of nurses that are taking care of Covid patients and I am using a lot of that info with what they are seeing and experiencing. If anyone here is a nurse and wants an invite to the Facebook groups, I would be happy to invite you, just PM me and prove you are a nurse please!

I am working with six patients on dayshift. Not horrible, but they are pretty sick and the entire process of donning PPE and doffing a dozen or better times and the overwhelming heat problem, of wearing the gear are big issues.

My facility, currently will let you wear your own respirator while in the "clean" areas of the hospital. But, when engaged in patient care in the "dirty areas", we are required to use the hospital supplied N95 masks. Nurses are wearing them in patient care area anyway. Don't know if that will continue or not. The PPE supply is holding up, but still rationed.

You can make some pretty serious cash. I think they are now hiring down at Cobo arena (TCF Center), a converted overflow hospital. I have heard some numbers thrown around, but it is a bit hard to get details or separate rumor from fact. If you are accepting an assignment here and have any ICU experience, you are going to work in an ICU. That is were the biggest needs are right now.

Great info, thanks! If you want invited to COVID groups on fb, PM me

No questions.

Just wanted to say thank you for providing some real information about all of this instead of the garbage they put out on the news.

Also, thank you for your efforts on the front line and stay safe.

Is there a need for mercenary laborers in the health care fields? Not that the pay is important or that anyone should take advantage of others, but is there a place for someone with no medical background but willing to work hard and risk sickness to help?

Cheers mate. I'm praying for you. Hopefully we can throw a round together sometime this fall or next spring!

Seconded. I haven't been back to Hudson Mills more than twice in 20 years and crave going back, especially after encountering the 2006 DGLO with Al Schack leading on YouTube the other day.

Your Frisbee Family is rooting for you!

I just can't nice this post. While it's probably true, ain't nothing motherf**king nice about it. :(

It's horrible, but it was inevitable:

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-h...ers-coronavirus-symptoms-including-500-nurses

Michigan Health Watch

Beaumont has 1,500 workers with coronavirus symptoms, including 500 nurses

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-h...34-employees-have-tested-positive-coronavirus

More than 700 Henry Ford Health System workers have tested positive for COVID-19, the hospital system's chief clinical officer said Monday.

Hope he doesn't mind my saying so, but Ru works for Beaumont. Not sure which facility he's at, but that's the company he works for. Over the past several years, they've really grown by buying/merging with a bunch of hospitals in the metro area.

Latest posts