• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Crafting Low Scores - Everything Discraft!

Watching Paul go through his disc in Foundations latest video I kind of question Discrafts marketing choices. .
They take in Paul for a large sum of money, his job is to win titles and sell discs
But looking at his bag, a lot of the discs he throws are disc you can´t buy
His throwing putters:
Clear CryZtal Luna. . you can find it on ebay for +100$
Yellow Big Z Luna. . super rare and hard to find
Black on Black Z Zone. . .Paul have all of those, so you can´t buy them at all
White JB WASP, again super rare and hard to find

Discraft could sell thousands of those discs but chose not to, I really can´t understand that . ..why create a demand if you don´t have anything to sell?
Paul can sell disc. . .so if he starts to throw a yellow Big Z Luna, Discraft should already have them made and ready to sell. . .and when the yellow sells out. . .have Paul switch to red ones and start selling those and so on.
What's the point of Paul baging disc that Discraft don´t have to sell?

They need to resurrect the Surge with production ESP. I've been told they're a hair slower Wraith. Sounds great.

Actually the Surge is a 10-11 speed Destroyer, the beefy Star ones But in ESP they fly like a Beefy Teedevil or more understable Champion Destroyer. Yeah they have glide but not great, about as much as the Archon.

Clear CryZtal Luna. . you can find it on ebay for +100$
Yellow Big Z Luna. . super rare and hard to find
Black on Black Z Zone. . .Paul have all of those, so you can´t buy them at all
White JB WASP, again super rare and hard to find

Discraft could sell thousands of those discs but chose not to, I really can´t understand that . ..why create a demand if you don´t have anything to sell?

Discraft does a great job creating demand for limited runs, which then in turn sell out. That's still good for business. People will look for the alternatives when the LE stuff sells out.

Right now you can't fault them that much - the factory has been shut down for a while. There are equivalent stock runs of most everything on that list - the JB Wasps being the one key disc missing. They've even done 2 runs of Cryztal Luna - and cryztal just isn't a plastic they ever use for standard releases. I doubt that if they haven't made more for PM at this point, that they will be making more at all outside of a LE run. I really can't figure out why people have to have the yellow BigZ Lunas or black Zones, other than to try to be exactly like PM.

I really can't figure out why people have to have the yellow BigZ Lunas or black Zones, other than to try to be exactly like PM.

Zackly.....��

Gotta say though, a dude on my doubles card yesterday had one of the new Z McBeth Lunas. Threw it a couple times and it appears to be a sweet thrower. Nice plastic with good grip.

Edit - Casey is full of shixt as usual about the Surge.

I dont think people HAVE to have the yellow BigZ Lunas or black Zones. . .but if they could buy them many would

And i think people that already have WAY to many Zones would buy that black on black Zone if they could. . . so Discraft is loosing "extra sales" here...and i don´t get why

And is if really good for Discraft that people buy lot´s of LE discs just to sell on ebay?

And is if really good for Discraft that people buy lot´s of LE discs just to sell on ebay?

Yes, they don't have any reliance on the secondary market. In fact, they create a 'secondary' market of their own with all the LE discs. They sell the limited runs for a higher profit margin, and people buy them up like hotcakes (myself included, to a certain degree)

Watching Paul go through his disc ...But looking at his bag, a lot of the discs he throws are disc you can´t buy...

This is interesting to me as well, and quite opposite of his Innova bag. One of his in the bag videos from years ago he says something to the effect of he likes to throw things he can get rght off the shelf, and not the collector items.

Though I guess if they're giving them to you right out of the machines then it's still sort of "off the shelf" but I suspect he had similiar leeway/access at Innova as well if he so chose.

What's the point of Paul baging disc that Discraft don´t have to sell?

Creating demand. They know with limited availability, the limited runs will sell out. Its like a ace in their pocket. Most pro's have limited or rare discs in their bag. Its nothing new. All disc golfers love unique and rare plastic, its part of the sport and collectable market.

If they made 8000 black zones, no one would care about a black zone.

Being able to create a unique bag is part of disc golf culture. Especially for AMs, the life blood of the sport.

For discraft to focus production volume around one pro's bag is a slippery slope. You already see it with the current tour series. The Z luna are selling out. Everything else is sitting and readily available.

According to Infinite Discs, Discraft went from 6.9% of sales to 18.1% of sales 2018 to 2019. It's weird to criticize their marketing when they are skyrocketing.

They were stagnant for so long. As a long time player it's cool to seem them flourishing like this.

Now, why is it so difficult for me to find a decent looking Jawbreaker Roach lol? The mold is perfect for my hand & putting style. The plastic feels amazing & holds up well. Just figure out the appearance please.

Sure the Luna is selling the fastest of the 2020 Tour Series, but I don't see the other stock just sitting on the shelf. My usual sites I buy from, have only a few left of the molds I picked up (Buzzz, Undertaker, Zone), and I had to shop around to get the colors I was looking for.

They were stagnant for so long. As a long time player it's cool to seem them flourishing like this.

Now, why is it so difficult for me to find a decent looking Jawbreaker Roach lol? The mold is perfect for my hand & putting style. The plastic feels amazing & holds up well. Just figure out the appearance please.

I know! I hate the JB stamp. I recently lost one with a mini roach stamp that I loved.

According to Infinite Discs, Discraft went from 6.9% of sales to 18.1% of sales 2018 to 2019. It's weird to criticize their marketing when they are skyrocketing.

Yes that is an incredible achievement. . but i still think they could have sold more IF they had more to sell....many of the top sellers are constantly out of stock

And at the moment Discraft discs have been sold out for months here in Sweden, but thats not their fault
To find a HADEs is not easy. . or Luna

No points for style in disc golf...now you get that ugly plastic in your hands and throw it! ;)

I felt up a Jawbreaker Ringer GT today at a store & was surprised how comfortable it was to hold. I usually pass on beaded molds but the bead felt pretty seamless. It didn't feel awkward FH or BH grip.

Is the only premium option the Z FLX? Seems like it would be a really good mold in ESP.

I felt up a Jawbreaker Ringer GT today at a store & was surprised how comfortable it was to hold. I usually pass on beaded molds but the bead felt pretty seamless. It didn't feel awkward FH or BH grip.

Is the only premium option the Z FLX? Seems like it would be a really good mold in ESP.

Does the regular Ringer feel as good to you? Because you can get that in ESP right now, either in the swirly Ledgestones or a Proline Breaker. Also regular Z, with the SP Breaker.