• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Craft breweries, disc golf, and good weather in March suggestions?

MountainMan

Bogey Member
My brother and I are avid disc golfers and brewers, and we both live in cold climates. What are some suggestions for a late March/early April vacation that feature multiple good local breweries, a variety of solid disc golf courses, and warm weather? I was thinking maybe Ashville, NC, but didn't see many well reviewed courses there when I took a quick look at the map.

Anywhere in the U.S. should be possible for us.

Thanks for any help!

Portland, OR. Horning's, Pier, Milo, Bryant and then the hundreds of breweries including Ninkasi. Aw yes love me some Portland.

Go to Phoenix and stay in Tempe near ASU. Multiple good courses fairly close, plenty of breweries to choose from and pretty much guaranteed decent weather. Also, Spring Training baseball is going on. Try airbnb.com for a place to stay. I go every March. Sometimes for the Memorial Disc Golf tournament, always for baseball and beer.

My area of the country, central North Carolina, has lots of breweries, including Natty Greene's, PigPounder, Red Oak, NoDa. Charlotte is a mecca for disc golf. If you are in Greensboro, pay a visit to the Bestway, a supermarket, not a brewery, but generally regarded as having one of the best beer selections, including a ton of North Carolina beers, in the region. Maybe play The Patriot in Kernersville and Johnson Street Park in High Point or just concentrate on Charlotte, which has quite a few highly-regarded courses.

Winston-Salem, NC chiming in....Asheville over central NC IMO.

Great courses, good food/music scene, Sierra Nevada and New Belgium have destination breweries nearby. If beer and disc are what you're after, "Beer City" wins.

Last edited:
Winston-Salem, NC chiming in....Asheville over central NC IMO.

Great courses, good food/music scene, Sierra Nevada and New Belgium have destination breweries nearby. If beer and disc are what you're after, "Beer City" wins.

As I mentioned, I did a quick look for courses in the Ashville area, and only saw one that was highly rated. Can you pass along some courses to check out in that area?

Can you pass along some courses to check out in that area?

Asheville is 2/2.5 hours west so have not played a ton of courses. Richmond Hill is a great challenging course, North Asheboro Park DGC is pretty awesome as well and that's about all I've played in town. Black Mountain is about a half hour down the hill and has a fun course I played when it was a nine hole course.

Forgot this was a disc golf forum for a moment and had beer goggles on, you might be better off with asromatifoso's reco if disc is the primary focus.

St. Louis is a pretty big area, but there are quite a good breweries and courses all around town. Jefferson Barracks and Wilmore are both pretty close to Perennial Artisan Ales. Both courses are great and Perennial is one of the best local breweries in town. There are lots of great courses up in north county and lots of great breweries all along Manchester Rd

Portland, OR. Horning's, Pier, Milo, Bryant and then the hundreds of breweries including Ninkasi. Aw yes love me some Portland.

OP said good weather. Anywhere from central California up through Washington in March is susceptible to a lot of rain still and not even that warm of temps.

I'd suggest Somewhere in the Southwest... Phoenix, maybe? It'll be dry, moderate temperature, and there is good golf.

Asheville is 2/2.5 hours west so have not played a ton of courses. Richmond Hill is a great challenging course, North Asheboro Park DGC is pretty awesome as well and that's about all I've played in town. Black Mountain is about a half hour down the hill and has a fun course I played when it was a nine hole course.

Forgot this was a disc golf forum for a moment and had beer goggles on, you might be better off with asromatifoso's reco if disc is the primary focus.

North Asheboro is nowhere near Asheville. :confused:

There is epic disc golf in western NC but besides Richmond Hill there's not much correlation to beer destinations. My favorites (and I mean top 5 courses I've ever played, favorite) are two private courses in the Boone/Linville area, Sugaree and Black Jack. Nearby N. Wilkesboro has 2 awesome public courses, Ft. Hamby and Rolling Pines and another fun, rugged course Highland Hills that are clustered together super conveniently. Ashe County in West Jefferson is another awesome course worth noting.

