• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

COVID Nursing...Ask Me Anything

Man. Glad to hear you're hanging in there, but it has to be infuriating to work in an environment like that. And not using PPE, it's no wonder the virus is spreading in those places so easily. Thanks for sharing, and again, for what you're doing for those patients.

Hang tough buddy! There are people out there thankful you're doing what you can for their parents/grandparents. Sorry to hear that lately, your only sub-par experience has been with the work conditions. :p

So pathetic health care professionals (across the country) aren't getting the PPE they need to do their jobs right. I hear your plight about being the new guy yelling at the existing staff about proper protocol/precautions. That sort of thing can be emotionally taxing.

Last edited:
I now really having to scrap for PPE. The cavalier attitude toward PPE use and self protection here is staggering. Most of the employees in this place seem to just do whatever the hell they want. Some are in and out of COVID + rooms with nothing...no gown, no mask.

A reminder that disc golfers who dismiss the seriousness, aren't the only covidiots out there.

Saw a snowy owl on Tues. :thmbup:

1st - seeing an owl is super rare, that's awesome! I'm still waiting on my first wild owl sighting!

I came to the realization that the times ahead of us (as humans) will be very challenging, and will call for a life of discipline to rise to the challenges that will be presented. The new normal is going to be very different from here on out.

I've been actually slowly pulling away from disc golf and integrating more mindfulness practice through yoga and meditation into my life over the past few years. So the courses being closed isn't impacting me as much as others in my area. That said I have a nice sized yard AND old Hudson Mills #17 basket to putt on every day.. I wonder if you are doing any yoga? If you want help getting started feel free to hit me up! (That offer goes for anyone else reading this) Cheers

SMH....when I made the decision to go back to nursing, I certainly did not have, what I am doing, in mind. Don't get me wrong, I am still working with all COVID patients and what I do makes a huge difference, to the patients I help. But, I am essentially working in a nursing home. It is the skilled nursing area of the nursing home, but such a different animal than the hospital. Equipment, supplies, quality of nurses, nursing assistants, even administrators are all sub-par and sub-optimal.

When I went back, I allowed myself to be at the mercy of my hospital system, as to where they would place me. Well, I am certainly in a place that needs my help.

I now really having to scrap for PPE. The cavalier attitude toward PPE use and self protection here is staggering. Most of the employees in this place seem to just do whatever the hell they want. Some are in and out of COVID + rooms with nothing...no gown, no mask.

I am not a shy guy, but dang I am tired of being the new guy yelling at long time employees. The virus has run straight through this facility and there is NO wondering why. Again, I am just struck by the fact that we are wiping out a generation with this virus.

I am vigilant without exceptions. I even go eat in my car now.....or down by the river that runs along side the joint. Saw a snowy owl on Tues. :thmbup:

Thanks again to all of you for your very kind words and allowing me a place to vent. For the time being, I am just keeping my head down and busting my ass.

Emotionally, I am a lot better. I have been able to compartmentalize a lot of it (a skill that I used to be pretty good at, back in my first go around with nursing). Physically I am getting better. I have lost some weight and seem to be getting my legs back. Nursing is a grueling physical profession and definitely a young persons game, but this aged hippie is holding his own.

I have the weekend off and I am pretty sure Oberon will help. :p

You are not the first person I have heard this from regarding LTC facilities. I know it's skilled nursing where you are, but if it's in one of those LTC facilities, I'm sure it's night and day from the hospital. These places have been the king of cost cutting and **** care for so long that it just compounds with a pandemic like this. A guy I know who works in a nursing home said a pretty significant percentage of the staff ended up infected and two (in their 40s) ended up in ICU beds, both in critical condition last time we spoke. He is having the same struggles with PPE availability and all round ****ty contact precaution practices. Once the bug starts moving through those places with vulnerable populations it gets bad. People start dying fast.

I can't imagine man. I hope all this doesn't hurt your very clear passion for nursing. You will come out the other side better both personally and professionally. I think the young nurses around you are lucky to have an "aged hippie" who may be better equipped to handle the emotional side of this.

Got a question for ya Ru4por. When disc golf courses start opening back up.. what precautions if any will you take while on the course? Do you have any worry about transmission from disc golfer to disc golfer via disc-basket-disc contact? For example, infected person coughs on disc, putts in basket. An hour or so later you putt at same basket. Is there much of a risk that the virus will jump from disc, hang out on the basket, jump to your disc then your hand, etc? Or are those numbers very low? What recommended practice should we have as disc golfers to lower or minimize our risk, once courses start to open back up again? Thanks!

^^^Start using gimme putts to avoid unintentional contact. My gimme putts are already out past the first circle and my scores have improved greatly! :p

Well my better half has been reassigned to the County's EOC (Emergency Command Center). Her new task to call long term care facilities to check in on PPE levels, lining up PPE training and education.

So at least our county is trying to educate the type of folks you're dealing with ru4por. But it night and day difference between hospital and these type of facilities.

Happy to hear you are doing well.

Got a question for ya Ru4por. When disc golf courses start opening back up.. what precautions if any will you take while on the course? Do you have any worry about transmission from disc golfer to disc golfer via disc-basket-disc contact? For example, infected person coughs on disc, putts in basket. An hour or so later you putt at same basket. Is there much of a risk that the virus will jump from disc, hang out on the basket, jump to your disc then your hand, etc? Or are those numbers very low? What recommended practice should we have as disc golfers to lower or minimize our risk, once courses start to open back up again? Thanks!

I am not a scientist, so I can only provide my opinion. I would seem to me the actual risk of virus transmission from person to disc, to basket, to disc, to another person would be pretty low.

I actually played a couple rounds, early in the crisis. A buddy and I got out early, stayed well away from one another, took gimme putts and touched nothing that we did not own. But, we saw many groups abiding by none of these guidelines.

I will eventually start playing, though I am not sure it will be soon. Honestly, I am working too many hours now to get out much. Maybe August. I would certainly have a mask very handy, in case the covidiots decide to invade my space. I will carry a disinfection kit in the car, to wipe down discs at the end of the round and clean up my hands and arms.

I think disc golf could be a nice outlet and coping mechanism for many. I don't have much faith left in my fellow golfers to do the right thing though.

Latest posts