The Triad has good disc golf but the breweries don't overlap well there either. The Patriot in Kernersville (I personally don't care for it), Johnson St (High Point) and Creekside (Archdale) are the better courses. Greensboro has some nice breweries like asroma mentioned but it's a DG dead zone. Guilford meadows ain't great and Barber park is incomplete due to construction and not great either. Lake's Edge in Reidsville is a good course but out of the way. Albemarle has two really good courses in Fox Chase and City Lake and nearby Goose Landing is good too but again, out of the way.

Charlotte is your huckleberry for premier disc golf. They also have some good breweries and a DG bar/shop called Another Round. Also likeliest to be warmest of the three.

Beer priority: Asheville
Disc golf priority: Charlotte

If you can get a round at Sugaree/Blackjack and hit the N. Wilkesboro/West Jeff courses and have enough time to hit the Asheville breweries, that will probably give you your most memorable golf/drinking.

In the last few years the beer scene in Charlotte has exploded. There are at least a dozen brewery/taprooms in the city that range from good to excellent. I don't have to sell anyone on the disc golf, but don't underestimate the beer in Charlotte.

Tampa will have the best weather in March. I played a round today in shorts and t-shirt. Who else can say that? Tampa also has breweries, cigars and is becoming a destination disc golf area in its own right with some of the highest rated courses in Florida.

"In the hottest cities during March, the days usually reach the mid-70s °F (24 °C) while at night the temperature seldom goes below 50 °F (10 °C). Weather this warm can be found in Tampa, Phoenix and San Antonio among others. Miami stands out as the only city with daily highs normally reaching above 80 °F (27 °C)."

Here is a list of breweries in the Tampa area:

http://www.tampabaybrewnews.com/tampa-bay-brewery-finder/

Last edited:
OP said good weather.

Lol people's reading comp. The OP also said, "March."

I looked it up, average March temps in Asheville: high 58°, low 37°. Asheville could have the best breweries in the world and they could also have the best courses ever designed, but if it's 40° and raining there in March, I wouldn't know (at least about the disc golf.)

If you want to disc golf comfortably in March, the only places you should be are Southern California or Florida.

I've never played in Florida but I've played a ton of great courses between San Diego and Los Angeles Counties. And I do believe that there may be one or two breweries in between.

https://www.craftbeeraustin.com/texas-brewery-brewpub-tour-listings-map/

Go to Austin or Houston if you want to play in Texas. IMO, Austin has better courses and Houston as better craft brews and weather in March. Both places have both brews and nice courses going for them. By Texas standards, they aren't that far apart.

In north and west Texas, the weather is iffy in March.

I would second the arizona/memorial thing. Always wanted to go that time of year because it seems so pleasant considering most places in the midwest are still buried in snow.

Weather is iffy, but I am running a tournament in March in Pittsburgh. Great breweries and great golf! March 18th, 2017, Shamrock Showdown

Lol people's reading comp. The OP also said, "March."

I looked it up, average March temps in Asheville: high 58°, low 37°. Asheville could have the best breweries in the world and they could also have the best courses ever designed, but if it's 40° and raining there in March, I wouldn't know (at least about the disc golf.)

If you want to disc golf comfortably in March, the only places you should be are Southern California or Florida.

I've never played in Florida but I've played a ton of great courses between San Diego and Los Angeles Counties. And I do believe that there may be one or two breweries in between.

Asheville's in the mountains.....the rest of N.C. is noticeably warmer. Not sure how you define "comfortably", but mid-60s is pretty nice, especially if you're at the end of the northern winter.

But if our travelers want real warmth, yeah, Florida or the Southwest.

Then the question is, how much disc golf? If they're looking for a handful of courses, they can satisfy that a lot of places. If they're looking for a dozen or more good-to-great courses, in warm weather, well, that limits things.

Tampa will have the best weather in March. I played a round today in shorts and t-shirt. Who else can say that? Tampa also has breweries, cigars and is becoming a destination disc golf area in its own right with some of the highest rated courses in Florida.

Wait a minute.....March.....Tampa.....time it right and the Canyon in Brooksville will be open. On top of everything else.

That's where I'd be.

Latest posts